• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Suitsupply customer care couldn't help me, but I think you can!

aliaskalle

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all of you!

I want you to know that I am new to this forum and I don't start new threads just for fun. I have searched for this question at different forums. I also contacted the Suitsupply customer care but they were not able to help me, since they didn't have any suit nearby to measure on.. I have also posted this question in a Suitsupply thread but no answers yet.

I have decided to buy a Sienna-suit but there is one thing bugging me about the measurements shown in the size-chart. When comparing all the measurements with some of my own suits from other brands in the same size, they all seem to match pretty well, except the shoulder-measures. As you can see, I have inserted two pics showing the back of the jacket. The first picture shows how the shoulder width of the jacket is measured by Suitsupply, in a crooked line from shoulder to shoulder, passing the collar. The problem is that the Suitsupply jackets measure like 4-5 cm less than my own jackets when I measure this way, in the same size of course. ALL other measurements are a few cm larger on the SS jackets than my own. However, when I measure my jackets the way I have poorly drawn in the other picture with the red arrow going horizontal from shoulder to shoulder, the measures match the ones in the SS-chart pretty well. English isn't my first language, and I find it kind of hard to express exactly what I mean, but I hope you understand.

Would any of you be kind enough to measure one of your SS-jackets and compare it to the measurement given in the chart. Two measurements should be taken, like in both pictures. By doing so you can help me sorting how the measures are taken exactly.

I know that one can simply order two suits and then send one back, but since my measures seem to differ so much, I'm not shure even what sizes to order at all. I need the suit when graduating from University in the beginning of January so I'm in kind of a hurry.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Kalle.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a bricks and mortar shop - the path to successful on line MTM is riddled with dead bodies and little success.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go to a bricks and mortar shop - the path to successful on line MTM is riddled with dead bodies and little success.

Agreed. I've never tried it but there are enough stories with unhappy endings littered throughout this forum.

aliaskalle

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! The only problem is that I live in Sweden where Suitsupply stores are conspicuous by their absence. Since I'm in kind of a hurry, two shoulder measures by someone who already owns a Suitsupply jacket would make my day!

Kalle

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do it but don't own any SS.

Hopefully you have cross posted in the bigger SuitSupply thread and someone help you.

Edit: Saw you already posted there so good luck getting replies.

Last edited:

aliaskalle

Reaction score
Thanks guys for making the effort to reply to my post. Yes, I seems that their shoulders do run small, but such a difference makes me somewhat perplexed. I'm comparing to slim cut jackets from the Swedish brands J. Lindeberg and other similar brands.

Kalle

Simon at Elite

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have inserted two pics showing the back of the jacket. The first picture shows how the shoulder width of the jacket is measured by Suitsupply, in a crooked line from shoulder to shoulder, passing the collar. The problem is that the Suitsupply jackets measure like 4-5 cm less than my own jackets when I measure this way, in the same size of course. ALL other measurements are a few cm larger on the SS jackets than my own. However, when I measure my jackets the way I have poorly drawn in the other picture with the red arrow going horizontal from shoulder to shoulder, the measures match the ones in the SS-chart pretty well. English isn't my first language, and I find it kind of hard to express exactly what I mean, but I hope you understand.

Thanks a lot!
The first measurement is the shoulder the second is the yoke. They are two different measurements. Most suitmakers want the first one.

aliaskalle

Reaction score
The first measurement is the shoulder the second is the yoke. They are two different measurements. Most suitmakers want the first one.
Ok, now I got the terminology right. However, when I take the "shoulder" measurement, all my own jackets are 4-5 cm larger than the numbers of the SS-jackets which insted are 4-5 cm larger than mine in all other variables/measures but jacket-length where the SS-jackets are 1-2 cm longer. The reason I'm so eager to get the measures is that I'm planning to order two or three suit from SS and I don't want to send all of them back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads