• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

Staxxx1

Reaction score

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree it’s very important to keep your expectations in line with price. That said, Archibald has stated that they would rather be judged purely on quality, and they don’t want to be known just as ‘good for the price’
Yes, purely on quality.

With regards to the situation on leathers, most people out there use a chrome tanned leather or semi-chrome tanned leather. We went with a fully vegetable tanned calfskin that is quite similar to what is used on our hand-welted line.

So this leather behaves quite interestingly and was chosen for specifc purpose. Firstly, it is extremely durable, I have tested intensely on the Ghirlandina and its going to last a very, very long time. The leather is also ridiculously soft and supple which means it does show creases out of the box at times and the part with the heel support when unboxing is a negative, however having said that here is the upside... It is a type generally reserved for custom grade or bespoke footwear as it often requires a lot more explanation and understanding and therefore for rtw brands avoid using it.

Once it goes on it moulds so well to the feet that the creases arent visible and as the foot applies pressure on the sides and the heel support is loosened that disappears as well. This shoe was designed to be worn and therefore should offer a better (the best) quality and comfort experience and of course more longevity. When you take them off after wearing even a little they will look creased etc but once the foot goes back in they pop back to life as the leather acclimates quickly which also lends to the superior comfort you should experience.

Slipping them on, are you experiencing the difference from the hand-cut upper? Does the leather feel substantially better

Now from the production I am spotting various improvements we can make to it (obviously some of this in normal cirucmstances would be handled as its happening but we lost that opportunity thanks to Corona). We can wait for more people to recieve theirs and engage a big improvement phase.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
I believe mine is beige with the gum sole...
1594712632096.png

andrel42

Reaction score
@ArchibaldRoh Looking at the stunning pictures in this thread I am now very anxious to receive my SF-01's in white with white soles (located in Switzerland).

Reading some of the comments I am hopeful the sizing will fit as I did take the chart recommendations and ordered a 42, as I wear a 9.5UK in most dress shoes. Can't wait !

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ArchibaldRoh Looking at the stunning pictures in this thread I am now very anxious to receive my SF-01's in white with white soles (located in Switzerland).

Reading some of the comments I am hopeful the sizing will fit as I did take the chart recommendations and ordered a 42, as I wear a 9.5UK in most dress shoes. Can't wait !
:)

we have stocked back on the white/white so you are best placed if an exchange is needed. However, can I do a size consult with you? When you say most dress shoes, what brands do you mean for example as that threw me off a little bit.

andrel42

Reaction score
:)

we have stocked back on the white/white so you are best placed if an exchange is needed. However, can I do a size consult with you? When you say most dress shoes, what brands do you mean for example as that threw me off a little bit.

Thank you @ArchibaldRoh

Here are some of my typical sizes:

9.5 E UK Norman Vilalta
9.5 UK Hiro Yanagimachi
9.5 UK Carmina
10.0 E UK Gaziano & Girling
44.0 EU Vass U & K lasts
9.5 UK Crockett & Jones
9.5 UK A. Mecarriello
43.0 EU Magnani
43.0 EU Mario Bemer
9.5 UK Saint Crispins
10.5 US Nike sneakers

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @ArchibaldRoh

Here are some of my typical sizes:

9.5 E UK Norman Vilalta
9.5 UK Hiro Yanagimachi
9.5 UK Carmina
10.0 E UK Gaziano & Girling
44.0 EU Vass U & K lasts
9.5 UK Crockett & Jones
9.5 UK A. Mecarriello
43.0 EU Magnani
43.0 EU Mario Bemer
9.5 UK Saint Crispins
10.5 US Nike sneakers
ok that isn't right... can I have you switched to a 43 please?
If possible, you can shoot customer service a message and they should be able to accommodate.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to change my high praise as it simply wasn't effusive enough. I tried these on sans socks and the fit was snug. That's fine as sockless is how I wear sneaks. Took my man for his morning walk and figured I'd take these for a spin with ankle socks, which are probably medium thickness/weight. Once I got them on they instantly molded to my feet and cradled them perfectly. After a 30 minute walk they still feel like I'm walking on pillows. The construction on these appears to be top-shelf. Very nicely done guys. Here's a couple on-feet shots.......

20200714_060327.jpg
20200714_060317.jpg
20200714_060708.jpg

boot_owl

Reaction score
Slipping them on, are you experiencing the difference from the hand-cut upper? Does the leather feel substantially better

I see no reason why a hand clicked upper would feel any better than machine clicked or laser cut (because there is no difference if applied with the same stringency).

This is a bit concerning to me though from a design and water perspective.

1594724146908.png

1594724179779.png

As in, potentially return-worth concerning. The tongue pattern has not been designed with enough overlap with the facings, or needs to be stitched to the facings higher up.

Last edited:

ThePetros

Reaction score
I see no reason why a hand clicked upper would feel any better than machine clicked or laser cut (because there is no difference if applied with the same stringency).

This is a bit concerning to me though from a design and water perspective.

View attachment 1423795
View attachment 1423796

As in, potentially return-worth concerning. The tongue has not beed designed with enough overlap with the facings, or needs to be stitched to the facings higher up.
Interesting to see it on the calfskin as well. My roos were like this out of box - just a few mins walking around the house (though it was happening on the outsides rather than inside).

I asked my local shoe repair guy and said exactly what you said. It may not be the cut (though more leather would have definitely been better for coverage and structure) but rather with such soft leather, it needs another longer stitch that would secure the upper to the tongue to create more structure.

This definitely needs a rethink for future iterations. Aside from a serious stress point that will no doubt be exacerbated with wearing in - it ruins the look of the shoe.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see it on the calfskin as well. My roos were like this out of box - just a few mins walking around the house (though it was happening on the outsides rather than inside).

I asked my local shoe repair guy and said exactly what you said. It may not be the cut (though more leather would have definitely been better for coverage and structure) but rather with such soft leather, it needs another longer stitch that would secure the upper to the tongue to create more structure.

This definitely needs a rethink for future iterations. Aside from a serious stress point that will no doubt be exacerbated with wearing in - it ruins the look of the shoe.
Maybe something like this may be necessary, @ArchibaldRoh

Attachments

• 519785E2-9E97-41AB-8155-A8FF8C7CC472.jpeg
    519785E2-9E97-41AB-8155-A8FF8C7CC472.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Sad
Reactions: flx

bsarosi

Reaction score
I'm in the US...should I have received tracking by now?

Yes, but from what I understand there was an issue with some of the boxes so several US orders have not gone out (myself included). You may be in that group awaiting fresh boxes before your order is dispatched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics