1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The SW&D Hair and Grooming thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hipster, Mar 7, 2013.

1. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Wouldn't this be possible if you just thin your hair a bit, get an inch of the top length, grow out the sides and make the parting higher on the head?

I don't think the pic of your messy hair is too far off.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

yeah i guess the thinning is key. there's just so much that it never lays down that flat. thanks for the advice.

3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Art, you should grab pics of what you want and go to a good spot where the people know what they're doing. They should be able to offer some guidance/suggestions. Just keep in mind that if you do try something new its probably going to freak you out at first. Just FYI, always had good experiences at dicksons hairshop on LES.

1 person likes this.
  4. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

At a certain point though, it's simply your hair not being able to keep up with the style you want. You gotta work with what you've got.

5. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

cut my own hair for the first time this afternoon. just trimmed the sides and back, but relatively happy with how it turned out. except for the part where i mixed up the guards and took a swatch out that is way shorter than the rest :embar: seems like something that really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it, though, and I could drastically decrease how many haircuts i actually need to pay for, which is awesome. going to pick up a pair of clippers this summer when i wont have easy access to my roommates. :slayer:

6. Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother Senior member

^bought some clippers and they paid for themselves after 2-3 haircuts at home

although, i would not attempt to cut myself...my wife does it for me

7. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

For those of you with longer hair (4-5 inches), how often do you get the top part thinned?

8. JayFS

JayFS Senior member

^Mine's about 4-.5in and I get them thinned out every 2months? It really depends on how I want to style my hair.

1 person likes this.
  9. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I started showering at night sometime last year because if I showered in the morning my hair was lifeless all day; seeing all those quotes a bit ago in this thread about "if it dries like that it'll stay like that" made me realize what it was I was doing by showering at night. It's unpredictable as my hair gets longer, but I found that I can at least style it somewhat with mo product. Shower, lightly dry, go to bed making sure the top, long part of my hair is kind of laid out in the pillow and not crushed against my head, and sleep. This might sound like it takes a lot of care to keep your hair in place all night, but I find that I don't move around that much when I sleep so it's not a deal at all. You'll get some bits and pieces doing their own thing on some days, but it's a good start. You could probably add a good product to lock it in or make adjustments in the morning. My American fiber does a kind of weird job of it that I'm still trying to figure out the kinks of.

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Anyone have recs for conditioners. Also with the infrequent shampooing, do you guys condition your hair some days you don't wash it?

11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

I do the same, shower and somewhat fix the hair before going to bed, morning after I maybe put in a little product (though usually not) and it holds up way better than if I shower on the morning

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Or you could wet your hair in the morning and blow dry...

13. Flame

Flame Senior member

Been trying to grow hair out so I can get something similar to harvey specter's gelled do.

Sides looks great, Front not so much. Curse my asian har, no way I can slick down the sides without waiting for them to grow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Isn't that due to the fade on the sides? If you have your barber shave it straight up it should get rid of it.

15. Flame

Flame Senior member

^true, but i want to grow sides out to slick down. Also fading the sides gets expensive since you have to do it every 2-3 weeks.

16. hipster

hipster Senior member

just got my hair cut. i think i have made a huge mistake.

17. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Cole

Cole Senior member

Just washed my hair with baking soda for the first time in like a month+. It was thick and hard to control which isn't like it usually is. usually it's pretty easily messed with but it'll stay no matter what I do with it. let it dry a bit and went to bed and when I woke up it was sticking straight up. I don't wash my hair very often and when I do it's with baking soda. ever since I started doing it that way, it's strong and healthy. I never need any product or even a blow drier to style it. plus it grows out really fast now.

edit: here's a picture. selfie in class.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  19. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

I cut my own hair, it usually comes out pretty nice.

Grown in:

[​IMG]

Short:

[​IMG]

20. wurm

wurm Senior member

those are like the exact same length