• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

CWV

Reaction score
I am intrigued by the coconut insole. I know it might affect the sizing, but it sounds so good I might just go for it and take the risk. As you noted, it probably depends on the thickness of your socks. I would usually wear dress socks unless I am wearing boots, so it might be ok.
My fit with the regular insole is too lose. These insoles sound just like what I’d need.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
My fit with the regular insole is too lose. These insoles sound just like what I’d need.
Mine are slightly loose as well, nothing major, but I put that down to the lacing which I haven't changed. So a thicker insole could be the answer. I wonder if they will be available on the pre-ordered v2's that should hopefully be with us in late Nov?

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I can see not wearing OTC dress socks with sneakers, but if they're the fun pattern dress socks I don't see why not?
I suppose the term 'dress sock' represents somewhat of a spectrum. I wouldn't wear paper thin, over the calf, silk dress socks with sneakers. But I would wear 'normal' thin socks with them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am intrigued by the coconut insole. I know it might affect the sizing, but it sounds so good I might just go for it and take the risk. As you noted, it probably depends on the thickness of your socks. I would usually wear dress socks unless I am wearing boots, so it might be ok.
Yeah, the coconut insole is very comfortable in these unlined sneakers, in thinner dress socks they were perfect. I know dress socks in sneakers breaks rules for a certain type, but I’ve never been one to follow rules.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance on hidden eyelets on these to make them last forever? And yes, long time lurker checking in here. Love my sienna sf-01 first batch.
ah that would be a nice touch @OrlandoMo

Also, we will release both a mid-top and low-top.

I think we should be able to do the Horween shell cordovan as an MTO so the colour/sole can match but to be confirmed.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I also got a chance to test the unlined pebble grain sneakers.

Here’s the description of them from AoL:
The pebble grain are made with a chromium tanned pebbled lightweight calfskin. They are partly unlined and they come with a Strobel construction. You are basically able to twist them or fold them as much as you want. The floorboard is made with bio and recyclable materials. The glue used is water based.
View attachment 1479141 View attachment 1479142 View attachment 1479143 View attachment 1479145 View attachment 1479146

- First off let me say bravo to AoL for incorporation of sustainable materials in the construction of the shoes. It’s great when companies chose to take a vested interest in our planet, by incorporating this concept.
- the fit for me was perfect in my size 42 with the normal insole: context - Barrie size is 9E, EB 74945 UK8.5G/ 363Mod UK8.5, AE 1757 9E.
- the slightly thicker coconut insole that I mentioned in my review of the hi-tops made the comfort of them off the charts comfortable for me. However, only with thin dress socks.
- They quite literally feel as though I’m wearing slippers. I want to re-iterate they feel like slippers on my feet. I wore them around the house for 7 hours as I went about the day, with the coconut insole. They are remarkably comfortable.
- again the issue with the coconut insole is they alter the size of the shoe. For me, thin dress socks resolve the issue, but thicker socks are not an option with the thick coconut insole. AoL needs to consider offering the coconut insoles as an add on option, as they significantly change the fitting.
- the pebble grain leather is buttery soft. I can only imagine how gorgeous they will be in other colors.
- the fact that they are unlined obviously is what makes these special, and I predict a future big hit in the AoL stable.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, it seems to me the hits just keep coming from these guys. I honestly couldn’t find anything I didn’t like about them, (other than they are all white :p)
So, my overall verdict obviously is, these are outstanding. A few pairs are destined for my shoe room.
the final version will be Deer Skin, these will be the SF-01 UltraLights and therefore exhibit a different construction (strobel), sole (it isn't Margom but of equivalent quality and ultralight) and some bio, more sustainable and environmentally friendly materials... and we are looking into a version these in vegan leather as well (and keep the classic SF-01s as they are)

So then we have:

SF-01 (v2)
- Full Veg Tan Calfskin, Horween CXL, Suede, Kanga
- Leather floorboard.
- No Tongue Gate, No Tongue Bridge
- Same Foam In-soles as v1
- Low top and Mid Top variants

SF-01 Horween Shell Cordovan SE
- Special, Limited Edition
- Goodyear construction on sneakers
- In-soles (still deciding)
- Low top and Mid top variants
- Extra soles inserted into each batch.
- Hidden Eyelets
- MIGHT be limited ONLY to people who already own a SF-01

SF-01 UltraLight
- Flexible, strobel construction.
- UltraLight, Italian made Rubber outsoles
- Deer Skin Upper (Vegan Leather upper maybe), UNLINED
- Coconut Floorboard
- Natural in-sole.
- Low Top Only

Last edited:

CWV

Reaction score
the final version will be Deer Skin, these will be the SF-01 UltraLights and therefore exhibit a different construction (strobel), sole (it isn't Margom but of equivalent quality and ultralight) and some bio, more sustainable and environmentally friendly materials... and we are looking into a version these in vegan leather as well (and keep the classic SF-01s as they are)

So then we have:

SF-01 (v2)
- Full Veg Tan Calfskin, Horween CXL, Suede
- Leather floorboard.

SF-01 UltraLight
- Coconut Floorboard
- Natural in-sole.
- Low Top Only
And hidden eyelets? Someone a long time ago mentioned Kevlar reibfirced eyelets. That sound slim. Idk what would work better, but I think some reinforcement is a good idea. Someone posted some roos that already had stretched eyelets.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And hidden eyelets? Someone a long time ago mentioned Kevlar reibfirced eyelets. That sound slim. Idk what would work better, but I think some reinforcement is a good idea. Someone posted some roos that already had stretched eyelets.
edited :)

Also can we just mention @LA Guy and Arianna (don't know the handle) who have been so kind and supportive to let us do all this. I feel like we don't make that explicit enough at times.

CWV

Reaction score
edited :)

Also can we just mention @LA Guy and Arianna (don't know the handle) who have been so kind and supportive to let us do all this. I feel like we don't make that explicit enough at times.
Could not that be extended to the entire lineup? Idk how would that affect the price, but it would prolong the life of the uppers ?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could not that be extended to the entire lineup? Idk how would that affect the price, but it would prolong the life of the uppers ?
not for the upcoming v2s as this is something we want to get right with materials.

not on the ultralights either.

it really isn't about cost as eyelets arent that pricey, even if one was to go with a really nice metal but we will see.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So then we have:

SF-01 (v2)
- Full Veg Tan Calfskin, Horween CXL, Suede, Kanga
- Leather floorboard.

- Hidden Eyelets

SF-01 UltraLight
- Coconut Floorboard
- Natural in-sole.
- Low Top Only
Bring it on...really looking forward to all of these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads