• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

Potatoe

Reaction score
I think grain leather is the big sell right now.

Big fan of the model below.

l%C3%B6f-tung-kingsley-15294-db-utah-calf-t-last-3-jpg.1557028

archipel

Reaction score
I think you should reconsider the last. I have 003 and 001 and I think 003 is much better for a boot. But I also think less people have experience with it.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should reconsider the last. I have 003 and 001 and I think 003 is much better for a boot. But I also think less people have experience with it.

So the 003 is ACTUALLY a higher version of the 002.

The 008 which we are proposing for this will have the squared toe front and the relevant adjustments to be a boot last.

archipel

Reaction score
So the 003 is ACTUALLY a higher version of the 002.

The 008 which we are proposing for this will have the squared toe front and the relevant adjustments to be a boot last.

Are you sure? I have the captoes (001) and Chelsea's (003) and the last look the same, I might even say that the 003 are a tiny bit wider. When I look at pictures of the 002 last, it seems more pointy and less wide than the 001 last.

yshin10

Reaction score
Beautiful!! Rohan, how much are they gonna run at Naked for US customers? These look beautiful. I CANNOT find any chelsea's with shell cordovan so this is definitely special in the marketplace!

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So given we were gradually shutting down Naked... I am not sure.. but we could sort of go out with a bang!

I will work it out and we go live with pre-orders in the next days.

I think let call these the HW-02

Then Jumper can be HW-03? What do you guys think?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Chelsea boots look nice! Personally, I feel that the toe is a bit bulbous + the heel cup is attached with a separate strip of leather and so it's not a wholecut (well from my perspective I don't see it as a wholecut) but otherwise, nice shoes!

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!! Rohan, how much are they gonna run at Naked for US customers? These look beautiful. I CANNOT find any chelsea's with shell cordovan so this is definitely special in the marketplace!

a lot of brands stopped offering them as they were breaking too much Hide to make a pair afaik so yes definitely special.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yield problem, x out of 10 would break during lasting, so have to throw out (Carmina said that? Ie harder for them to price right given sometimes have to build more margin when things break)

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Chelsea boots look nice! Personally, I feel that the toe is a bit bulbous + the heel cup is attached with a separate strip of leather and so it's not a wholecut (well from my perspective I don't see it as a wholecut) but otherwise, nice shoes!
so that strip is there to close the gap beneath it. I guess we could remove it but its an aesthetic choice made.

Could you show me a picture of something you consider to be closed as a genuine wholecut Chelsea? I can get it in as a customization maybe.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
so that strip is there to close the gap beneath it. I guess we could remove it but its an aesthetic choice made.

Could you show me a picture of something you consider to be closed as a genuine wholecut Chelsea? I can get it in as a customization maybe.
I might be wrong, but I am guessing he means something like RM Williams:

3aM6qFT.jpg

a lot of brands stopped offering them as they were breaking too much Hide to make a pair afaik so yes definitely special.

Shell is a durable material if we consider scratches and so, but its tensile strength sucks big time. It's common for artisans to break or ruin shell when pulling it over a last, for example. This is a big problem for wholecut constructions, since you don't have any stitches anywhere that actually work as a relief.

At least this is the way I always understood shell

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I am guessing he means something like RM Williams:

3aM6qFT.jpg

Shell is a durable material if we consider scratches and so, but it's tensile strength sucks big time. It's common for artisans to break or ruin shell when pulling it over a last, for example. This is a big problem for wholecut constructions, since you don't have any stitches anywhere that actually work as a relief.

At least this is the way I always understood shell
Yup, something like the RM Williams chelseas, or Gaziano Girling wholecut chelsea. But none of these are in cordovan so I can understand if that strip is absolutely required for longevity purposes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads