• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Suits of Spectre (2015), the latest Bond film

zonda600

Reaction score
Bond looks like **** (appropriately enough, because the films are a pile of crap). The cut of that black suit is awful, of course.

But I like black self stripe with a modest sheen. The peak lapels are wrong, but a single vent is good. Yeah, I said it.

Now come at me, bee-yatchez.

The films are piles of crap in comparison to what, exactly? Do tell.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It is indeed. Designers peddle the ephemeral - that's their purpose. If their stock in trade was high quality and timeless style that suited people, what would they flog to the morons next season?

The idea is to make disposable rubbish that looks ridiculous. That way, once the fad has passed, people chuck out all of the crap they just bought and buy more crap to fit in with the replacement fad.

On the rare occasions designer labels produce things of quality (presumably by accident) they are inevitably overpriced.

*tips fedora

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Algernon is right, Tom Ford's suits are pretty crappy. We've seen how crappy in three Bond films now. However, if he's not a Bond film (or suit) fan, then his purpose in this thread, apart from being a douche, is a mystery.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you expect from Tom Ford? He's a designer - his suits are supposed to look rubbish, that's the whole point of them (well, that and charging a lot for the label).

If you want a suit that looks good you go to a tailor, not a designer.

That´s it.

No one on this forum should ever mention designers if not to bash them.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is indeed. Designers peddle the ephemeral - that's their purpose. If their stock in trade was high quality and timeless style that suited people, what would they flog to the morons next season?

The idea is to make disposable rubbish that looks ridiculous. That way, once the fad has passed, people chuck out all of the crap they just bought and buy more crap to fit in with the replacement fad.

On the rare occasions designer labels produce things of quality (presumably by accident) they are inevitably overpriced.

Great, i love this answer. That´s it!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The paintings of Leighton. The novels of Trollope. The writings of Aristotle. Walking the dog in the countryside. Many things.

The same is true of most films.

The films are also piles of crap in comparison to piles of crap. Other comparisons are available on request, although please bear in mind their crapness is absolute as well as relative.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dictionaries are widely available, and at little cost. Invest in one and look up 'pretentious' - you should then be able to use the word correctly.

OK, let me just call you a dick then

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

OK, let me just call you a dick then

An intelligent and effective response that fully addresses the arguments I made.

Unless it was intended as an insult? If so, it was no less superb - its wittiness is equalled by its originality. You are to be commended.

Nope, he called it. You're a dick.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You take this **** seriously, dude. Good God.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Bond suits, I've been pretty much trying to rip Connery's style off in prep for a wedding I have to go to later this month.

Mixed results. I'm lacking the scorching sociopathic glare.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just here for the scorching hot girls, cool cars, and nice looking suits.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads