• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so that strip is there to close the gap beneath it. I guess we could remove it but its an aesthetic choice made.

Could you show me a picture of something you consider to be closed as a genuine wholecut Chelsea? I can get it in as a customization maybe.
Yes - wholecut = 1 piece of leather for the entirety of the shoe so the strip closing the gap is exactly what makes it not a wholecut.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
so that strip is there to close the gap beneath it. I guess we could remove it but its an aesthetic choice made.

Could you show me a picture of something you consider to be closed as a genuine wholecut Chelsea? I can get it in as a customization maybe.

Aesthetically, it's probably not worth the effort to make this a "genuine wholecut" for the purists. With pants on it looks the same anyway since your Chelsea is already featureless on the front end. Wholecut vs. Not-Wholecut is a more practical argument with shoes that have laces or straps on the front as you have to sort out how to build the vamp seamlessly.

Besides, if we want to be reeeeaaaally obnoxious about it, there are true true wholecut shoes (probably not boots) that don't even have the back seam at all, just a continuous piece of leather, but obsessing over those details is the road to ruin.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha... I only meant to state my opinion. Anyway, the bigger thing that stands out to me is the toe, just too bulbous. G&G DG70 toe cap would be more up my alley.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Haha... I only meant to state my opinion. Anyway, the bigger thing that stands out to me is the toe, just too bulbous. G&G DG70 toe cap would be more up my alley.

Yah no no I get it; technically you're right. I'm just practical and would just rather have these babies in hand sooner rather than wait for them to do another cycle of revision.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Chelsea boots look nice! Personally, I feel that the toe is a bit bulbous + the heel cup is attached with a separate strip of leather and so it's not a wholecut (well from my perspective I don't see it as a wholecut) but otherwise, nice shoes!
You are referring to a seamless wholecut I suppose.

The price difference for that would be astronomical.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are referring to a seamless wholecut I suppose.

The price difference for that would be astronomical.
I don't think a seamless one would be necessary, but something like the RM Williams or even GG Burnham (single line of stitching down the heel) would aesthetically look better. I have some John Lobbs with a seamless heel and they're nice to look at personally but no one else will ever notice unless you have weirdos crawling on the floor checking everyone's heels.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a seamless one would be necessary, but something like the RM Williams or even GG Burnham (single line of stitching down the heel) would aesthetically look better. I have some John Lobbs with a seamless heel and they're nice to look at personally but no one else will ever notice unless you have weirdos crawling on the floor checking everyone's heels.
I see what you mean. I have one pair of actual seamless (needs a new patina) and the cost was almost $600 more. A discreet backseam might be nice as long as it has no effect structurally.

Meccariello won't do that anymore, Carmina also stopped on Shell Chelseas

DSC03506.jpg 148983000_125320952804325_7522931706349848031_n.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought someone on the AM thread showed a wholecut seamless shell cordovan chelsea, though that was probably Aurum rather than Argentum handwelt line.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean. I have one pair of actual seamless (needs a new patina) and the cost was almost $600 more. A discreet backseam might be nice as long as it has no effect structurally.

Meccariello won't do that anymore, Carmina also stopped on Shell Chelseas

View attachment 1561941 View attachment 1561942
Yes - I'd say wholecut chelsea (ie RMW, Carmina, etc) vs seamless whole cut vs this which has an extra superfluous strip of shell added at the back

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought someone on the AM thread showed a wholecut seamless shell cordovan chelsea, though that was probably Aurum rather than Argentum handwelt line.

found it, think it's actually Argentum

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found it, think it's actually Argentum

Are those actually seamless? If so it’s odd that he doesn’t photograph the back to show they’re seamless, given it would be quite special since virtually no one makes a seamless one. I actually don’t know of any maker currently doing one, in this proposed price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads