• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Excited this is finally happening... These shoes are going to be something else we just got feedback from our testers, one of whom has really tried to beat them up pretty badly.
After 5 months wear + many badminton games

SF-01 test.jpeg

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those still look pretty good ?

What would be the best way to keep them in a good condition long term?
Should we (for example) apply leather conditioner regularly?

Sure, our craftsman suggest to put on a good leather conditioner with a plain neutral cotton cloth. Then, after 15 minutes, wipe the cotton cloth again on the shoes.

He suggested to do this at least once every 2 months in order to avoid the leather getting to dry.

As per the brand used, he suggested Saphir Medaille D'Or conditioners. I had a long chat with them and I really appreciate their products too. We were thinking about making a collab and re-sell their products basically at cost... wouldn't be a bad idea.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Sure, our craftsman suggest to put on a good leather conditioner with a plain neutral cotton cloth. Then, after 15 minutes, wipe the cotton cloth again on the shoes.

He suggested to do this at least once every 2 months in order to avoid the leather getting to dry.

As per the brand used, he suggested Saphir Medaille D'Or conditioners. I had a long chat with them and I really appreciate their products too. We were thinking about making a collab and re-sell their products basically at cost... wouldn't be a bad idea.
That would be great. Finding a Saphir reseller, depending on the country, can be a true pain in the posterior. Plus, when you finally find one, you realise they are selling the products super expensive, while others are cheaper but the shipping is more expensive. Ah, this life :p

I have to order them from the Netherlands because I have not been able to find a decent reseller either in Germany or, to order at the origin, directly from France :/

Cheers

flx

Reaction score
That would be great. Finding a Saphir reseller, depending on the country, can be a true pain in the posterior. Plus, when you finally find one, you realise they are selling the products super expensive, while others are cheaper but the shipping is more expensive. Ah, this life :p

I have to order them from the Netherlands because I have not been able to find a decent reseller either in Germany or, to order at the origin, directly from France :/

Cheers
Langer & Messmer is carrying a lot of Saphir products in Germany (also Wiener Schuhmanufaktur (AT), Care of Carl (SE with free shipping to DE), Quality Shop and even Amazon).

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Lange & Messmer is carrying a lot of Saphir products in Germany (and also Wiener Schuhmanufaktur, Care of Carl, Quality Shop and even Amazon).
Hey mate, thanks for the information. I have ordered from Lange & Messmer before but not Saphir, I don't remember what the problem was. I think they lacked Rénovateur or some products I needed and were relatively expensive? Can't tell you anymore.

However, I am positive that Amazon carried only some products and that they were coming from abroad through the marketplace, with insane prices and shipping costs. I remember looking at Wiener Schuhmanufaktur and discarding them as well, I don't remember why though. I didn't know Care of Carl and the other one.

I haven't bought Saphir for some years. I made a rather large order to shoecareshop.eu, which had a wonderful selection for a more than fair price, and never looked again, so maybe things have changed.

Thanks and cheers

flx

Reaction score
Hey mate, thanks for the information. I have ordered from Lange & Messmer before but not Saphir, I don't remember what the problem was. I think they lacked Rénovateur or some products I needed and were relatively expensive? Can't tell you anymore.

However, I am positive that Amazon carried only some products and that they were coming from abroad through the marketplace, with insane prices and shipping costs. I remember looking at Wiener Schuhmanufaktur and discarding them as well, I don't remember why though. I didn't know Care of Carl and the other one.

I haven't bought Saphir for some years. I made a rather large order to shoecareshop.eu, which had a wonderful selection for a more than fair price, and never looked again, so maybe things have changed.

Thanks and cheers
You should take a look at Lange & Messmer right now and in the next days (they're always restocking). At the moment they have a pretty good sale with the cheapest price for Saphir products I've ever seen in Europe. Unfortunately this leads to them being sold out often (as for example Rénovateur is right now).

You're right about Amazon, also they're quite expensive.

Quality Shop seems like a good alternative, although I haven't tried it out myself yet (I think shipping is also free after ~40€).

I've also seen shoecareshop.eu which looked quite good but haven't tried them yet.

Last edited:

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
You should take a look at Lange & Messmer right now and in the next days (they're always restocking). At the moment now they have a pretty good sale with the cheapest price for Saphir products I've ever seen in Europe. Unfortunately this leads to them being sold out often (as for example Rénovateur is right now).

You're right about Amazon, also they're quite expensive.

Quality Shop seems like a good alternative, although I haven't tried it out myself yet (I think shipping is also free after ~40€).

I've also seen shoecareshop.eu which looked quite good but haven't tried them yet.
Well I could need (yet another) can of rénovateur, you never know when you may run out of it :) thanks, will have a look at them. Some years ago I bought some brushes, shoetrees and even some non-saphir cream from them. They were alright and a pleasure to deal with. I think they have a store in... Heidelberg? Always thought I should pay them a visit when I am there, but it didn't happen for the last years.

takashi78

Reaction score

I would not mind adding a can of Saphir conditioner to my order.
I think its a good idea to give this option to us. Saves alot on shipping as well.

How about the kangaroo leather? Using the same conditioner as well?

Reactions: flx

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

I think you might find quite a varied opinion on SF pertaining to the propriety of the Mink oil based Saphir Renovateur in particular. In my experience, it makes the shoe look worse over the long term, and should only be used in extreme circumstances. You won’t hear that opinion from many of the SF affiliates and online sellers, as it is one of Saphir’s biggest sellers, and somewhat of a cash cow for those businesses. In fact, I have heard one affiliate call Renovateur ‘liquid gold’, which is convenient as it is a big seller for him, but not necessarily the truth. I do regularly use their cream polish and find those do a good job though.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think its a good idea to give this option to us. Saves alot on shipping as well.

They have different products according to the different leather you need them used on... I'll keep you updated in case we can pull it off with Saphir!

Reactions: flx

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd avoid using mink based oil on kangaroo. I found this to be the best on that particular leather:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads