1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The SW&D Hair and Grooming thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hipster, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

For styling, I use American Crew Fiber, but I'm not totally satisfied. It worked OK when I had less length, but now I'm dealing with around 3" of hair that I'm trying to keep alive, and this stuff is only doing half the job. I'd like to find something that doesn't look shiny, greasy, or wet that still keeps my hair where I put it. Any recs?

2. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

redken men texture putty outplay.

been using it for 2 years or so now. i tried Fiber but didn't like it...can't remember why tho. it's been a while.

i used to use Artec Texture Line Material but i think they stoppe making it so i switched to the redken men stuff. works pretty much the same way.

3. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Put it on your head, wash down your whole body, feel amazing.
    Nothing but natural pressed oils and some sea salt so it doesn't leave a bunch of garbage on your body.
    Soap doesn't need to be complicated.
    Plus there's entertaining religious fanaticism on every bottle.

1 person likes this.
  4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I used to hate having a lot of volume in my naturally wavy hair... I would always keep it short, so if I tried to grow it out it would look ridiculous and I've have a dome of hair around my head. Now, I use a little bit of Aveda grooming cream and cut it longer and layered on top, and shorter on the sides, and wait until it's just a little damp and use the size of about two peas worth of the product. I get all the volume I want, and I can do just about anything with my hair without it looking shiny or feeling crusty.

5. APK

APK Senior member

Everyone loves Synthese's hair, so here's a PM from a couple years back after I inquired about Bumble & Bumble products + his own techniques in achieving that SW&D-famous 'do:

FWIW, I used Sumo Wax for a while, and while it had a nice hold, found it a little too heavy for my fine hair. I've been using Sumo Tech for about a year and really like it. Light, yet I only find it necessary to use every few days (unless I wash my hair first).

Also, I adore my blowdryer. Again, not something I need to use every day, but it's a definite must for anyone with hair that could be associated with the lifeless.

I've been doing the short on the sides, longer on top look for a few years. Seems to suit me well, though sometimes I think my face and hairline (wut up, Propecia users) would be better off with something else. I don't know. Also, I'm starting to get more and more grey hair on the side, though that isn't terribly surprising, since my dad went grey young. It was the weak hairline that I wasn't prepared for!

1 person likes this.
  6. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

MarkI, how long is your hair? I'm trying to do something similar but instead of staying back the front part of my hair sticks up.

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

thread is a good idea but more pics needed. messy --> clean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think those really slicked back looks are best when the sides have some hair and aren't totally shaved down.

1 person likes this.
  8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Good thread, if anyone has some quick solution for changing what the hair is "used to", I'm all ears
    I don't really have thick hair, but it is very very stubborn once I've had something for a while
    Anyone tried using a straightener, and then fixing it after shower like usual (in my case with blowdryer and wax)?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. The Rural Juror

The Rural Juror Senior member

I will be reading this thread with interest. I think I should be able to make my hair look much better than it does, but I'm not sure where to even start. One thing I can contribute: I have switched entirely to washing my hair with shampoo bars. I have bought them in the past from Chagrin Valley, but Mike's Natural soaps now has them and that's where I will be getting my next order from. You can skip conditioner or condition much less frequently if you use a shampoo bar (although I don't use much product in my hair, so I can't speak to that). I just thought I'd let you know in case you're looking for good hair care products.

Also, when I have used styling products I've found Woody's clay to be pretty great for short hair.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

somebody post pics of good asian haircuts

11. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Tussled model hair is what I´m aiming at, but I don´t think I have what it takes [​IMG]

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

asian hair (same guy in both: sung jin park)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. muziq925

muziq925 Senior member

I have thick Asian hair and I use gatsby moving rubber (spiky edge). It has good hold without making your hair look oily/shiny

14. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

synth's suggestions only work for people with thick hair. if your hair is fine, blow drying is an absolute necessity or else you will not have any volume. personally, i've tried cutting my hair short and styling it with wax, but because my hair is so fine and is half-wavy, half-straight, i generally just blow dry it and let it do its own thing. kind of boring, but i suck at using wax and it never looks right on my hair. maybe i just haven't found the right product yet.

15. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Great thread.

I have moderately thick hair with no movement. It's completely flat and straight, dull looking, and just lays down like a mop if I don't use any product. It also has a tendency to poof and stand straight out from the head if cut very short. I imagine som asian guys here can relate to this.

My haircut is the typical "short on the sides, longer on top with fringe" look that has been big on the runway and in lookbooks lately, similar to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seam like a lot of guys just go for cheap pomades and waxes which usually has a higher shine and really strong hold, but I only think that works on guys with curly hair or someone who wants a slick back haircut.

I've found that clay and paste provide the absolute best results for my hair and what I'm going for. They can offer great hold, volume and body with a natural look. My hair ends up looking greasy if there's much shine in it, so I always go for a matte one. The hold has to be pretty strong to be able to sculpt my hair and hold it for the day, but not so much it ends up looking unnatural and I can't reshape it during the day. I've tried a lot of brands and different types of products (fibers, waxes, gels, salt water sprays, etc) and have finally settled for these two, which complement each other nicely.

Hairbond Moulder
    [​IMG]

Completely matte paste with strong flexible hold. Works great for natural looks. Adds body, volume and thickens the hairs. I only use this on the top and fringe. Subtle apple scent. Easy to wash up with just water. Best stuff I've used for natural medium length hair. Only gotten rave reviews and is probably one of the best products on the market atm.

Kevin Murphy Night Rider
    [​IMG]

The hold is stronger and "sets" if you hold the hair in a direction for a couple of seconds. Does not add volume and thicken the hair very much. Greasier and has medium shine. A bit harder to wash out. I use this on the sides and back where my hair is cut shorter to really push it down, as it tends to poof out otherwise. Also use it on the top after applying the moulder to add extra hold texture. Sometimes I only use this one for a sleeker look with less volume.

2 people like this.
  16. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Starts at probably about a 2 at the shortest, blending up to a 4, then at its longest around 5 inches. Looking forward to keeping the sides at those lengths, and having like 10 inches up top.

17. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Going to a white tie student party tonight (I know). Going with a slicked back side part.

[​IMG]

18. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

My whole regime is pretty simple. I have longish hair (it falls in front of my eyes at times), and I go to the gym a lot, so I can't get away with not showering. But I only use cold water on my hair, and shampoo once every week or two. I like how full it looks, and when I let it go a little too long without a shower, I tend to get a lot of compliments.

19. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

desperately need new hair inspiration

20. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Thanks. Need to let my hair grow out some more, right now it's too long for any "short" styles and not long enough to do much else except throw in some wax and just let it fall.

Check out some male model blogs for hair inspiration. Tumblr is good for this.