• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
So we’ve all had these for a few months so far. How is everyone’s wear and tear doing on the v1?

After a time of almost not touching them, I have spent around 10 days (I think 12) wearing the anticato siennas every day and abusing them. I have been under heavy rain with them a couple times and they hold up very well - in fact, you would probably not even notice a difference with respect to my last pictures, maybe a bit of dirt on the sole I didn't clean up well but that's it.

On the other hand, my gf's experience with the roos has been a bit different: they were holding up well and were reportedly extremely comfortable, until we got caught in a heavy storm and the shoes got pretty wet. Now the leather coating is peeling off in the tongue area, probably due to the friction with the laces... This is pretty bad luck, especially considering that the shoes were a v1.5 so to speak and were a bit newer than my v1s.

photo_2020-10-21_14-59-10.jpg

The leather still behaves well and the peeled zone is not that easy to see under the laces but in light of these recent events I would suggest getting some uncoated roo leather for next iterations if possible! Although yes yes, you shouldn't get your leather shoes super soaked, that is well known and please take special care of your roos - the other ones you can take care of with some renovateur or something, but once the coating is gone on these ones, it's gone. If it gets worse, I might think of removing it altogether as somebody already did since, structurally, the shoes are unscathed and still very comfortable.

I was thinking of uploading new pics of the still good-looking anticatos but trust me, they are pretty much unchanged :) if anything, the shades have gained a bit of character which I could anyway not capture with my poor camera skills.

ThePetros

Reaction score
After a time of almost not touching them, I have spent around 10 days (I think 12) wearing the anticato siennas every day and abusing them. I have been under heavy rain with them a couple times and they hold up very well - in fact, you would probably not even notice a difference with respect to my last pictures, maybe a bit of dirt on the sole I didn't clean up well but that's it.

On the other hand, my gf's experience with the roos has been a bit different: they were holding up well and were reportedly extremely comfortable, until we got caught in a heavy storm and the shoes got pretty wet. Now the leather coating is peeling off in the tongue area, probably due to the friction with the laces... This is pretty bad luck, especially considering that the shoes were a v1.5 so to speak and were a bit newer than my v1s.

View attachment 1484761

The leather still behaves well and the peeled zone is not that easy to see under the laces but in light of these recent events I would suggest getting some uncoated roo leather for next iterations if possible! Although yes yes, you shouldn't get your leather shoes super soaked, that is well known and please take special care of your roos - the other ones you can take care of with some renovateur or something, but once the coating is gone on these ones, it's gone. If it gets worse, I might think of removing it altogether as somebody already did since, structurally, the shoes are unscathed and still very comfortable.

I was thinking of uploading new pics of the still good-looking anticatos but trust me, they are pretty much unchanged :) if anything, the shades have gained a bit of character which I could anyway not capture with my poor camera skills.
That's pretty rough. My white roos admittedly look pretty banged up. Also, the leather is so porous that it absorbed almost every speck of dirt that gets on them.

These are summer shoes for sure.

I'm curious about the insole. I'll say I usually abuse my shoes, but I'll say the ball of the foot has really flattened the inside of the shoe.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
That's pretty rough. My white roos admittedly look pretty banged up. Also, the leather is so porous that it absorbed almost every speck of dirt that gets on them.

I'm curious about the insole. I'll say I usually abuse my shoes, but I'll say the ball of the foot has really flattened the inside of the shoe.

In the anticato's there is a depression with the shape of my foot in each of them, that's for sure, but nothing that actually impacts the wearing experience negatively. For now, at least :p

About the roos being a summer shoe, you are probably right. I was thinking about ordering some roos next and was waiting for more colours (I really liked the idea of green roo) but I must say that, after this experience, I am definitely more inclined to get some CXL instead. Of course I could have gotten both, but I can only wear as many shoes at a time and one has to control the buying impulse... :p

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1484761

Aww man that sucks, sorry to see that.

NonChalant321

Reaction score

View attachment 1484761

Good to know. I wonder how pebble deerskin would hold up under similar conditions.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we’ve all had these for a few months so far. How is everyone’s wear and tear doing on the v1?
With the pandemic, our office dress code has gotten even more casual, pretty much jeans every day. Consequently, I’ve been in at least one of these each day. They’re holding up really well.

2BF536B8-7482-48B1-8492-579368A110DC.jpeg

Last edited:

CWV

Reaction score

Now this is curious to me. Isn’t the problem if Coates leather that the pores are covered with the coating which ultimately leads to its siphocation, dryness and death? How does that come into play with this too being very absorbent?
I’m confused

ThePetros

Reaction score
Now this is curious to me. Isn’t the problem if Coates leather that the pores are covered with the coating which ultimately leads to its siphocation, dryness and death? How does that come into play with this too being very absorbent?
I’m confused
I would think that the leather is likely too dry as it is, and therefore prone to absorbing any moisture along with any dirt etc.

I’m no leather expert, so if anyone wants to chime here - by all means do so. I have let renovateur soak into it since and it’s been better, but I will say there is zero protection for rain, along with tongue gate on my v1 - near useless for anything but bone dry weather.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
I would think that the leather is likely too dry as it is, and therefore prone to absorbing any moisture along with any dirt etc.

I’m no leather expert, so if anyone wants to chime here - by all means do so. I have let renovateur soak into it since and it’s been better, but I will say there is zero protection for rain, along with tongue gate on my v1 - near useless for anything but bone dry weather.
While I initially thought that the coating would help with water, I stand corrected - maybe you are right and it is due to the leather underneath being very dry and water coming in from the edges or wherever else, I don't know. Or maybe the coating itself is kind of porous? In any case, when the leather is very wet (how it gets to that state having the coating on top I cannot tell), it inevitably leads to a separation of the coating with minimal friction, kind of 'ungluing' it.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
While I initially thought that the coating would help with water, I stand corrected - maybe you are right and it is due to the leather underneath being very dry and water coming in from the edges or wherever else, I don't know. Or maybe the coating itself is kind of porous? In any case, when the leather is very wet (how it gets to that state having the coating on top I cannot tell), it inevitably leads to a separation of the coating with minimal friction, kind of 'ungluing' it.
Interesting topic. I have a pair of grey roo v1's and have a pair of black roo v2's on the way. The greys' have held up well so far. One of the reasons I went for black in the v2 is that if/when the coating comes off, you couldn't tell much of a difference. I'd be interested to hear from any roo aficionados; what is the best way to look after roo that has been coated in this way? Obviously avoiding torrential rain would help but not always practicable in the UK!

Rewiag

Reaction score

View attachment 1484761

Altho its not easy to tell from the pictures, but I have the suspicion that the thing that is peeling off is not actually the leather, but more of the rubbery paint that was applied. Leather does not peel of like this, but silicon based paint does.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Altho its not easy to tell from the pictures, but I have the suspicion that the thing that is peeling off is not actually the leather, but more of the rubbery paint that was applied. Leather does not peel of like this, but silicon based paint does.
Yep, me too, that's what I call 'coating' in my post, another user had removed it himself and exposed the leather underneath

Potatoe

Reaction score

This makes me sad.
I originally ordered the calf but changed after seeing the roos.
Now I wish I hadent.
I live in Vancouver Canada, its always raining here ?

Njcc040b

Reaction score
Yep, me too, that's what I call 'coating' in my post, another user had removed it himself and exposed the leather underneath
Yes, I removed the coating basically immediately. Pictures earlier in the thread.

I do this with most of my quality shoes so I can take care of the leather itself rather than a plastic covering. Sometimes coatings are just thin clear coats but on the Roos it was a pretty thick paint.

Roo leather is good stuff and is actually pretty water resistant on its own. That's why it's used on football boots - not only soft and strong (meaning it can be split thin yet stay durable), but doesn't get waterlogged and heavy in wet conditions. I'd say the wear and water staining people are seeing must be the coating itself and not the leather. You can take care of that superficial layer like it's plastic...because basically it is.

My "naked" roo shoes get a lot of wear and are holding up great. They've been in the wet with no spotting. I just clean them with saddle soap every so often.

All that said, my V2 order was the white roo with blue soles. The white is certainly paint, and I'm going to put my leather snobbishness aside and leave them factory because they just looked too dang good to pass up.

CWV

Reaction score
Yes, I removed the coating basically immediately. Pictures earlier in the thread.

I do this with most of my quality shoes so I can take care of the leather itself rather than a plastic covering. Sometimes coatings are just thin clear coats but on the Roos it was a pretty thick paint.

Roo leather is good stuff and is actually pretty water resistant on its own. That's why it's used on football boots - not only soft and strong (meaning it can be split thin yet stay durable), but doesn't get waterlogged and heavy in wet conditions. I'd say the wear and water staining people are seeing must be the coating itself and not the leather. You can take care of that superficial layer like it's plastic...because basically it is.

My "naked" roo shoes get a lot of wear and are holding up great. They've been in the wet with no spotting. I just clean them with saddle soap every so often.

All that said, my V2 order was the white roo with blue soles. The white is certainly paint, and I'm going to put my leather snobbishness aside and leave them factory because they just looked too dang good to pass up.
I had the idea that coated leather and good leather were not compatible terms. I got this idea from the shoe snob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads