• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

MerryDespot

Reaction score
So ... just to be clear ... when my own order results in customs duty and VAT in Ireland, which I’ll now have to pay on arrival/receipt, I’ll be refunded through a payment back to either PayPal or CC (can’t even remember at this stage how it was paid for) rather than credit with Archibald?

I appreciate that this particular order has become a horror show for you - but shipping these out from the UK is going to mean we’ll all need to be able to pay the charges at our end on arrival - how’s that going to work? Are we going to need to get a receipt to claim it back (if delivered by postal services) or will the logistics be handled by your shipping provider so that it’s seamless for recipients?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ... just to be clear ... when my own order results in customs duty and VAT in Ireland, which I’ll now have to pay on arrival/receipt, I’ll be refunded through a payment back to either PayPal or CC (can’t even remember at this stage how it was paid for) rather than credit with Archibald?

I appreciate that this particular order has become a horror show for you - but shipping these out from the UK is going to mean we’ll all need to be able to pay the charges at our end on arrival - how’s that going to work? Are we going to need to get a receipt to claim it back (if delivered by postal services) or will the logistics be handled by your shipping provider so that it’s seamless for recipients?
We are working out a DDP solution but in the event we cannot and there is a charge as you go to collect the shoes, whatever extra you are charged to receive the item will be offered in the form of a credit or refund to your Paypal. Credit is obviously preferrable but some of you may choose to never deal with us again. Yes if it comes to that, just a receipt. Im taking it one step at a time with the team though, we havent even seen the shoes yet. This was not meant to become a long tail discussion into the mechanics of post Brexit deliveries... I dont have all the answers but I do know that we said no one would be responsible for anything additional.

The good news is that Europe was by far the most conservative with SF01 orders... If this occured in the States we would most likely have to wind down. So here is to everyone who waited to see the feedback!!! Thanks guys!

End of the day it is none of your problems what brought us here, led to the delays, what effect it has had on our business... We made a commitment and we will honour it.

Last edited:

Rewiag

Reaction score
End of the day it is none of your problems what brought us here, led to the delays, what effect it has had on our business... We made a commitment and we will honour it.
this is respectable, but make sure to double check that you are able to bear this cost as it can be very significant on a product you are already taking a loss on as it is now...

The average VAT in the EU is about 21%, plus some processing fees, lets call it 23% total.
After a certain amount it would be cheaper to rent an airbnb in Calais for two days and order your dpd currier there to dispatch the european orders. At the end it is your judgement call, but I would rather see you spending this money on further business and product development than throwing it at eu goverments...

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is respectable, but make sure to double check that you are able to bear this cost as it can be very significant on a product you are already taking a loss on as it is now...

The average VAT in the EU is about 21%, plus some processing fees, lets call it 23% total.
After a certain amount it would be cheaper to rent an airbnb in Calais for two days and order your dpd currier there to dispatch the european orders. At the end it is your judgement call, but I would rather see you spending this money on further business and product development than throwing it at eu goverments...
I totally agree but its that line between the delays that were caused which initially were down to us, from the experience with the v1 we were being very very careful with sampling and in picking the leather for the full veg tan all white. We found two and one wasnt released as an option till late, our gut said it was the better option as obviously a brilliant white without chromium salts is impossible, this is now a fact. When the colour came through it turned out the Italian option had a better colour... So if we didnt wait for the new release we might have avoided the entire debacle just about as we effectively moved into the timeline where disaster struck at every stage in which the production was at.

We should have just separated the production and asked people to wait for the white veg tan ones... That is where we went wrong. In terms of all other aspects of the shoe we had confirmations, feedbacl and testing but we really thought if we sorted this out we woulf have the ultimate white (not brilliant) sneaker. Also we took a beating on the Rose Anvil videos and we wanted to win that thing.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12 pallets being loaded....

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-14 at 11.11.47 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-14 at 11.11.45 AM.jpeg

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many emails we have had where people accuse us of making this entire thing up and that we are earning interest on peoples money and do not intend to deliver them at all.
We are calling it the SF-01 saga now.

:)

Next update: Arrival here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many emails we have had where people accuse us of making this entire thing up and that we are earning interest on peoples money and do not intend to deliver them at all.

I knew you took the money and invested in Bitcoin. Typical Kickstarter project

Staxxx1

Reaction score

Haha!!! Who on God's earth would want such a headache on their hands for possibly 500 GBPs of interest! What an idiotic accusation.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

I knew you took the money and invested in Bitcoin. Typical Kickstarter project
Or Tesla shares?

wooboyung

Reaction score

You wicked man! Give me my shoes now!

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just got off of the phone with the clearing agents we are still awaiting clearance from UK customs... apparently they just haven't got to it yet.

Rewiag

Reaction score
quick question: you mentioned you will be personally handling the logistics from your living room. Do you have the list of orders at hand already?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick question: you mentioned you will be personally handling the logistics from your living room. Do you have the list of orders at hand already?
Yup. Just the onea that are going out, not the spares

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics