• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Suits of Spectre (2015), the latest Bond film

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The majority of women fans who love DC's body seem to prefer the snug look rather than to have the movie's wardrobe director follow good tailoring standards. :)

Still inexcusable. Bond doesn't dress for women, he dresses for himself. Seems like this era will be as bad as the Roger Moore one, sartorially speaking.

How hard can it be to pick out some suits that fit properly? Maybe wardrobe directors should consult a proper tailor before they pick out suits they don't know anything about?

The most basic aspect of a suit is well fitting shoulders, no matter how slim of a look you want, and they manage to get that wrong.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems like this era will be as bad as the Roger Moore one, sartorially speaking.

Err...

art140901-james-bond-live-let-die-roger-moore-navy-jacket.jpg

Not to digress but if you really have a passion for bespoke clothing and its quirks then RM was probably one of the best dressed Bonds (bar the casual wear), albeit 70s, but in that vibe Roger Moore looks more Tom Ford than Daniel Craig does even wearing Tom Ford! Big lapels, ties, loud patterns, odd jackets etc. - early Tom Ford at Gucci then his work when he started Tom Ford.

One thing RM seems to do very well are the eccentricities an Englishman of Bond's social class and education would possess, something Fleming talks about all the time in the books I believe.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Err...

art140901-james-bond-live-let-die-roger-moore-navy-jacket.jpg

Not to digress but if you really have a passion for bespoke clothing and its quirks then RM was probably one of the best dressed Bonds (bar the casual wear), albeit 70s, but in that vibe Roger Moore looks more Tom Ford than Daniel Craig does even wearing Tom Ford! Big lapels, ties, loud patterns, odd jackets etc. - early Tom Ford at Gucci then his work when he started Tom Ford.

One thing RM seems to do very well are the eccentricities an Englishman of Bond's class and education would possess, something Fleming talks about all the time in the books I believe.

Agreed, his formal wear is on point. His casual wear though...

Maybe an intersting discussion: out of all the bonds, who was the worst dressed?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some Moore pics in casual and formal:

Way better than DC's fit above.

Credit to telegraph and Suitsofjamesbond.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe an intersting discussion: out of all the bonds, who was the worst dressed?
Dalton, but Dalton also made the mistake of acting.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dalton, but Dalton also made the mistake of acting.

Timothy Dalton is really good in his latest show though, penny dreadful. I always thought he was the most underrated bond. I recently rewatched his Bond movies, and they aren't bad at all. His background in theatre really shows, and in a good way. In fact, I'd say that after the origibal bond he's the best one.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/james-bond/23192/celebrating-timothy-dalton’s-james-bond

Other travel, I like those outfits. Definitely better than Daniel Craig.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: The outlaw Roger Moore

ummm..

I loved On Her Majestys Secret Service and George Lazenby, but his tuxedo shirts....

We could start a whole new thread on this. Or the Unstyleforum?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timothy Dalton is really good in his latest show though, penny dreadful. I always thought he was the most underrated bond. I recently rewatched his Bond movies, and they aren't bad at all. His background in theatre really shows, and in a good way. In fact, I'd say that after the origibal bond he's the best one.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/james-bond/23192/celebrating-timothy-dalton’s-james-bond

Other travel, I like those outfits. Definitely better than Daniel Craig.

The wonderful thing about Moore is that he's smirking his way through these ridiculous situations. We're in on the joke when we watch him, and it's very charming. He pushes it a bit too far, of course. But Living Daylights is a campy movie with a serious lead character, and License To Kill is an '80s action film more than anything else.

I guess if you want to take James Bond films seriously, then it's Dalton, Connery, and Craig. But if I want a serious spy story, I'm going to read LeCarré. If I'm watching a Bond film, I want ridiculousness -- and Moore did that. Also, his '80s films have perfect wardrobes.

Clothing-wise, Spectre is starting to look like Craig's Diamonds Are Forever.

Last edited:

Robert Glenn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very good and balanced gorge height, reasonable fit elsewhere if you can stand the extra-tight closure and pulling at the sides (maybe a link front would have been better for this jacket?). Sleeves are atrociously tight though.
But I think this kind of fit look good Daniel Craig, I never liked suit fit of Tom Ford from past two movies and the Brioni suits were looking horrible on him (excepting dinner suit)

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are people really saying that suit fits reasonable? Look at those sleeves! Awful! And the whole back isn't clean either. Shoulders are off as well, and there is some collar gap. Moreover, the lapels are bowing, and the trousers don't drape well either.

You can say what you want about the style, but the the fit being off by this much is just very unprofessional. I'm amazed that TF Ok'd this.

Here are some Moore pics in casual and formal:

Way better than DC's fit above.

Credit to telegraph and Suitsofjamesbond.

Good stuff!

th6252

Reaction score
looks black to me, M's funeral perhaps?

i think this is the watch...

t
hard to tell for sure, but the watch craig seems to be wearing in the above photo seems to have a ratchet bezel and seems too bulky to be an AT. doesn't look quite like a PO either that he's worn in past films. possibly the updated 300M with skunk bond nato?

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Is Burlington Coat Factory the clothing sponsor for this new Bond film?
If Men's Wearhouse was supplying the suits they would look and fit better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads