The Suits & Ties of Dr. Hannibal Lecter (NBC TV Show)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dansk, May 22, 2013.

1. Dansk

Dansk New Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the suits and ties of Hannibal an extremely enjoyable part of the show? I saw one another thread somewhere that the suits are Tom Ford or at least Tom Ford inspired, can anyone tell me what brand ties those are (or if that's even something you can tell by looking at it) and if there is a name for that classic teardrop looking design is called. (Sorry, I just recently learned what houndstooth was!) I have little experience in the world of fashion, but this is something I need to know.... so I appologize in advance for anything that comes across as a silly question- I'm not new to forums, and I Googled the ties he wears and was shocked that there weren't a lot of threads (no pun intended!) on this across the internet.

Anyone know what the fabric, design, or even brand those ties are? My avitar is a closeup of one of the outfits, but even where I got that photo there was no mention of the ties' maker. They are a deep rich color, but shiney (silk?) so I'm very interested to know who makes them or where I can find fabric similar to this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. minervau

minervau Senior member

I too have enjoyed the show and the creators' reimagination of Hannibal as a rather dapper European.

As for the "teardrop" pattern, I believe you're referring to paisley, the pattern on a lot of his ties (people also describe it as kind of amoeba-like):

[​IMG]

I absolutely love his suits and the pattern matching is pretty spot-on as well. The one issue I have is with the ugly way he ties his ties -- very thick knot (likely a full windsor) without a sharp dimple, so it looks a bit sloppy. A good example here:

[​IMG]

3. Dansk

Dansk New Member

Thanks! After Googling the term "paisley", I'm positive that's exactly what I was thinking of.... thanks!

I assume the ties are silk? The way the prints are more like stitched in, and stand out on a shiney thread (please excuse my lack of knowlege when it comes to the right terms!) almost if they are embroidered (woven) in there, is there a name for that, or a type of fabric that produces those results?

As someone with nearly no background in fashion I found it to be really luxurious and beautiful.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  4. Dansk

Dansk New Member

Ignore this- same as the photo above, I just figured out how to insert a photo......

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. rachelhope26

rachelhope26 New Member

Ha I just asked my boyfriend if he wrote this. He always talks about Hannibal's suits and wonders what brand they are.

6. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I dont watch the show but i just googled it. It seems at least some are TF, at least the two below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the ties ive seen them from alot of makers but one i can be 100% sure that do carry them is Brioni. Tom Ford does something like that but its usually like blue on blue etc.

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Big fan of SOTL, man hunter, red dragon, Hanibal and suits. Can't stand the clothes in this show.

8. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

The suits are, as a previous SF poster said, completely vulgar.

9. Filmbrock

Filmbrock New Member

I'm with the last two posters. In a show that generally has very good production values and is wonderfully photographed, Lector's suits stand out to me with a vulgarity which is does not fit his daily life personality at all. He reserves such showiness for his uh "hobbies" and he has the brains not to want to stand out in a crowd as some sort of peculiar dandy. It's very bad film making in that one area. The only thing that makes it bearable for me is that Mads wears a suit so well and his beautiful precise acting of Lector.

The would do better to stick to conservative pinstripes and solids albeit beautifully designed and made.

Re: the wide knot....I wonder if Mads ties his tie himself or if the dresser does it for him. What knot is most common in Denmark because Mads seems like the kind of guy who'd do it himself, but it also does quit fit the character.

Unfortunately, I think we're in for an even great taste blow to the series. Mads in some sort of deer suit complete with rack of antlers.

I hope since Mads is becoming a substantial international star he will star employing his own stylist who will protect him and the CHARACTER he is playing from such trash.

10. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

I recently started watching this and I love the suits. Personally I loathe the utterly boring solid navy, charcoal etc you see all around you in the real world. I like the design of the suits, the patterns. Sometimes having all the different patterns on shirts, suits and ties can clash a bit but the color coordination is usually great. The tie knots could be better but then again I guess they wanted to fit the spread collars Mads is wearing. I also like that they keep reusing the suits and shirts in different combinations instead of having new ones for every episode.

11. Mr Patterson

Mr Patterson New Member

His suits are presumably custom made for the show, however if anyone is looking for something similar in cut/style (and money is not an issue) try "Harris Tweed" or "Duncan Quinn". As for the (paisley) ties, I would suggest checking out "Lorenzo Cana"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  12. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

13. Mr Patterson

Mr Patterson New Member

14. erpet

erpet Senior member

15. Mr Patterson

Mr Patterson New Member