• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Action Bronson, Roc Marciano, Freddie Gibbs and Danny Brown are good recs.
You should also check out El-P and Killer Mike's albums from last year.

i dont really like danny brown and i liked el-p and killer mike's albums from last year. i'll try the other 3 thanks

rublev

Reaction score
I thought the Killer Mike record was pretty good. Some really cool tracks. I've not liked anything i've heard from Freddie since str8 killa no filla...., he seems to sound different. Even then i think that record is pretty mixed. When it's good it's up there in Illmatic territory for me (crushin' feelings, personal og, the ghetto) but there's some really bad stuff on there too. When he hits it it's pretty woaahh though.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been playing Tuxedo's free EP nonstop. They're rumored to be Mayer Hawthorne and Jake One if that matters to you. Funky goodness that JT was searching for with his album.

https://soundcloud.com/tuxedofunk/do-it/

Last edited:

jmaudi0

Reaction score

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'll repharse i didn't really like XXX. it was too try hard (to be underground anti-commercial). material got repetitive (sex and drugs basically). his voice is annoying and his rhymes dont make up for it

Last edited:

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XXX wasn't trying to be anti-anything, Danny's just an eccentric dude. And incredible at rapping.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well maybe not the entirety of the album, but there was a common thread through a lot of his songs about commercial rap.

is there another danny brown album that you feel is better?

diniro

Reaction score

i'll repharse i didn't really like XXX. it was too try hard (to be underground anti-commercial). material got repetitive (sex and drugs basically). his voice is annoying and his rhymes dont make up for it

that's one confused criticism.

which other songs talk about "commercial" rap beside Radio Song? and really, he couldn't tackle that subject any better IMO. I hate that whole "underground vs mainstream" argument and he managed to not come off corny.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i thought he came off as corny on radio song. also commercial and sex and drugs aren't mutually exclusive. i dont see how its confused.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
noodly noodly stuff ++ punk

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

one of the raddest shows I've gone to. Probably my favorite band--bunch of ex-pg 99 dudes

hipster

Reaction score
this better not be april fools

tGR5jVH.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics