1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Oct 29, 2012.

1. asandman

asandman Member

What a coincidence, after going on a Curtis Mayfield binge today I pop open this thread and see this. Here's some more:

2. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

Went down an early 80's rabbit hole myself this weekend after hearing that Sarah Romweber from Lets Active died. Her brother Dexter led the two man band Flat Duo Jets and was an inspiration for White Stripes. Lets Active's member Mitch Easter produced the early (i.e. good) REM albums that were recorded literally across the street from my junior high school. I saw REM play in the oldest punk club in the US (The Milestone) with about 150 other folks. A year later saw the last Minutemen concert ever as they opened up for REM.

Minutemen Public Access Acoustic

Milestone Club for reference-..saw REM, Go-Go's, Meatpuppets, Replacements, Bad Brains here...

MTV before 120 minutes...Dexter sings at the end.

REM early days

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

4. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I want to dress like someone attending a Latin music concert in NYC in 1960 this summer.

6. Parker

Sabor! I listen to Chuy Varela every Sunday on 91FM. Love 60s Latin jazz.

Today though I'm feeling this:

7. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

@Parker Ah, I miss listening to Chuy on the weekends!

I've been listening to Jim Hall quite a bit the last few days, I especially like his first album with Bill Evans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019 at 3:01 AM

8. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Distinguished Member

Love Jim Hall with Rollins too.

Rollins has had a lot of looks going on over the years

Not many guys rockin a mohawk back then
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Parker

@bencap Yeah, I feel lucky to have such a great local jazz station. That's a great record. Bill Evans is all time. Speaking of guitaists, I was listening to Joe Pass most of yesterday. Not my favorite but you can't deny how good he is. Also are jazz guitarists the nerdiest of the musicians?

@Lorcan7 Looks like Sonny is wearing some Yohji or Comme blazer in that last photo. A friend just sent this to me today. Isao Suzuki bass. Covering my favorite Brazilian soundtrack. Full 70s sound with electric piano.

10. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

@Parker Haha, jazz guitarists are really up there in nerdiness, but I think they're neck and neck with jazz pianists. They're also not all nerdy, as shown by one of my all-time favorites, Grant Green. I'd never listened to Joe Pass before, the guys got chops for sure.

11. Tabooku

Tabooku Well-Known Member

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member