• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SW&D Intellectual Masturbation Station

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do people still take the mind/body debate seriously? I doubt any doctors would at least

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd suggesting reading about it before making such assertions, I assume you think the dualist side is dumb, but they actually have some good arguments. Physicalism seems most logical to me, though.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? not trying to be a dick. I genuinely thought this way of looking at the mind was considered outdated. Maybe it's because I read a lot of neuroscience stuff (aimed at laymen, not like scientific journals or anything). At least in that community it seems the consensus is you can't separate one from the other.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look up the Marys room experiment, its a pretty good one. There is other stuff as well in books I read a while ago, so I forgot lol

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, it's the qualia problem. interesting:

The Mary’s Room example has been cited by a number of other philosophers, such as David Chalmers who uses the example to suppose that there are additional irreducible properties of the brain beyond the physical ones known to scientists.

It is important to note, though, that years later, Jackson reversed his stance on the argument, explaining that the knowledge argument and Mary’s Room are deeply rooted in our intuitions about the matter, but that science can offer other explanations for the apparent discrepancy.
http://www.philosophy-index.com/jackson/marys-room/

you should check out V.S. Ramachandran on qualia. He's studied synesthetes (people whose senses are kinda wired together) and has some interesting ideas on this. http://planetparadigm.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/qualia-and-consciousness/

EDIT: incidentally, some things you should check out that you'll probably get a kick out of: Phineas Gage; Cotard's syndrome; Capgras delusion. These all support the idea that the mind stems from the physicals properties of our brains.

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yah, I knew the mary room experiment had rebuttals already, gonna check out that stuff, thanks

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"All that was once directly lived has become mere representation" -seems appropriate for an internet forum

(starts proper around 2:30)

andrewsd

Reaction score
there's still interesting fiction dealing with the mind-body problem, e.g. Robinson's Housekeeping, McCarthy's Remainder.

It seems like (at least in literature) the argument for dualism is more grounded; the idea being that art explains the mind in a way that science cannot.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some fairly recent SF recommendations: Ian Macdonald - Brazyl, River of Gods; Adam Roberts - New Model Army; Paolo Bacigalupi - The Wind-Up Girl; Tricia Sullivan - Lightborn...

I'm also partial to a bit of urban fantasy (or 'the new weird' if you like trite 'movement' descriptions) like China Mieville - anything really, but start with Perdido Street Station or The City and the City if you want something less SF and more along the lines of the mid-century European experiemental fiction of Calvino et al.

Oh, and Teger, totally with you on PKD, but not on dismissing William Gibson's post-Sprawl Trilogy work. Also agree that Snow Crash is massively overrated. The Diamond Age is good though, and his most recent work, Anathem, is fun.

Other classic stuff - yes, absolutely, John Brunner, needs to be much more widely appreciated. In fact, read anything and everything on the SF Masterworks list...

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think a lot of people still take doctors seriously, especially if they have any health problems.

skrz

Reaction score
anyone read house of leaves? its perfect pomo jerkoff material

Dellath

Reaction score

Other classic stuff - yes, absolutely, John Brunner, needs to be much more widely appreciated. In fact, read anything and everything on the SF Masterworks list... 

Yeah, that Masterworks list is fantastic. I just got through the Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny which is number 7 on that list.
The mixture of Hindu-Buddhist dogma with a modern western world just scratched a inch i never thought i had, lots of fun! I also loved how he sort of uses Buddhism as a religious weapon.

Sevier

Reaction score
So, I hope you don't me derailing this slightly with a question: has anybody read "The language of fashion" by Roland Barthes? Is it interesting/insightful? Is it accessible to some with a minimal background continental philosophy or post-structuralism?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i dont think you can derail this thread.

my thought for the day: im sitting at my job watching all of our staff getting trained in 'diversity' and the people doing the training gave probably the worst explanation of discrimination and stereotypes ive ever heard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads