• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not personal. I am conscious of not getting into it too much and being unfair so i'll keep try to keep it simple.

I bought a pair of loafers in March, they were way too big (after following AoLs advice and against my suggestions). I waited 3 months for the replacements. When they finally arrived my (fairly regular) foot would not go in them at all. They also had a very significant blemish on the toe that was impossible to ignore. Also being so excited by the naked program I ordered a pair of Chelsea boots. The foot fitted well but the ankle was very tight. Additionally both boots had a visable gap on the welt joint with no attempt to tidy up. Both of the boot straps were poorly finished. The edges and fudging were pretty rough on both pairs. AoL acknowledged that these were unacceptable faults and the shoes are being returned.

I think I was nieve to imagine it is possible to buy A £1500 shoe for £300, that is on me.

From my experience of having now handled 4 pairs (there was a pair of black oxfords we used to get the right size) if hand-welting and nice leather is your priority they are great value. If you are expecting high-end (or even mid-range) attention to detail you may be disappointed.

Whilst I am sure many people will be delighted with their shoes they are not for me.

It is possible my shoes were representative of an overworked company (looking at the sneaker thread) working under extreme challenges of Covid etc?

It is not my intention to be rude or unfair to AoL, I admire what they are doing and I'm sure when I see all the beautiful whoelcuts hit this thread I may have a pang of regret.
I just saw this myself. Again I only added it there given things have been happening recently as a consequence of my decision to stand u

I did state it is unfair for me to assume a conspiracy so I shall not. The language used in the last part of my post was unfair to @monkey66 but I was not making an accusation so much as again transparently sharing what could be the case. I have explained why the suspicion arose.

thehkshoeshiner

Reaction score
edited my post. and left the original there so people can see my mistake... My apologies. Still want to understand the logic in your position though so yes if you have time on Monday, would love to speak.

I really appreciate Archibald London's honesty and transparency. I love the back story of this brand and what you are doing looks very legitimate and sincere to me. Keep up the great work man!

thehkshoeshiner

Reaction score
While you're at it: for me it's also impossible to change colors on the cordovans. I've not tried different browsers yet but at least that's the case for Chrome on macOS (I'm also sometimes getting the "Connection Lost" modal, but a simple reload fixes this so this isn't as bad as the inability to configure my shoe).

Edit: I've attached a picture of the "Connection Lost" modal

This is still happening for me.

doofalb

Reaction score
It has been awfully quiet here! Any updates, Rohan/Orlando?

doofalb

Reaction score
Like, anything?
Well, last I heard the v1 version were out to "testers". Did the testers come up with any changes, changes that take time to be implemented or change the look? Are they being manufactured already? They're supposed to be all done OCT 15, that's like 6 weeks away. Is that schedule still do-able? How much longer will the naked price and the ability to cancel orders be open...

CWV

Reaction score
I received an email explaining some changes, like the deepening of the laces **** to make the puting on easier.
I was worried that it might make the non elongated last look even shorter but Orlando told me not to worrie.
I also suggested a beveled waist.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry all perhaps the last update was not clear enough.
Adriano made a final tester right before the Aug holidays in Italy so next week we will hear feedback from that.

Then we are off to production, hand welted will take 6 weeks.

Anyone who ordered multiple pairs will receive one first to confirm sizing and then their subsequent pairs will be made immediately following confirmation. We have a lot of shell cordovans ordered at naked price so these represent far too big a risk for us to not be careful. That is about it really.

The pair will most likely be removed from Naked soon, if you would like to order more now is the time as they are available as part if Naked at the moment but really shouldn't be.

There is talk of a further extension to Naked (been a tough year for a lot producers) but we will see because once it closes it really shouldnt be opened again. Well, at least if we are to ourselves survive as a business. I will also be removing certain products from Naked and folliw the protocol as we did with the sf01 v2.

CarltonBNE

Reaction score
Sorry all perhaps the last update was not clear enough.
Adriano made a final tester right before the Aug holidays in Italy so next week we will hear feedback from that.

Then we are off to production, hand welted will take 6 weeks.

Anyone who ordered multiple pairs will receive one first to confirm sizing and then their subsequent pairs will be made immediately following confirmation. We have a lot of shell cordovans ordered at naked price so these represent far too big a risk for us to not be careful. That is about it really.

The pair will most likely be removed from Naked soon, if you would like to order more now is the time as they are available as part if Naked at the moment but really shouldn't be.

There is talk of a further extension to Naked (been a tough year for a lot producers) but we will see because once it closes it really shouldnt be opened again. Well, at least if we are to ourselves survive as a business. I will also be removing certain products from Naked and folliw the protocol as we did with the sf01 v2.
Any update on HW01? Has production commenced? I would love to hear about the feedback too!

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any update on HW01? Has production commenced? I would love to hear about the feedback too!
In production! The Horween Shell Cordovan should arrive this week with the Suede. Let me see if I can get some pictures from Adriano

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
From the production!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 16.52.38.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 16.52.36.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-30 at 16.52.36 (1).jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads