• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

Njcc040b

Reaction score
I had the idea that coated leather and good leather were not compatible terms. I got this idea from the shoe snob
Definitely depends. I've had very good Allen Edmonds shoes made with Horween leather that had a coating. Not sure if it was applied at Horween or at AE. But you're right that many sneaker brands hide crappy leather with coatings. Or they use coating to get hues that are impossible with dye. You cannot get white leather via dyes, for example.

CWV

Reaction score
Definitely depends. I've had very good Allen Edmonds shoes made with Horween leather that had a coating. Not sure if it was applied at Horween or at AE. But you're right that many sneaker brands hide crappy leather with coatings. Or they use coating to get hues that are impossible with dye. You cannot get white leather via dyes, for example.
Thanks for the answere. And can coated leather be conditioned? I understand that it can not

Njcc040b

Reaction score
Thanks for the answere. And can coated leather be conditioned? I understand that it can not
I've never heard of a permeable coating or pigment layer, no. In fact, new oils or moisture could delaminate the coating. I think this is why we saw the picture a few posts back of delamination after the shoes got wet. There must have been a crack or pinhole that allowed in moisture or some type of outside substance and weakened the bond. Only way to fix is to get some Angelus and repaint.

CWV

Reaction score
I've never heard of a permeable coating or pigment layer, no. In fact, new oils or moisture could delaminate the coating. I think this is why we saw the picture a few posts back of delamination after the shoes got wet. There must have been a crack or pinhole that allowed in moisture or some type of outside substance and weakened the bond. Only way to fix is to get some Angelus and repaint.
And is Ngelus also a paint coating or dye?

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
... or strip the darn coating and let the leather breath!

Rewiag

Reaction score
Anticato Calf also has some coat instead of dye i believe. This was something I discussed with @OrlandoMo speratedly and i think they fed it back to the manufacturer and were looking for a more permanent, penetrating dye option?

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anticato Calf also has some coat instead of dye i believe. This was something I discussed with @OrlandoMo speratedly and i think they fed it back to the manufacturer and were looking for a more permanent, penetrating dye option?
to an extent though, we don't want to use too aggressive dyes that could ruin the leather. We are testing new dyes at the moment and new coating for the kangaroo, let's see what comes out

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
to an extent though, we don't want to use too aggressive dyes that could ruin the leather. We are testing new dyes at the moment and new coating for the kangaroo, let's see what comes out
Does the roo really need a coating? Is there no way to get uncoated, dyed roo leather from the tannery? AFAIK it's what RM Williams does but I don't really know, I have never owned a pair of them in kangaroo.

Last edited:

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anticato by definition is a hand painted effect so it is a coating. Start with crust and each shoe is individually painted with the anticato colouring.

CWV

Reaction score
Anticato by definition is a hand painted effect so it is a coating. Start with crust and each shoe is individually painted with the anticato colouring.
I thought that the same can be done with alcohol based dyes and polish

ThePetros

Reaction score
Does the roo really need a coating? Is there no way to get uncoated, dyed roo leather from the tannery? AFAIK it's what RM Williams does but I don't really know, I have never own a pair of them in kangaroo.
I'd definitely be interested in this. Full grain dyed leather seems the better way to go on something like this.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
I'd definitely be interested in this. Full grain dyed leather seems the better way to go on something like this.
To be totally honest it is what I was expecting before finding out thanks to @Njcc040b that the roo was coated and seeing it myself when we got the shoes. No biggy here and I was willing to check them out, but the experience has reaffirmed that a dyed, uncoated (we are speaking or whatever kind of acrylic or similar coating the leather has) leather is the way to go for roo.

Rewiag

Reaction score

Anticato is basically a synonim to "patina", and the proper, lasting way to do it is how its done on the video from the Elegand Oxford that CWV linked just above. If it is simply painted as a top coat, it will wear off or fade eventually

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads