• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Super Bowl

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Incedibly, I am not finding a thread here about the Super Bowl. So I figured I'd start one. Discuss:

- The Colts.
- Da Bears.
- The commercials.
- What you will be eating.
- What you will be drinking.
- What you will be wearing.

My thoughts:

It's a damned shame the Pats didn't make it back. Their defense was on it's last legs due to the flu and injury in the second half during the Colts, and it just caught up with them -- plus some help from the referrees along the way.

Bears need to shock the Colts today. I respect Manning and Dungy for what they've accomplished (despite Manning's commercial whoredom). But Bill Polian is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the NFL today and to see his organization lose I will support the Bears, even though it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I predict a soul crushing performance for Grossman that will result in the Colts beating the line.

I'll be wearing my recently acquired Oxxford orphaned suit coat and jeans. Now that they have banned smoking in DC I can actually dress semi-civilized without fear.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
But Bill Polian is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the NFL today and to see his organization lose I will support the Bears, even though it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I realize Polian doesn't have a cuddly bear persona but the guy has built 4 Super Bowl teams. He's a genious for knowing when to let a player walk (example, Edgerin James, Mike Peterson) and for finding talent in the draft (Bob Sanders) or off the scrap heap (Jeff Saturday).

What does he represent that is so wrong?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I realize Polian doesn't have a cuddly bear persona but the guy has built 4 Super Bowl teams. He's a genious for knowing when to let a player walk (example, Edgerin James, Mike Peterson) and for finding talent in the draft (Bob Sanders) or off the scrap heap (Jeff Saturday).

What does he represent that is so wrong?

It could be his violent temper, which has led him to attack personnel from other franchises physically.

Or it could be his constant bitching to the competition committee which has resulted in rule changes that undermine the classic physical nature of the game.

Or it could be that those four "Super Bowl teams" haven't ever won **** and it needs to stay that way.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very torn.

If the bears win: insufferable bears fan.

If the colts win: I'll have to change my opinion of PM.

I'm afraid that it's a no-win for me. Gotta cheer for the NFC Norris I guess.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My input on Super Bowl XLI is the same as it was for Superbowl XL...

GO SEAHAWKS!!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Having a BBQ over at a friends and will probably cook some jerk chicken and German sausage and down a plethora of beers.

I have a hard time seeing Grossman perform well today but I think Manning's going to get crushed; 6 int's and 2 td's during the playoffs does not bode well for him today. I think he's a great player but blows once things are on the line (Pats game excluded).

It's a crapshoot.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one is predicting the score!

Here's my prediction:

Bears 17- Colts 13 in an upset!

UMass

Reaction score
Bears must have a Raven & Bucs. game plan-let defense win game and not have your sub-par QB lose it.

Bears defense must not play zone coverage against PM or he will light them up. Colts O have a timing scheme, recievers run to a certain spot.

Bears O should run the ball against Colts.

If the Bears have to come back in the 4th quarter their chances are bleak.

This game could go either way but I lean toward Bears b/c of their defense and this game is on grass. The whole Colts team is based on speed and aided by playing on domed turf field.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Way to be drunk before noon, TS.

Sheeeeiiit son, it aint even 11am yet... Grab daddy another beer will ya?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be his violent temper, which has led him to attack personnel from other franchises physically.

I've never heard about that so I cannot comment. I know the Indianapolis media hate him because he treats them like body odor.

Or it could be his constant bitching to the competition committee which has resulted in rule changes that undermine the classic physical nature of the game.

Depends on your perspective. You, as a Pats fan, call it whining, I, as Colts fan, say he was just standing up for his team. Never the twain shall meet on that one. What is indisputable, though, is that after that '03 AFC title game, the league apparently agreed with him, and the rest of the competition committee and decided they needed to do a better job enforcing existing defensive holding rules.

Now if you want to blame the roughing the passer penalty on him, go ahead, but he's not the only guy on the committee.

Or it could be that those four "Super Bowl teams" haven't ever won **** and it needs to stay that way.

Jeez, did Polian pee in your Wheaties?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Polian complained after the game this year versus the Chiefs that the score was so low because of the physical game being played against receivers in the secondary. This is obviously AFTER the Polian rule change a couple years ago. Here's a great article byt Tom Curran on NBC Sports on what a ***** Polian is:

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/858820/detail.html

The irony is that the Colts offensive line is guilty of way more holding and interference than other teams DBs are (pay attention today to how they play the Bears D and you'll see it) -- and they never get flagged for it.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me if it's true that the official nfl rulebook is not allowed to be seen by the public and is only handed out to the participating teams?

in other words, if i wanted to find a copy of the official rulebook for american football, where would i find one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads