• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

asandman

Reaction score
You may already know his story. Curtis Mayfield suffered a freak accident on stage and lived his last 9 years paralyzed from the neck down. Wrote and made this album during that time laying flat on his back. Recording one line at a time due to his lung capacity. Beautiful, profound song from the album New World Order.

What a coincidence, after going on a Curtis Mayfield binge today I pop open this thread and see this. Here's some more:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went down an early 80's rabbit hole myself this weekend after hearing that Sarah Romweber from Lets Active died. Her brother Dexter led the two man band Flat Duo Jets and was an inspiration for White Stripes. Lets Active's member Mitch Easter produced the early (i.e. good) REM albums that were recorded literally across the street from my junior high school. I saw REM play in the oldest punk club in the US (The Milestone) with about 150 other folks. A year later saw the last Minutemen concert ever as they opened up for REM.

Minutemen Public Access Acoustic

Milestone Club for reference-..saw REM, Go-Go's, Meatpuppets, Replacements, Bad Brains here...

MTV before 120 minutes...Dexter sings at the end.

REM early days

bencap

Reaction score
@Parker Ah, I miss listening to Chuy on the weekends!

I've been listening to Jim Hall quite a bit the last few days, I especially like his first album with Bill Evans:

5a4d3a9e149a67716322123a11ef4a50.jpg

600x470

617billevans.promo_.jpg

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@bencap Yeah, I feel lucky to have such a great local jazz station. That's a great record. Bill Evans is all time. Speaking of guitaists, I was listening to Joe Pass most of yesterday. Not my favorite but you can't deny how good he is. Also are jazz guitarists the nerdiest of the musicians?

@Lorcan7 Looks like Sonny is wearing some Yohji or Comme blazer in that last photo. A friend just sent this to me today. Isao Suzuki bass. Covering my favorite Brazilian soundtrack. Full 70s sound with electric piano.

bencap

Reaction score
@Parker Haha, jazz guitarists are really up there in nerdiness, but I think they're neck and neck with jazz pianists. They're also not all nerdy, as shown by one of my all-time favorites, Grant Green. I'd never listened to Joe Pass before, the guys got chops for sure.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some fine f--cking rock courtesy Ms Parker:

“They were one of the finest f---ing rock bands of their time,” David Bowie told Rolling Stone in 1999. “They were extraordinary. They wrote everything, they played like motherf---ers, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody’s ever mentioned them. They’re as important as anybody else who’s ever been, ever.”

p.s. what was it about 1971?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, never heard of them. Cool find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads