• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been quiet here...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
LemaireSLT.png
miyashita.png

Last edited:

Rookoobay

Reaction score
@endorphinz re: spotify.

I think it's fine for consuming music in a quick/accessible manner (fwiw I have never really dug in. my wife has an account so I am only vaguely familiar as a user). the quality isn't very good, but people can share playlists easily, etc. however, algorithmic discovery is heavily tilted to fraud/pay-to-play. if people think they are finding stuff "organically" by letting it randomize (or however they do it), they are probably mistaken.

the real problem I have with the platform - esp as a (mostly former) musician who has played on albums on there - is the extremely meager earnings given to artists. here's a recent piece on them proposing lowering royalties to a record-low. the payout scheme essentially pits musicians against each other - there's a finite pool of money that is divvied up between all artists, based on fraction of plays. it's a major issue for 99% of artists when they're up against Drake/Adele/Ed Sheeran/the sound of rain playlist (who buys all of his clicks, thus taking away from other artists - see next). there is also widespread fraud on the service, mostly in the form of bots. you can google services that will charge you $4 for 1000 plays on up to numbers that allow someone to essentially double their money.

meanwhile, Spotify is valued at ~$47 billion.

endorphinz

Reaction score
@endorphinz re: spotify.

I think it's fine for consuming music in a quick/accessible manner (fwiw I have never really dug in. my wife has an account so I am only vaguely familiar as a user). the quality isn't very good, but people can share playlists easily, etc. however, algorithmic discovery is heavily tilted to fraud/pay-to-play. if people think they are finding stuff "organically" by letting it randomize (or however they do it), they are probably mistaken.

the real problem I have with the platform - esp as a (mostly former) musician who has played on albums on there - is the extremely meager earnings given to artists. here's a recent piece on them proposing lowering royalties to a record-low. the payout scheme essentially pits musicians against each other - there's a finite pool of money that is divvied up between all artists, based on fraction of plays. it's a major issue for 99% of artists when they're up against Drake/Adele/Ed Sheeran/the sound of rain playlist (who buys all of his clicks, thus taking away from other artists - see next). there is also widespread fraud on the service, mostly in the form of bots. you can google services that will charge you $4 for 1000 plays on up to numbers that allow someone to essentially double their money.

meanwhile, Spotify is valued at ~$47 billion.

Thanks for the reply. I expected these to be your criticisms

I LOVE spotify. I had a approximately 1000 vinyl albums that I gave away, most just left in the basement of my apartment building for anyone to grab. Many were worth $$ but I was pressed for time and just didn’t care. I had replaced most titles and added many more by downloading... newsgroups & torrents. I had about 1 1/2 terabytes of stuff.... and THEN CAME SPOTIFY.... just about everything I had or wanted was on it and accessible in mere seconds on my phone and computer. I VERY RARELY download anything anymore.

As for quality, it’s fine. Let’s face it ,most people use stock apple earbuds, or bluetooth buds. Some connoisseurs “ upgrade” to BEATS which are horrendous. For the record, I listen thru pretty good IEMs Shure SE 846. Also, most music is consumed while doing other things. Gone are my daze of listening ,with undivided attention, on a perfectly curated system in an acoustically perfect environment. In other words, the complete ease of access FAR OUTWEIGHS any loss of quality . BTW, AB tests show most people can not differentiate between decently encoded mps files and wav , flac etc.

As far as the business side ($$) goes, I invite you to subscribe to The Bob Lefsetz newsletter & podcast who, in some entries completely dispels the notion that Spotify is bad for artists. (search his archives) Lefesetz is a long time independent music industry insider/ writer and his newsletter is read by MANY artists & music executives . The podcast is an absolute gem.

Oh, I very rarely listen to Spotify playlists. I enjoy going down rabbit holes and digging to find my own stuff so algorithms mean nothing to me.

Rookoobay

Reaction score
I can totally understand the ease of use. I probably only have 1200 albums left after selling 2/3 of my collection before moving houses - records are awful to move! most of my online consumption comes via bandcamp at this point. even outside of their 100% Fridays they compensate artists very well, employ a bunch of great music writers, and make it a joy to discover new sounds.

As far as the business side ($$) goes, I invite you to subscribe to The Bob Lefsetz newsletter & podcast who, in some entries completely dispels the notion that Spotify is bad for artists.

never heard of him. just glossing over a piece now and I feel confident in saying I won't be going much further with his work.

endorphinz

Reaction score
never heard of him. just glossing over a piece now and I feel confident in saying I won't be going much further with his work.

LOL. I don’t know what you read or what turned you off but the dude knows his **** and is very well respected by most. I have a feeling you read something political which I understand can be polarizing but if you just read his music stuff I think you’d dig it. In any event search through the podcast episodes. If you’re into music I’m positive there are episodes that you’ll find really, really good.... many with artists and some with music execs.

*EDIT* sorry, didn’t see the link to what you read. All I can say is many artists agree with him & not just big ones.. but it’s all good... listen to the podcast

Last edited:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ibibio sound machine have a new song, which features hot chip, which is really fun

that reminded me that hot chip did a song last year with jarvis cocker, which is also really fun

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads