• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep! I also saw The Ramones at the end of their run. Jamiroquai still better!

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy **** @Parker so jealous you saw the Ramones. Was it at lollapalooza?

I’m only really familiar with their debut and rocket to Russia. This has been my anthem the last few days

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't believe I never saw Prince live.
A quick five off the top of my head.

Meat Puppets at Berkely Square 1986
World Saxophone Quartet in San Francisco (forgot the name of the venue, but I saw The Cramps at the same place around this time in a show that goes on the honorable mentions) around 1990
Pixies at the Kaiser 1989
Jeff Buckley at the Main Bar in Dallas in 1994
Daft Punk coachella 2006

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was Hemphill still with the World Sax Quartet then?

Love this album of his

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes he was. I have a funny memory of a friend telling me a story of smoking weed from his corncob pipe with Julius Hemphill outside a show they were about to play in Portland.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holy **** @Parker so jealous you saw the Ramones. Was it at lollapalooza?

I’m only really familiar with their debut and rocket to Russia. This has been my anthem the last few days

It was kinda nuts. I saw them at this club called Fender's in Long Beach. Crazy loud and the entire place was moshing. I was a nerdy college kid, glued to the back wall. I think it was 1987, geezus. I had their first 3 or 4 albums on cassette which I played over and over. Rocket to Russia and End of The Century. oy, I'm old. ; )

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For when you ask someone out, find ten dollars, win the last level, remember your password, sign that peace accord, hit the jackpot, beat the rap...

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Taken from a cafe in Atlanta. Poor quality but still good stuff.

This is a pretty cool NYT interactive thing on the B-52s first album -- influences, etc:

Still one of the best LP covers ever

Edit: adding another performance of Dance This Mess Around. That b&w one you posted is so great.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I saw GZA perform Liquid Swords awhile ago at the Independent. Could be the thickest weed I've ever been in. I kinda wish I'd been more familiar with WuTang. On the other hand, I love Tribe and the only time I had a chance to see them, I missed the show due to Ms Parker's French Class dinner. :dozingoff:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know! I barely know any French so I was lost the whole time too.

We actually went to the concert after the dinner thinking "it's a hip hop show, they probably won't even go on until 11". We showed up to the theater at 10:45 and people were streaming out, show over. Doh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads