• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

MattJB

Reaction score
1. Yes we cannot cover the duties on the shipment to non-localized countries.
2. Sent you a DM to work this out.
3. Each country localized is calculated with final prices for what it would cost to finally arrive at the end destination. So yes, eg US customers don't get charged a VAT but there is a higher shipping cost of product.
Question about Canada - should I be expecting duties or would it have been covered in the price of the shoe?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about Canada - should I be expecting duties or would it have been covered in the price of the shoe?
Covered for this one. I might have the team double check the calculation but everything ordered thus far will be honored.

applegreen

Reaction score
In for the black on black. From the measurements, seems like the sizing is slightly larger than the derby. I ordered a 40.5 in the derby but by measurements looks like I'm a 40 in these. And in happy news, the aforementioned derbys are reportedly shipping next week! It's been so long since I ordered them that it feels like receiving a free pair of shoes in the mail.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In for the black on black. From the measurements, seems like the sizing is slightly larger than the derby. I ordered a 40.5 in the derby but by measurements looks like I'm a 40 in these. And in happy news, the aforementioned derbys are reportedly shipping next week! It's been so long since I ordered them that it feels like receiving a free pair of shoes in the mail.
Exciting! Perhaps wait for their arrival before engaging with these? At least from a sizing point of view? Though you can always ammend the order... Could I ask for the measurement? And done standing up I assume?

Apologies for the tardiness with yours I did hear a few pairs suffered from the holidays.

Torulf

Reaction score
Two pricing question in all good faith;

What prices are you paying for the SF-01 in Calfskin if you are in a country outside of the US?
Are you still buying if you have to pay significantly more than US buyers?

Where I am I will pay 30% more than the US price of USD 139.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two pricing question in all good faith;

What prices are you paying for the SF-01 in Calfskin if you are in a country outside of the US?
Are you still buying if you have to pay significantly more than US buyers?

Where I am I will pay 30% more thakn the US price of USD 139.
@Torulf, there are different implications for orders to Sweden (the shipping alone costs us more to Sweden than to the US not to mention the other considerations).
This was explained over DM. If you would like to see the price charged to anyone else, you may simply toggle the shipping to country. Again, transparency is a fundamental component of our brand so nothing is withheld.

US orders have the advantage of not being affected by direct shipments because it is below the de-minimas value.

We have released this as an at-cost initiative for SF which means aside from the donation to SF there is no bloating. It costs what it costs.

Generally speaking American customers are forced to pay a 40% mark up for European brands over the European price which I think is absurd. Brands do this when often times they don't need to because of the import duties levied to items... It is how it is and in our case it seems the American customer wins out. If we werent being transparent they would not and we would do what everyone else does and pocket a margin from our biggest market. However that is not how we are approaching it.

Besides that, not sure what to say. The sneakers are pretty incredible and the community, @OrlandoMo and the craftsmen have done a wonderful job. Beyond the pre-order then they will be available at full price moving forward and will not be offered at pricing again. I think at full price they sit about half the price of a CP, and there is no comparison between the two. But that is my bias opinion :)

Last edited:

Torulf

Reaction score
It may be a bargain from one perspective, but is certainly is a rip-off from another. My question was which perspective other non-US persons looked at it. But I´ll call it quits, this is for another thread or whatever.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be a bargain from one perspective, but is certainly is a rip-off from another. My question was which perspective other non-US persons looked at it. But I´ll call it quits, this is for another thread or whatever.
Rip off because Sweden charges additional taxes over the US equating to most of the difference in value?
We didn't set the rules and certainly do not have a say in the matter. These are paid on every purchase in the country on anything purchased there so I am struggling to see the gripe.

If anything, by not engaging in industry practices of inflating US prices we are proving our commitment to not ripping people off.

Last edited:

MattJB

Reaction score
Do you know anyone that lives anywhere else? Get them delivered there, and then personal package shipped to you. Or if you're close to a boarder, cross it and pick them up wherever they were delivered.

In Canada, there are services that operate as delivery addresses just across the boarder in the US so we can get a package delivered to them, then drive across and pick it up. Worth thinking about, if you know anyone that could help you pull off this kind of sneaky maneuver.

ixk

Reaction score

I'm not sure why you're using the term "rip-off" regarding taxation/duties/customs.

Torulf

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're using the term "rip-off" regarding taxation/duties/customs.
My comment was not good and accurate, I meant to say that it may be a rip-off depending on how sales prices are handled for other countries, and with that I primarily meant other countries within EU. I do a fair amount of online shopping and I know about import duties and taxes, I expect and deal with them in relation to the value offered. I certainly know that they are zero within EU and very similar when buying from outside of EU. Here is a UK company, producing in Italy, all in the EU, explaining that the difference in list price is due to duties and taxes. Hence my original question.

I intend to make this my last statement in this thread. I do not want to cause a disruption to, what I assume, the process to sell a good product to those customers this company want to make a priority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads