• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

CWV

Reaction score
thanks for the detailed review, really helpful!

We decided to go ahead and produce 6 different combos of leather-sole. What do you guys think would work best?

For now we were planning on making 2 veg-tan calfskin, 2 chromexcel, 2 anticato, 1 deerskin pebble
N8 cxl with gum sole, black with gum, maybe off white calf too

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the detailed review, really helpful!

We decided to go ahead and produce 6 different combos of leather-sole. What do you guys think would work best?

For now we were planning on making 2 veg-tan calfskin, 2 chromexcel, 2 anticato, 1 deerskin pebble
My feedback: Gum sole option on all colors.
- Natural and #8 chromexcel
- Bordeaux anticato
- Green anticato
- Tan suede ( I know you didn’t mention, but I really think you should consider it)
- Sienna/Tan Deer skin pebble
- Sand Calf

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Working on the GAT first batch

PHOTO-2020-10-13-11-46-53.jpeg
3a919eaa-4812-47ac-b6c5-b8d176b14456.jpeg

Staxxx1

Reaction score
There appear to be two types.... the original antelope leather and Horween's Kudu leather that is heavily oiled calfskin.

CWV

Reaction score
Has anyone ever worn a shoe made with Kudu leather? We are developing a new sneaker and we would like to understand what's the best material we can use
What’s cool about kudu is it grain and imperfection. For what I know they are prone to scars, so those marks give a special character to the shoe

CWV

Reaction score
On the subject of insoles and fit, and given that there are no half sizes, have you considered shipping the shoe with 2 insoles? One for a more snug fit and anothe for a roomier one? Or maybe with a removable “under índole” which could be a simple corck or leather sheet that can be removed for more room? This way you can better fit people in between sizes

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of insoles and fit, and given that there are no half sizes, have you considered shipping the shoe with 2 insoles? One for a more snug fit and anothe for a roomier one? Or maybe with a removable “under índole” which could be a simple corck or leather sheet that can be removed for more room? This way you can better fit people in between sizes
its a great suggestion, i think we are able to offer a separate insole as an additional product when someone tries to order a pair of shoes. If we build it into the package as such its just driving up the price by quite a bit given it would be a pretty high quality item regardless. So perhaps as an extra it might be an idea. The only issue is we would only be able to offer it in pre-order batches upon request.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... there is a lot of bad news coming out these days so we thought we would offer something to balance things out.

We have just confirmed the specs of the final proto for the Horween Shell Cordovan version of the SF-01.

It will be an ultra special edition with a goodyear construction so it will allow for re-soles and that beautiful leather can last forever.
Include two additional sets of Margom Soles so when it comes to re-soling them it can be done.
Leather floorboard.
We are testing different "special edition" removeable insoles but this won't delay anything.
Special Edition - so a limited number will be made available.

Hope we are keeping up with expectations.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I also got a chance to test the unlined pebble grain sneakers.

Here’s the description of them from AoL:
The pebble grain are made with a chromium tanned pebbled lightweight calfskin. They are partly unlined and they come with a Strobel construction. You are basically able to twist them or fold them as much as you want. The floorboard is made with bio and recyclable materials. The glue used is water based.
3241583F-7F16-4F15-8C56-B4BEB701C698.jpeg
DA78B53F-6C1E-44A6-8E4C-F429071EFD71.jpeg
BB6EB4AA-04F3-4DFD-B625-79906BFF4021.jpeg
97E5343D-807E-49A2-A3E0-E258B85B8AF8.jpeg
961D7F6B-34F0-4E2E-96B8-85810B10E274.jpeg

- First off let me say bravo to AoL for incorporation of sustainable materials in the construction of the shoes. It’s great when companies chose to take a vested interest in our planet, by incorporating this concept.
- the fit for me was perfect in my size 42 with the normal insole: context - Barrie size is 9E, EB 74945 UK8.5G/ 363Mod UK8.5, AE 1757 9E.
- the slightly thicker coconut insole that I mentioned in my review of the hi-tops made the comfort of them off the charts comfortable for me. However, only with thin dress socks.
- They quite literally feel as though I’m wearing slippers. I want to re-iterate they feel like slippers on my feet. I wore them around the house for 7 hours as I went about the day, with the coconut insole. They are remarkably comfortable.
- again the issue with the coconut insole is they alter the size of the shoe. For me, thin dress socks resolve the issue, but thicker socks are not an option with the thick coconut insole. AoL needs to consider offering the coconut insoles as an add on option, as they significantly change the fitting.
- the pebble grain leather is buttery soft. I can only imagine how gorgeous they will be in other colors.
- the fact that they are unlined obviously is what makes these special, and I predict a future big hit in the AoL stable.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, it seems to me the hits just keep coming from these guys. I honestly couldn’t find anything I didn’t like about them, (other than they are all white :p)
So, my overall verdict obviously is, these are outstanding. A few pairs are destined for my shoe room.

Last edited:

greenlightning

Reaction score
So... there is a lot of bad news coming out these days so we thought we would offer something to balance things out.

We have just confirmed the specs of the final proto for the Horween Shell Cordovan version of the SF-01.

It will be an ultra special edition with a goodyear construction so it will allow for re-soles and that beautiful leather can last forever.
Include two additional sets of Margom Soles so when it comes to re-soling them it can be done.
Leather floorboard.
We are testing different "special edition" removeable insoles but this won't delay anything.
Special Edition - so a limited number will be made available.

Hope we are keeping up with expectations.
Any chance on hidden eyelets on these to make them last forever? And yes, long time lurker checking in here. Love my sienna sf-01 first batch.

mugenlove

Reaction score

The pebble grain are made with a chromium tanned pebbled lightweight calfskin. They are partly unlined and they come with a Strobel construction. You are basically able to twist them or fold them as much as you want. The floorboard is made with bio and recyclable materials. The glue used is water based.
View attachment 1479141 View attachment 1479142 View attachment 1479143 View attachment 1479145 View attachment 1479146

- First off let me say bravo to AoL for incorporation of sustainable materials in the construction of the shoes. It’s great when companies chose to take a vested interest in our planet, by incorporating this concept.
- the fit for me was perfect in my size 42 with the normal insole: context - Barrie size is 9E, EB 74945 UK8.5G/ 363Mod UK8.5, AE 1757 9E.
- the slightly thicker coconut insole that I mentioned in my review of the hi-tops made the comfort of them off the charts comfortable for me. However, only with thin dress socks.
- They quite literally feel as though I’m wearing slippers. I want to re-iterate they feel like slippers on my feet. I wore them around the house for 7 hours as I went about the day, with the coconut insole. They are remarkably comfortable.
- again the issue with the coconut insole is they alter the size of the shoe. For me, thin dress socks resolve the issue, but thicker socks are not an option with the thick coconut insole. AoL needs to consider offering the coconut insoles as an add on option, as they significantly change the fitting.
- the pebble grain leather is buttery soft. I can only imagine how gorgeous they will be in other colors.
- the fact that they are unlined obviously is what makes these special, and I predict a future big hit in the AoL stable.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, it seems to me the hits just keep coming from these guys. I honestly couldn’t find anything I didn’t like about them, (other than they are all white :p)
So, my overall verdict obviously is, these are outstanding. A few pairs are destined for my shoe room.
I’ll cope those for sure.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

View attachment 1479141 View attachment 1479142 View attachment 1479143 View attachment 1479145 View attachment 1479146

I am intrigued by the coconut insole. I know it might affect the sizing, but it sounds so good I might just go for it and take the risk. As you noted, it probably depends on the thickness of your socks. I would usually wear dress socks unless I am wearing boots, so it might be ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads