• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Alright, no options will be cut. Thanks for this.
I insist - I'd be happy with even more if possible. I mean it's great you can offer so many and I guess this means adding more is also plausible. One of the things I like about the project is precisely not only being able to order white sneakers but also some unique combos that, as we've been seeing in the pics over the last weeks, often turn out extremely sexy.

Cutting options is not necessary as long as the customer knows what it gets to the best extent possible, as very well pointed out. That way, if they don't like it - they need not order. It's as easy as that.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these look actually good. We are trying to find some new laces for the anticato green, unfortunately this is what we have received from our supplier in Perugia (Italy). Really good quality but not a huge variety. Should we go for militare? The one we delivered with the Anticato Green was Pino Intenso

View attachment 1431878
For me, it would be awesome to have additional color choice of laces; I would be willing to pay for additional laces with my order. That is to say, in addition to what normal laces come with my sneaker order.

ThePetros

Reaction score
For me, it would be awesome to have additional color choice of laces; I would be willing to pay for additional laces with my order. That is to say, in addition to what normal laces come with my sneaker order.
I think this is getting away from the spirit and ethos of the original project. If it goes that way, that’s fine. I think it’s up to the founders of the company to choose if they want to really go down that path.

I thought the variety of color and sole combinations was quite good in the first round. (Particularly because I am an avid fan of the very underrated gum sole). Though I do believe there should probably be emphasis on the ones that are clear winners and jettison ones that are not so good. This is simply inferring the data of this round - which was precisely the point.

That being said too much choice can be detrimental to the evolution of the product and brand. If the anticato, roo leather, laces, etc.. dont work because of this or that. That is what came out of the process. There may be some who are sore because of that, but it will ensure a hell of a lot more happy customers in the future. You can probably offer different laces, but let’s face it - we can buy those ourselves.

CWV

Reaction score
I think this is getting away from the spirit and ethos of the original project. If it goes that way, that’s fine. I think it’s up to the founders of the company to choose if they want to really go down that path.

I thought the variety of color and sole combinations was quite good in the first round. (Particularly because I am an avid fan of the very underrated gum sole). Though I do believe there should probably be emphasis on the ones that are clear winners and jettison ones that are not so good. This is simply inferring the data of this round - which was precisely the point.

That being said too much choice can be detrimental to the evolution of the product and brand. If the anticato, roo leather, laces, etc.. dont work because of this or that. That is what came out of the process. There may be some who are sore because of that, but it will ensure a hell of a lot more happy customers in the future. You can probably offer different laces, but let’s face it - we can buy those ourselves.
Yes, beware. There plenty of studies demonstrating that an over abundance of choices makes the choosing proces more difficult and can be detrimental to the company.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adding lace options as an additional item in no way goes against the spirit of the project. AoL offers many other products in addition to these sneakers, laces could just be another product they offer.

As for the kangaroo, the complaints have been rather silly. Complaining about wrinkly kangaroo leather is quite foolish. They remind me of how folks that aren’t familiar with shell, complain about things in the leather, that are the simply the characteristics of shell.
In terms of what options they want to offer, that’s clearly a business decision AoL will make. Asserting they’ve made too many options available is questionable at best.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that the issue of laces colour was also one that I brought up with my beige suede shoes too (with gum soles).
Although I don't mind the lighter colour of the laces on them at all, it would have been wonderful if the addition pair in the box was a match for the upper so that the tone of the shoe could be changed easily. White laces with beige and gum shoes made me feel like the additional pair included really was a perfunctory gesture.

ThePetros

Reaction score
Didn’t mean to be offensive on this. Just saying this, combined with earlier talk of more choices, raised a red flag for me. More choices for a notoriously picky crowd will lead to a jack of all trades shoe that is master of none.

i understand your point completely @stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn’t mean to be offensive on this. Just saying this, combined with earlier talk of more choices, raised a red flag for me. More choices for a notoriously picky crowd will lead to a jack of all trades shoe that is master of none.

i understand your point completely @stephenaf2003
I hear you on this. As for the laces it’s why I specifically mentioned, I felt it should be offered as just an additional product available for those that want extra laces. No reason for AoL pass up an opportunity to get a little more of my money, since I’ll just go somewhere else to get extra laces if they don’t offer them.

As for the sneakers and the options, I feel like we hashed all that out earlier before they went into production. It was one of the main draws for most, to this project. The lack of options offered by others in this market, led me to AoL. Now, it’s just a matter of them working out the bugs, and pumping these babies out.

Staxxx1

Reaction score
A quick question for the FMs, please. Is the Kangaroo an optic white or more of an ivory/cream? Are the calfskin sneakers whiter?
One thing I came to realise while trying on my shoes for the sizing document was how comfortable the AoL SF-01s were from the get go. Definitely my go to sneakers henceforth.

MattJB

Reaction score
Cool thanks. I have a pair coming in that color, if when you’re wearing them you get a chance to snap a pic in natural light it would be awesome to see it.
I'm sure you have yours by now, but I owe you some pics. Excuse my disheveled look, I have a busted wrist.
IMG_20200728_200247__01.jpg
IMG_20200728_200230.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have yours by now, but I owe you some pics. Excuse my disheveled look, I have a busted wrist.
View attachment 1432196 View attachment 1432198
Very nice.

Unfortunately, I wanted to wait until I was sure that the sizing was right on my first two pairs, before I got the other four that I wanted. I think the projected date for those, when I did order, was September.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so what I am getting from all of this is:
1. Fix the various issues that people feel like is a necessity for the main part (tongue gate, laces, etc.)
2. Keep everything else the same. If Common Projects can sell so many shoes with everyone saying it is amazing quality (even with chrome tanned, cardboard piece, etc.) why should we re-invent the wheel in places it isn't needed?
3. Profit
lol

cavdb

Reaction score
As for the kangaroo, the complaints have been rather silly. Complaining about wrinkly kangaroo leather is quite foolish. They remind me of how folks that aren’t familiar with shell, complain about things in the leather, that are the simply the characteristics of shell.

I completely agree. Even the Product shots of the Kangaroo Lorenzo loafer from Berluti shows creasing.
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 09.35.26.png

boot_owl

Reaction score
I completely agree. Even the Product shots of the Kangaroo Lorenzo loafer from Berluti shows creasing.
View attachment 1432348

As somebody with about 15 kangaroo hides in his living room, the idea of a perfectly smooth kangaroo leather shoe is laughable. These animals are not farmed, and live their lives in Australia’s not so gentle environment.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Okay so what I am getting from all of this is:
1. Fix the various issues that people feel like is a necessity for the main part (tongue gate, laces, etc.)
2. Keep everything else the same. If Common Projects can sell so many shoes with everyone saying it is amazing quality (even with chrome tanned, cardboard piece, etc.) why should we re-invent the wheel in places it isn't needed?
3. Profit
lol
Already working with Adriano on new samples of the SF-01 v2, they should be ready very quickly (maybe 1/2 weeks?) so that we can send over a sample to you guys to test

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads