• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

flx

Reaction score
^ so why did you even bother to reply? I thought the video was informative. I can't say the same of your comments.
I'm sorry if I was bothering you, I didn't mean to come off as rude. I was just wondering since this has been mentioned so often. I should've probably kept this to myself.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the video was very relevant to this thread. Archibald has staked it’s reputation here on producing a shoe as good as or much better than the top of the line competition and now we get to see what that competition looks like.

will be interesting to hear Archibald comment on it.

Rewiag

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I was bothering you, I didn't mean to come off as rude. I was just wondering since this has been mentioned so often. I should've probably kept this to myself.

I think it provided new and relevant information, i havent seen any top-line sneaker torn apart and examined this carefully, and probably i was not alone with that.

Reactions: flx

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where we disagree. Best to let it speak for itself.

I don’t mean they should trash the competition. They’ve written a lot on details like the veg tanned leather they are using, the German insoles, etc. Really fine grained stuff in here. I think it is interesting to watch the video in light of those nitty-gritty details that they have already let us in on and imagine they could have more to say re construction techniques, etc. They geek out over this stuff so it could be educational.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The obvious reason why CP is more expensive is because you also pay for their marketing.
I'm sure it'll be a great quality shoe, regardless if it's better or just similar to CP (which in terms of quality is already quite good itself).

Here's one of the reports I was referring to: Here's What Happened When a Menswear Forum Designed a Sneaker

So it is funny, that article I had an up and down argument with the writer after its release... a lot of what was said wasn't exactly what was communicated... especially the Brunello Cucinelli part... there is a Reddit thread of people ripping us to shreds through the article, but I thought I would wait till these are delivered before engaging.

Last edited:

flx

Reaction score
So it is funny, that article I had an up and down with the writer... a lot of what was said wasn't exactly what was communicated... especially the Brunello Cucinelli part... there is a Reddit thread of people ripping us to shreds, but I thought I would wait till these are delivered before engaging.
I'm sorry for you. I guess that's why some people require a final copy of the interview article before they'll allow publication. At least it's mostly positive but I hope nobody will ever quote you from the article on stuff that the editor made / changed up.

Last edited:

Rewiag

Reaction score
there is a Reddit thread of people ripping us to shreds, but I thought I would wait till these are delivered before engaging.

i dont get why people are so focused on the similartiy to CP in terms of design. It is true that the SF-01 is very similar to the CP, but that is not the end of the story. The reason why we ended up with a very similar design is because the design of the CP is just good as it is. Were we supposed to end up with something groundbreaking or out of the ordinary? I dont think so.

I wonder if the very same people are also arguing that most suits do have a "very similar design", no matter who makes them and how much they cost. Probably a $100 H&M suit is the same as a $5000 Huntsman in their eyes just because the "design" is similar...

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it is funny, that article I had an up and down with the writer... a lot of what was said wasn't exactly what was communicated... especially the Brunello Cucinelli part... there is a Reddit thread of people ripping us to shreds, but I thought I would wait till these are delivered before engaging.

I saw that reddit thread and thought it was pretty absurd. That subreddit is at least 50% people asking for or recommending CP alternatives and then they get up in arms about a company making... a CP alternative? And being transparent about how they’re making it?

flx

Reaction score
i dont get why people are so focused on the similartiy to CP in terms of design. It is true that the SF-01 is very similar to the CP, but that is not the end of the story. The reason why we ended up with a very similar design is because the design of the CP is just good as it is. Were we supposed to end up with something groundbreaking or out of the ordinary? I dont think so.

I wonder if the very same people are also arguing that most suits do have a "very similar design", no matter who makes them and how much they cost. Probably a $100 H&M suit is the same as a $5000 Huntsman in their eyes just because the "design" is similar...
Yeah, it's like saying that all horsebit loafers are a copy of the Gucci ones (which I guess those people would also think). It's not like people are trying to copy the exact design of CP to pass it off as an CP shoe, people just want a sleek and clean sneaker.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that reddit thread and thought it was pretty absurd. That subreddit is at least 50% people asking for or recommending CP alternatives and then they get up in arms about a company making... a CP alternative? And being transparent about how they’re making it?

To add to this, it was especially rich coming from a subreddit full of ******* idiots paying $200+ for resale Nike Killshots on EBay. I hate r/MFA.

Reactions: flx

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's like saying that all horsebit loafers are a copy of the Gucci ones (which I guess those people would also think). It's not like people are trying to copy the exact design of CP to pass it off as an CP shoe, people just want a sleek and clean sneaker.

You know I have to say it was more the way it was written it was asking for a backlash like that to come our way. We spoke about it internally and it also failed to communicate what the spirit of the entire collaboration was based on... I think (or hope) it was much more than a simple project to do sneakers... And the worst part is many of the things we executed differently can only be felt and experienced through testing over time, the sample he received was 4 sizes bigger so a lot of what was communicated couldn't be confirmed or whatnot. I don't know I try not to think about it very much, it was a big opportunity for someone in an outlet like GQ to expose a story about what we are up to because we do think we are very different and the only brand in the world really playing this game and value proposition... but again, perhaps it is just a case of my sipping the kool-aid as they say.

Anyway best to let the finished article to the talking I think...we decided that post-delivery we would request anyone who wanted to put a wrong, right to let their thoughts be known there.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best to keep our energy on making some really great stuff with all of you...
The team is having a lot of fun with the SF x Archibald collection, so thank you for all for the engagement, support and giving us and our partner craftsmen the opportunity.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From my own purely personal view, after chasing a certain CP design for ages with no success, the opportunity to commission a very similar shoe at half the price of CPs here was the big attraction. I wasn't seeking out-there, hipster design, but solid conservative long-lasting shoes. I was able to buy two pairs for what I would pay for a single pair of CPs here, if I could find them, so I did.

Rewiag

Reaction score
From my own purely personal view, after chasing a certain CP design for ages with no success, the opportunity to commission a very similar shoe at half the price of CPs here was the big attraction. I wasn't seeking out-there, hipster design, but solid conservative long-lasting shoes. I was able to buy two pairs for what I would pay for a single pair of CPs here, if I could find them, so I did.

and probably you will end up with a better quality shoe too! (check the video on page 61 if you havent yet)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads