• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Sorry about chiming in so late, last few weeks were pretty crazy. Although I have already told @OrlandoMo my opinion regarding the v1.5 (almost v2?) we got, I figured it is only fair to also post it here - I just did not find the time until now.

The comparison can't be 100% accurate, since I cannot wear the new shoes - they were the pair I originally ordered for my gf which never came. They are reportedly also very comfortable. The v1 is my pair, and it's the one in anticato Sienna. The one in grey kangaroo is the "v1.5", which I call like this because the final v2 does have some further changes. Some shoots in the wild with and without foot:

hOLdJkv.jpg

8UcPdQN.jpg

As you can see, the anticato shoe (mine, v1) does have some weird creases towards the front, which are directly caused by the tongue gate issue. The new shoe does not seem to have this. They have been worn more or less the same amount of time (mine admittedly a bit longer, but not that much tbh).

A shoot of the v1.5 alone:
hGuZgEb.jpg

From this picture alone, one might be tempted to think that some weird creasing happens as well but observing only the area of interest of both shoes, it becomes clear that the tongue gate has been completely solved:
0qk11AG.jpg

Abf37qn.jpg

As pictured above, the tongue is very narrow in the v1 in comparison to the v1.5, where its extension cannot even be seen from a comparable perspective. The laces, however, were basically exactly as long as in the v1 - according to Orlando, they are probably still from the old stock. I find important to say, however, that even the original laces are not thaaaaaaat short - the shoes just come laced in an inconvenient way. Let me explain: the way the shoes come from the factory, the laces seem too short and the shoes are a bit uncomfortable: they always feel a bit too narrow with that lacing!. Just changing the lacing automatically solves both problems. The lacing I used in these pictures is admittedly much worse aesthetically speaking but functionally, it does indeed work...

Regarding the loop on the tongue: I have stopped using it and I have even mingled with the idea of removing it. It does not really bother much, but the shoe is much sleeker and clean without it. I think this comparison shows it clearly.

I don't really know what else I can say about the shoes without being able to wear them myself - they are an improvement of an already very good and comfortable shoe which solves the main issue, which is the tongue gate. Everything else is just a 'major' modification towards structure I would say and the only point I really deem would make the shoes stand out even more is the possibility of resoling them no problem, although @OrlandoMo already told me there is still some way to go until we are there.

Regarding the scarves: I would be up to testing them. I already have some standard Archibald cashmere scarves I could compare them to, if it helps. However, I am not located in the UK (at least, Germany was not part of the UK the last time I checked ;) ).

rnathanthomas

Reaction score
I'm curious about purchasing but am a little unsure of sizing.

I'm a 9.5D US Brannock - CP in 42 are too snug, CP in 43 are too long. I also have a long list of lasts/sizes if that would be easier.

One other item as well (sorry if it's been addressed prior). It was mentioned to me that black kangaroo is not an MTO option, is there any knowledge when it might be offered again as MTO? (or on a black/white soles?)

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Does anyone experience the heel of the SF-01 (v1) "un-heeling" your ankle or no-show socks? I experience with some sneakers, but not with others. My SF-01 fits correctly - I just haven't quite deduced what causes that to happen. Any advice would be appreciate (besides going with longer socks or no-slips).

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Does anyone experience the heel of the SF-01 (v1) "un-heeling" your ankle or no-show socks? I experience with some sneakers, but not with others. My SF-01 fits correctly - I just haven't quite deduced what causes that to happen. Any advice would be appreciate (besides going with longer socks or no-slips).

Happened to me in the beginning. It doesn't happen that often anymore. Only thing I changed was the lacing and now everything is well held in place. This was the same experience with my gf and her pair, and she has very very narrow heels.

It can be that the shoes are more 'broken in', but we are talking sneakers, so that shouldn't be the case. I think the lacing they come out of the factory with is what causes problems with heel slippage and even with people feeling the shoes are too narrow.

Of course your heels could be much narrower than mine but giving it a try is free...

For other sneakers it could also be the case. I think the suede-lined heel helps a bit with that...

Last edited:

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Happened to me in the beginning. It doesn't happen that often anymore. Only thing I changed was the lacing and now everything is well held in place. This was the same experience with my gf and her pair, and she has very very narto

It can be that the shoes are more 'broken in', but we are talking sneakers, so that shouldn't be the case. I think the lacing they come out of the factory with is what causes problems with heel slippage and even with people feeling the shoes are too narrow.

Of course your heels could be much narrower than mine but giving it a try is free...

For other sneakers it could also be the case. I think the suede-lined heel helps a bit with that...

Thanks - ill try cross lacing

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Please report back with the results. I am quite curious to see whether it does indeed generally fix the problem or whether it only works for us.
Having had this problem with the SF-01 I can confirm that I did not have that issue with the Ghirlandina sneakers. I have come to the conclusion that it is because the heel cup in the Ghirlandina is about 5mm deeper than my SF-01 and therefore after being laced up holds my shoe nicely. I might be wrong as I am not aware of the details of the construction.
I tried various lacing set ups (all thanks to an FM who posted a link to an amazing site which gave you more details and options about lacing than I thought possible) but that was mainly because the laces were a little short. Eventually I went back to the stock cross-lacing and that was the best option to minimize the heel slippage.
However, saying all this, I have a feeling that the question the OP was asking was regarding how some shoes and sneakers seem to pull your socks off the heel and down to the instep when walking. I would also love to know the physiological reason for this. I think the Falke non-slip no-show socks might help?

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Having had this problem with the SF-01 I can confirm that I did not have that issue with the Ghirlandina sneakers. I have come to the conclusion that it is because the heel cup in the Ghirlandina is about 5mm deeper than my SF-01 and therefore after being laced up holds my shoe nicely. I might be wrong as I am not aware of the details of the construction.
I tried various lacing set ups (all thanks to an FM who posted a link to an amazing site which gave you more details and options about lacing than I thought possible) but that was mainly because the laces were a little short. Eventually I went back to the stock cross-lacing and that was the best option to minimize the heel slippage.
However, saying all this, I have a feeling that the question the OP was asking was regarding how some shoes and sneakers seem to pull your socks off the heel and down to the instep when walking. I would also love to know the physiological reason for this. I think the Falke non-slip no-show socks might help?

Well to my understanding the causes of heel-slippage and sock-pulling are very similar. I don't have a PhD in that topic though and I might as well be wrong.

Even if Falke are renowned, my experience has not been very positive but I admittedly haven't used their non-slip no-show socks.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well to my understanding the causes of heel-slippage and sock-pulling are very similar. I don't have a PhD in that topic though and I might as well be wrong.

Even if Falke are renowned, my experience has not been very positive but I admittedly haven't used their non-slip no-show socks.
I don’t have the slippage problem with the heel on my SFO1, but I did have the problem with no show socks coming off at the heel, and searched for socks that would stay on my heel. The no show socks that solved it for me were the Kane 11 Laylo. They’re not cheap, but for me they work.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My extensive research (frustration) on this topic has raised the theory that shoes with less flexible mid/outsoles - think Margom vs Zoom React - pull the sock off more. Other non sock quality factors are: the looseness of the heel and whether you happen to be doing stuff like burpees and mountain climbers.

But heck..they all suck. I’m trying the Darn Tough brand now so let’s see how they do. I’m starting to believe too that wearing no-show socks are like climbing Mount Everest - it ends in tragedy so frequently because humans aren’t made to go there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads