• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

Staxxx1

Reaction score

GAKBO

Reaction score
Size help...

With apologies for the feet pics, these are mine after an hour of wearing my sneakers, mainly sat at a desk, in thin no show socks. It is a relief to take the trainers off.

Does that suggest these are too small? Or would this be normal and will stretch out with a few wears? 74E9706E-E772-4AC3-B1D1-93BB2F211305.jpeg 68992304-DE0A-47A1-90C9-25E8251AC31D.jpeg AB3F6BED-8BC1-48A4-86AE-CD0C53C91FCB.jpeg B6F07A0B-CAE5-4C1A-839C-54B3E7B8D830.jpeg

ThePetros

Reaction score
Size help...

With apologies for the feet pics, these are mine after an hour of wearing my sneakers, mainly sat at a desk, in thin no show socks. It is a relief to take the trainers off.

Does that suggest these are too small? Or would this be normal and will stretch out with a few wears? View attachment 1424354 View attachment 1424355 View attachment 1424356 View attachment 1424357
Oof - looks painful. The marks you have looks from having a high arch and need either a wider shoe or higher vamp. Leather sneakers do break in, though the leather in this is very soft as it is, they should be pretty close to how they will be once they've stretched from use.

From not knowing anything, I'd wager you need a wider shoe or keep the laces much more loose.

Probably good to ask a few follow up questions to this as well.

A - what size do you typically wear in sneakers?

B - what size did you order?
C - did you undo the laces enough?

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Size help...

Does that suggest these are too small? Or would this be normal and will stretch out with a few wears? View attachment 1424354 View attachment 1424355 View attachment 1424356 View attachment 1424357
it will wear in, we have seen this with our Ghirlandina which use the same leather. But do keep me updated in PM if it hurt too much and we'll think of a solution

cavdb

Reaction score
Size help...

Does that suggest these are too small? Or would this be normal and will stretch out with a few wears?

I've successfully used a Ball and socket shoe stretcher to stretch out vamps/tongues of loafers and shoes for people with high arches back in the day I used to sell English made shoes. Im sure most cobblers will have something familiar.
Helps the leather stretch a tiny bit more in a very specific place.
101-051-00_footfitter-ball-ring-iron-bunion-stretcher-detail_2.jpg

GAKBO

Reaction score
@ThePetros thanks for the response. That explanation would make sense as I always need a bigger size than would be indicated based on foot length alone.

A. I’ve got trainers in 11, 11.5 and 12 UK. 12 used to be fine in everything but I’ve lost weight over the last couple of years, including on my feet apparently as I would go for 11 now. I don’t have any other premium sneakers though.

B. I got a 43. On the sizing tool I was between 42 and 43, and not indicated as wide. Again, the high arch theory might explain this.

C. Laces as below, effectively as they were out of the box, but not done up or tightened at all.

0D7EF90A-629A-449F-98A6-723726DDD98C.jpeg

@OrlandoMo okay, good to know, thanks. I was on the verge of asking to exchange but I’ll loosen the laces and give another few goes

@cavdb thanks, good to know there is another option if needs be

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated

cavdb

Reaction score
@ThePetros thanks for the response. That explanation would make sense as I always need a bigger size than would be indicated based on foot length alone.

A. I’ve got trainers in 11, 11.5 and 12 UK. 12 used to be fine in everything but I’ve lost weight over the last couple of years, including on my feet apparently as I would go for 11 now. I don’t have any other premium sneakers though.

B. I got a 43. On the sizing tool I was between 42 and 43, and not indicated as wide. Again, the high arch theory might explain this.

C. Laces as below, effectively as they were out of the box, but not done up or tightened at all.

View attachment 1424399

@OrlandoMo okay, good to know, thanks. I was on the verge of asking to exchange but I’ll loosen the laces and give another few goes

I found one cheap on Ebay after I discovered it's use.
My right foot is slightly wider and my right pinky knuckle always suffers.
The ball and socket allows me to stretch just that area.
If your arches pose this problem often, it might be worth it getting one yourself.

ThePetros

Reaction score

View attachment 1424399

You definitely sized wrong. I usually wear 11 UK on sneakers and 10.5 UK on dress shoes. I got the 44 and they were dead right.

I'm not sure stretching is going to help you here.

CWV

Reaction score
I found one cheap on Ebay after I discovered it's use.
My right foot is slightly wider and my right pinky knuckle always suffers.
The ball and socket allows me to stretch just that area.
If your arches pose this problem often, it might be worth it getting one yourself.
I have the exact same problem. Can you pm me how you found it? Please

GAKBO

Reaction score
You definitely sized wrong. I usually wear 11 UK on sneakers and 10.5 UK on dress shoes. I got the 44 and they were dead right.

I'm not sure stretching is going to help you here.
Oh. I think that decides it for me. I wear 10.5UK in dress shoes as well so sounds like I have the wrong size. I saw the 43 being recommended above to a guy who wears in 9.5 dress shoes. I think I’ll ask about an exchange.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your trainers are at least a size too small. Why does this have to be difficult. If your sneakers are not comfortable out of the box, you have sized incorrectly or the last is not right for you. Don’t go through the brain damage of stretching them or trying to break them in. Complete waste of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads