• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great review. So does this mean that if my SF-01’s fit just right with the old insoles, any subsequent orders with the new insoles will likely be too tight/need sizing up?
Thanks.
Good question. In my case, I noticed because the temps here have dipped, so I have been wearing thicker wool socks. The fit is too tight for my liking with the thicker wool socks, as can be expected I suppose. When I wear my normal athletic socks, or regular dress socks, the fit is very good. Right now I’m wearing normal dress socks and the fit is perfect. The thick wool socks would likely work after I’ve broken the leather in more. For me personally, I’m not going to change the shoe size I typically order.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Great review. Very keen to try the deerskin.

CWV

Reaction score
Are the new insoles renovable? I think the insoles in the v1 are not

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the new insoles renovable? I think the insoles in the v1 are not
Yes, all versions of the shoes have removable insoles as far as I know. My v1’s do, and the hi-tops I have do as well.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Archibald London was nice enough to allow me to test this pair of SF-Hi-Tops.
View attachment 1475788

I have to say, being one not too crazy about white sneakers, the gum sole version really caught my fancy.

View attachment 1475789

My thoughts on them:

- personally I feel like this collaboration between SF/AoL has produced an absolutely beautiful shoe.
- Archibald sent two lengths of strings to me and the string length issue has been resolved. Some of the images I’ve shown are with the shorter set, but you can see from the other images the other sets length were perfect.
- no tongue gate issue.
- I wore them with the normal inserts for a little over 11 hours and they were exceptionally comfortable. This was surprising to me, as my plantar fasciitis is pretty severe.
- the aloe vera/leather board insole inserts are really, really comfortable.
- the size was 42, and as another poster pointed out when using the normal inserts, there is a noticeable fitting difference. For me, normal insole inserts made the high top a little bit large with thin/medium socks. With my weather proof merino wool socks they fit spot on. The aloe vera/leather board insole insert, made the fit spot on with thin/medium socks, with the merino wool socks, too tight. You can note the difference in thickness, in the image below, between the two inserts. The normal insert is on the left.
View attachment 1475813
- there was one thing that was curious to me. The leather on the hi-tops, seems inferior to my SF-01 Sienna calf low tops. When I press down with my thumb on the hi-tops leather, the crinkling of the hi-tops leather is much more, vs my SF-01’s. Perhaps it’s just the difference between veg tan and chrome tanned.

Overall, I really think AoL has done it again with an outstanding hi-top version of their SF sneaker. I’m definitely looking forward to purchasing some of the additional colors, and leathers they settle on.

View attachment 1475826

View attachment 1475821 View attachment 1475822 View attachment 1475823
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. This will be very helpful and I guess a good reason to fast track this version.

I do think there was some confusion with a few things so just want to clarify.

The aloe and leather piece is the floorboard not one of the removable insoles, so that is currently a standard but there is a little worry that the aloe layer raises the foot by 2 mm so we are just awaiting final feedback from @ThePetros before confirming aloe+leather vs leather only as the floorboard. The aloe provides an internal cooling effect which is really cool but we dont want to have sizing issues with the v2 now that everyone has found theirs through the v1.

So the insoles tested were two kinds, the original foam insoles like on the v1 which are pretty comfortable and the one labeled c which i believe is a combination of fibreboard and maybe cork... I am guessing the fit was better using the original?

Thanks again for such wonderful feedback! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the ultralight version with strobel construction as well!

CWV

Reaction score
  1. [GALLERY=[QUOTE="ArchibaldRoh, post: 10415516, member: 285632"]
they are removable, try gripping from the side.
[/QUOTE]

My v1 are like this inside. I’m not pulling all that hard because I’m afraid of damaging them. Just wanted to check there is nothing wrong with my pair (or missing insert) as it seems I can’t take them out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 69

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
El
El

My v1 are like this inside. I’m not pulling all that hard because I’m afraid of damaging them. Just wanted to check there is nothing wrong with my pair (or missing insert) as it seems I can’t take them out.
just need to find a blunt knife like a butter knife and get some leverage on one of the sides with a small gap... in yours like the back there is a small gap. None of them have a glued down insole.

Reactions: CWV

CWV

Reaction score
just need to find a blunt knife like a butter knife and get some leverage on one of the sides with a small gap... in yours like the back there is a small gap. None of them have a glued down insole.
Thx!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. This will be very helpful and I guess a good reason to fast track this version.

I do think there was some confusion with a few things so just want to clarify.

The aloe and leather piece is the floorboard not one of the removable insoles, so that is currently a standard but there is a little worry that the aloe layer raises the foot by 2 mm so we are just awaiting final feedback from @ThePetros before confirming aloe+leather vs leather only as the floorboard. The aloe provides an internal cooling effect which is really cool but we dont want to have sizing issues with the v2 now that everyone has found theirs through the v1.

So the insoles tested were two kinds, the original foam insoles like on the v1 which are pretty comfortable and the one labeled c which i believe is a combination of fibreboard and maybe cork... I am guessing the fit was better using the original?

Thanks again for such wonderful feedback! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the ultralight version with strobel construction as well!
Aha, so sorry for creating confusion on the insert.

Yes, the fit with the normal insert was much better and corresponds to the sizing guide I used successfully, to order my SF-01v1.

When I paired the insert labeled “c” with dress socks, the fit was excellent. The new insole, labeled “c”, is very thick, and exceptionally comfortable.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I fell in love with these the moment I saw them. This is, in my opinion, and even better shout than the low tops. The white and gum combo makes it that much better.

I hope these go up for sale ASAP.
thanks for the detailed review, really helpful!

We decided to go ahead and produce 6 different combos of leather-sole. What do you guys think would work best?

For now we were planning on making 2 veg-tan calfskin, 2 chromexcel, 2 anticato, 1 deerskin pebble

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Aha, so sorry for creating confusion on the insert.

Yes, the fit with the normal insert was much better and corresponds to the sizing guide I used successfully, to order my SF-01v1.

When I paired the insert labeled “c” with dress socks, the fit was excellent. The new insole, labeled “c”, is very thick, and exceptionally comfortable.
The insoles C are actually made of coconut! Great for the coconut butter guy @tropics

Last edited:

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Some suggestions: Black pebble deerskin/black; white calfskin/gum; No. 8 chromexcel/black; English tan chromexcel/gum; green anticato/gum; wine anticato/gum

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the timeframe for high tops? Would be great to get some on xmas present list...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads