• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

docc

Reaction score
Are these unisex? My wife would possibly like a pair as well. I've tried on Crockett and Jones etc. and would be a UK dress shoe size 7.5 E width. I'm wearing a Nike Free Run size US9/UK8. Also, I just went to try CP Achilles Low today and the size 41 I could feel the foot slightly moving inside but doable. Size 40 felt snug, but not tight, and salesperson said size 40 was right since the leather will stretch quite a bit. Using the sizing tool, the big toe of the largest foot just touches the size 40 line. Would size 40 be right or 41? Keeping in mind it's winter still and wondering about summertime when foot would swell more...Thanks.

Last edited:

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these unisex? My wife would possibly like a pair as well. I've tried on Crockett and Jones etc. and would be a UK dress shoe size 7.5 E width. I'm wearing a Nike Free Run size US9/UK8. Also, I just went to try CP Achilles Low today and the size 41 I could feel the foot slightly moving inside but doable. Size 40 felt snug, but not tight, and salesperson said size 40 was right since the leather will stretch quite a bit. Using the sizing tool, the big toe of the largest foot just touches the size 40 line. Would size 40 be right or 41? Keeping in mind it's winter still and wondering about summertime when foot would swell more...Thanks.
Hi yes they are indeed unisex.

Size 41 for you sounds right I think. Snug fit on new sneakers worries me and I agree with @LA Guy that it is always best to go up. If you breach the 40 line then you are a 41, particularly at a UK E 7.5. Also like you said, foot can swell in summer.

Meelya

Reaction score
I am so tempted to buy but sizing is making me stop. I have a question, how are these different than koio or greats is terms of quality? What is USP of these shoes over other sub 200 sneakers? Please note that I am new to this game and trying to understand. Love your product.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so tempted to buy but sizing is making me stop. I have a question, how are these different than koio or greats is terms of quality? What is USP of these shoes over other sub 200 sneakers? Please note that I am new to this game and trying to understand. Love your product.
I guess whatever response we give at this point will be fairly biased.
The uppers to these are hand-cut and that yields a distinctive dare I say better feeling result.
The soles are more or less the same, everyone uses Margom due to the brand equity it seems to hold...
I personally find the leather a much higher grade and better feel.
I feel the data points contributed in the survey leads to a sneaker that is overall a lot more comfortable.

I personally think the Ghirlandina blows the greats royal out of the water. I think greats really suffers in the construction - one of the industrially produced La Marche sneakers. Koio I have worn them and didn't find them too bad but the internal padding chosen didn't work for me and I guess didn't do th same for many on the forum. Also again, there is an industrial feel to them... but as i said, I am literally THE WORST person to do a product comparison even though I do tend to be pretty self-critical in the name of a better product.

If you wear a pair of Brunello Cucinelli sneakers, it feels totally different to the other brands. Perhaps the designs aren't always the cleanest or the most appealing but I remember trying a pair of their older sneakers and it was quite incredible with a real handmade feel. That is the difference.

I find many of the sneakers made in the La Marche region these days to feel pretty much like the ones coming out of Portugal and they just don't feel quite right - I hear a lot are simply completed in Italy and go off to Romania but again don't quote me. Orlando would know a little more.

Also, guys, I realized the picture Orlando posted was the older in-sole which isn't as comfortable, the newer ones in the v5 and SF-01 have received a lot of praise!

Meelya

Reaction score
I guess whatever response we give at this point will be fairly biased.
The uppers to these are hand-cut and that yields a distinctive dare I say better feeling result.
The soles are more or less the same, everyone uses Margom due to the brand equity it seems to hold...
I personally find the leather a much higher grade and better feel.
I feel the data points contributed in the survey leads to a sneaker that is overall a lot more comfortable.

I personally think the Ghirlandina blows the greats royal out of the water. I think greats really suffers in the construction - one of the industrially produced La Marche sneakers. Koio I have worn them and didn't find them too bad but the internal padding chosen didn't work for me and I guess didn't do th same for many on the forum. Also again, there is an industrial feel to them... but as i said, I am literally THE WORST person to do a product comparison even though I do tend to be pretty self-critical in the name of a better product.

If you wear a pair of Brunello Cucinelli sneakers, it feels totally different to the other brands. Perhaps the designs aren't always the cleanest or the most appealing but I remember trying a pair of their older sneakers and it was quite incredible with a real handmade feel. That is the difference.

I find many of the sneakers made in the La Marche region these days to feel pretty much like the ones coming out of Portugal and they just don't feel quite right - I hear a lot are simply completed in Italy and go off to Romania but again don't quote me. Orlando would know a little more.

Also, guys, I realized the picture Orlando posted was the older in-sole which isn't as comfortable, the newer ones in the v5 and SF-01 have received a lot of praise!
Thanks so much for a detailed reply. I am so confused between white with gum or black with gum. I am going to go with your Nike sizing . I wear 10.5 D in all shoes, dress and sneakers, Allen Edmonds and on cloud/Nike. I hope they fit well. Now, black or white calf skin with gum is a custom option, so what is the return policy on those?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for a detailed reply. I am so confused between white with gum or black with gum. I am going to go with your Nike sizing . I wear 10.5 D in all shoes, dress and sneakers, Allen Edmonds and on cloud/Nike. I hope they fit well. Now, black or white calf skin with gum is a custom option, so what is the return policy on those?
Regarding size, I would use the size tool to double check. Are the sizes UK or US?
We don't offer returns on the MTO unfortunately. Again for potential exchanges we will facilitate swaps if they exist.

Meelya

Reaction score
Regarding size, I would use the size tool to double check. Are the sizes UK or US?
We don't offer returns on the MTO unfortunately. Again for potential exchanges we will facilitate swaps if they exist.
US 10.5 D for all my shoes.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a size 43 in this case, but I'd double check using a carefully assembled and checked size guide.

doofalb

Reaction score
I helped someone on the forum out where one of the comparable are buttero but at this stage for the life of me can't think who. I've never unfortunately seen Butteros in real life but will ask around for you.
That was me ( I think)! We kinda settle on a size smaller than I am on Butteros. But that was before the printable size guide. Considering the width of my feet (about half a mile) I went with the size I use in Butteros. Having said that, i could probably go down half a size in Butteros. Confused?? Archibald = Buttero (+/- 0.5)

striker

Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't think my. Buttero make a good sizing reference is that they are unlined with no padding which makes them feel larger than they really are. Their USP is the thick veg tan leather that they personally source or are involved in the tanning process.

I am taking the SF-01 in my Pantofola Doro sizing, at least the made in Italy Pdos, the Portugal ones feel a size smaller.

I agree with the assessment that made in Italy does not guarantee quality. Golden goose shoes didn't last me more than a year.

ShadyDorathy

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a pair of white-white, but just noticed the price gap, 148 in USD and 139 GBP? i would assume something like 119 GBP maybe? For the record, I'm in China

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads