1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a big fan of "dream pop" or "neo-shoegaze" or whatever you want to call it: jangly reverb, dreamy choruses and lots of "la-la-las". I've actually been listening to DIIV quite a bit lately. as well as Beach Fossils, Reading Rainbow, French Kicks, etc. The lower-tech, rawer stuff is my favorite with a few more mistakes help from putting me to sleep.

I just wondered how much innovation can still happen with the same guitar, bass, drums configuration. I guess good songwriting is all that counts, but musically it's definitely a well-worn road.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I have big respect for DJs who's been around for so long and turntablism takes huge loads of practice and skill.
    That said, the music he played seems very ordinary (read: not exciting) and most of these "live" DJ shows where they play the songs out in real time sound worse than a regular DJ set.

I really dig this set by Blawan. While he might not be the best technical DJ, the tracks are dope and the set is packed with energy.

3. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

this thread hurts to browse on 50ppp

1 person likes this.
  4. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

music will really just be updated versions, combinations/hybrids or minimized versions of the past for the most part, pretty much like fashion. the innovation will be in the approach to songwriting, production techniques, and technology. of course, this is only for music with typical structure, just like "wearable" clothing.

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Parker, I don't know if you remember Mystery Machine from their first time around in the early-mid 90s, but they have come back with exactly this kind of thing, although it's a lot more powerful in the tradition of My Bloody Valantine...

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  7. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Freestyle kinda day.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

He gets paid to play predominantly top 40/ open format. His sets range from part "live remix" to just turntables and a controller, it all depends on how he's booked. I've heard his "normal" sets live - it's mostly his scratching / personal edits that make his sets. Then again, 99% of people at a venue won't notice any of it, expect for maybe some clever transitions/song selection.

This is one of his DMC competition routines - he took second in 03. The bit around 1:44 is my favorite.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Q Bert's a beast, but he doesn't get have the same booking value, because he's not as into production / and hasn't adapted his style to something easier to digest. Many of the big Vegas club music directors were old school DJ's, but they still have pretty safe music programming. That's why "big" acts like Dennis Ferrer can get kicked off the decks at big clubs - inability to adapt their sets to the crowd.

http://dj-scene.com/2011/03/ustream-video-final-mikidz-show-w-dj-scene/

That's from early last year, so some of the songs will be dated, but Scene's paid his dues and he's a Vegas resident DJ as well. Some pretty clever word play transitions / old school incorporation, but in the end, it's an open format set essentially.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  11. BreezyBirch

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  12. diniro

diniro Senior member

:uhoh: no

a couple more rap shit:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

cool videos even if you don't like rap

13. BreezyBirch

i think childish gambino is the best rapper of all time

14. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Well-Known Member

wat?

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

How can you be born in the 80's and not like freestyle even a little? A lot of music from today comes from freestyle roots.

Also Breezy, wtf :foo:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  16. the shah

the shah Senior member

i dont really listen to much gangsta rap or hip hop nowadays its kinda done and dusted, now is just about making the next club hit beat with idiot lyrics (versus lyrics that just glorify ghetto life :sarcasm:)
    but some random stuff that came to mind when you wrote that -- altho i'm 64 like sipang, not born in 80s.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

mos def -> saw this guy in nyc at blue note he's done collab with mos def
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

music collab -> beatbox, if your mother only knew.
    vocals and the beat do it all same time, slow dat ish down
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Yeah but a lot of current electronic/reggaeton/etc took cues from disco/freestyle. Oddly enough, Filipinos seem to love freestyle, even though Latinos blew it up.

I'm probably a rap fan first, but I can get into most types of music. Mos Def is great (and by extension Black Star), or should I say Yasin Bey these days. Rahzel and Biz Markie still doing it.

18. the shah

the shah Senior member

this video is hilarious
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

but of course mos def aka یاسین did the song his own way
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

just like when MIMS did this is why im hot then talib went around with niggas lie a lot :laugh:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO][VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Finnish trio, that lasted for a short while. Started by Finland's most famous jazz pianist, Iiro Rantala, a beatboxer called Felix Zenger and a wonderful guitarist called Marzi Nyman. Cool stuff.

20. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Mostly electronic music.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.