• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horsehide CXL sounds very interesting. Having never seen or touch it in real life myself I'm very curious how it compares to shell. Can any of you make a comparison ? I guess it's also going to be much cheaper then shell.

edit: I've just found this (old) thread if anyone else is also curious but I'm still very interested in your personal opinions ? It seems like Mr. @NHorween himself as well as @DWFII are taking part in the discussion.
I don’t have a great picture of them, but these are my Tan Horsehide Chromexcel Chukka’s I got last Christmas. They are extremely nice. The creasing is very fine lines, but just adds character.

Attachments

• FBD81A6A-844B-438D-B0DB-670E7FFF4559.jpeg
    FBD81A6A-844B-438D-B0DB-670E7FFF4559.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 100

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a great picture of them, but these are my Tan Horsehide Chromexcel Chukka’s I got last Christmas. They are extremely nice. The creasing is very fine lines, but just adds character.
The texture of the leather is really great, Oxblood or burgundy is a really great color for this leather as well.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The texture of the leather is really great, Oxblood or burgundy is a really great color for this leather as well.
The place I got them from in Mexico also has Navy Blue Horsehide Chromexcel. I'd get it, but I don't think it would get much use over brown shades for me lol

boot_owl

Reaction score
the Tan one is astonishing, we really need to do one at Archibald too

If you’re planning to get horsehide shoes made in Italy, I’d recommend looking into conceria cloe and Maryam. Cloe will even do custom colours with a 5 hide minimum, but both will sell single hides in a wide range of stock colours.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone engaged, we are just prepping a new order for our driving shoes. The first run was exclusively the one with the laces, pictured below.... They did really well on the whole, the photography didn't flatter them at all which is something we are looking to rectify but aside from that they are really beautifuly made in Montegranaro, Italy.

We want to do a simpler one without laces as well.

https://www.archibaldlondon.com/us/...classic-driving-shoes-in-calfskin?color=brown

Just wondered what the general opinion on driving shoes were?

Reactions: flx

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Anyone engaged, we are just prepping a new order for our driving shoes. The first run was exclusively the one with the laces, pictured below.... They did really well on the whole, the photography didn't flatter them at all which is something we are looking to rectify but aside from that they are really beautifuly made in Montegranaro, Italy.

https://www.archibaldlondon.com/us/...classic-driving-shoes-in-calfskin?color=brown

Great shoes for traveling (airport, plane) due to their comfort and ease to slip them on and off for airport checks. At least that's what I have always thought of driving shoes, if this is what you mean by giving an opinion on them and not on Archibald's in particular, I personally don't care for them for actually driving ?‍♂️ I currently don't own any pair though, since I am not such a big fan of them all in all.

Staxxx1

Reaction score

Not a fan personally. I find them too flat and difficult to walk a while in. Also they rarely fit me well.

flx

Reaction score

I'd love proper pair of driving shoes. I wanted to buy a pair for a few weeks now anyway but haven't gotten to it yet. If you'll release one I'll definitely wait.

I actually want them especially for driving since I thought about how comfortable it must be on my last (long) road trip.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind the look of them, but personally they don't seem that viable to me. It doesn't look like there is much cushion and can't be resoled. I'd much rather get a pair of suede penny loafers with rubber sole to use for airport trips or driving as they can easily slip on and off, but can also be re soled.

ptfly

Reaction score
I see black kangaroo on gum soles as an option now. Looking forward to seeing more colors.
Deadline for order says August 23rd for shipping on November 15.
Is August 23rd the last day to use our coupon?

ptfly

Reaction score

I have always thought this type of sole wears out too quickly. I tend to wear loafers for a long drive and slip off while driving.

ThePetros

Reaction score
I don't mind the look of them, but personally they don't seem that viable to me. It doesn't look like there is much cushion and can't be resoled. I'd much rather get a pair of suede penny loafers with rubber sole to use for airport trips or driving as they can easily slip on and off, but can also be re soled.
Driving shoes are the male equivalent of a ladies stiletto. It is of absolutely zero use, functionality and is almost entirely style. Yes, they are comfy for driving - but most or not designed for anything more than a short walk from your car to the restaurant or house. They are built like tissue paper and wear out in a matter of minutes. Styling them is even more difficult depending on the leather type. I just picked up a pair of Tods that are fairly neutral and can be dressed up or down. But few others are like this.

All these flaws aside... they look gorgeous. I suppose this is how my wife feels about her Louboutin’s ?

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

I historically have never got much use out of driving shoes aside from using them whilst on holiday. They look nice, but I wouldn’t personally invest in a new pair.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving shoes are the male equivalent of a ladies stiletto. It is of absolutely zero use, functionality and is almost entirely style. Yes, they are comfy for driving - but most or not designed for anything more than a short walk from your car to the restaurant or house. They are built like tissue paper and wear out in a matter of minutes. Styling them is even more difficult depending on the leather type. I just picked up a pair of Tods that are fairly neutral and can be dressed up or down. But few others are like this.

All these flaws aside... they look gorgeous. I suppose this is how my wife feels about her Louboutin’s ?
why Tod's and not Archibald :)

• Haha
Reactions: flx

NonChalant321

Reaction score

I like the look of driving shoes - but feel like the soles are suitable mainly for just driving. I don't know about others, but I don't put on driving shoes to drive. That said, I think I would like something designed like driving shoes but with more functionally versatile soles but I guess they would no longer be driving shoes at that point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads