• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Whats the real benefit of hand welted over GYW? Apart from braging rights

This is a very controversial question which I should probably refrain from answering. @DWFII is amongst those who have given authoritative answers repeatedly.

Personally, my shoe purchase has outpaced the wearing of my leather soles, so, um... :bigstar:

Devis4u

Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to deploy a product that can affect regional stability by affecting the financial stability of many.

I will consider reporting to the Tigress Authority (aka my wife) before your cordovan wholecut Chelsea has a chance to negatively affect my bank deposit.
I'll be homeless but damn I'll look good

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a very controversial question which I should probably refrain from answering. @DWFII is amongst those who have given authoritative answers repeatedly.

Personally, my shoe purchase has outpaced the wearing of my leather soles, so, um... :bigstar:

yea, let's not derail this thread plus 50 others...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whats the real benefit of hand welted over GYW? Apart from braging rights

Yeah...just asking the question...any question about quality...will "derail the thread" esp. for those who really don't want to know.

Best bet is to quash all such lines of inquiry, toot sweet!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, it's an affiliated thread, maybe we can do it somewhere else or just reference it, otherwise it's going to be professional opinion (yours) + infinite 2 cents (myself included), so what do you prefer?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to get an answer actually. I have my own thoughts on the matter about how handwelted shoes sit on top of the mountain much akin to a handmade suit which has a softer feel than an identical machine made one. But because the lay person has no idea what handwelted shoes are it is always tricky for us to market the entire difference SO hearing from the experts would be great. Well, that and we had no idea they were handwelted until joining the forum.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, it's an affiliated thread, maybe we can do it somewhere else or just reference it, otherwise it's going to be professional opinion (yours) + infinite 2 cents (myself included), so what do you prefer?

Although I like to be helpful, I don't really have a preference in this context. I try to stay out of affiliated threads unless someone asks me for my perspective. And even then I limit myself to talking about specific techniques and not about the maker.

Perhaps you could provide a link for the gentleman.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I like to be helpful, I don't really have a preference in this context. I try to stay out of affiliated threads unless someone asks me for my perspective. And even then I limit myself to talking about specific techniques and not about the maker.
Would love to hear it. Sorry guys, but this could be really helpful for us.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would love to hear it. Sorry guys, but this could be really helpful for us.

:cheers:
Well, actually, I have written about the objective differences as as well as the perceived differences extensively almost from the time I came on this forum twelve years ago. So my thoughts and experiences and professional opinions are readily available. All you have to do is search for my posts or threads I have started. (On edit...do an advanced search for the keyword "handwelted" or "HW"and 'posted by' DWFII -- a fair number of results some, at least, relevant)

That said, I don't follow this thread simply because it is an affiliated thread. The only reason I stuck my two cents in was that another member mentioned me (effectively inviting my input). And I was actually two minds about responding until someone suggested it was all just too boring or diversionary or whatever. An attitude I despair of, but encounter all too frequently.

But rather than running off others who were already in this conversation and enjoying their place in it, I will just give you a link to a post I made recently under similar circumstances--here. The post itself is a little long and part of a wider discussion that ranges across 20 or more pages (forward and back) but somewhere in all of it is a tidbit or two of wisdom that you may find useful.

Beyond that...again in deference...I am unsubscribing to this thread and will bow out of this discussion. Unless, of course, someone rubs the lamp and 'calls' me forth again. :cool2: ?

Last edited:

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:cheers:
Well, actually, I have written about the objective differences as as well as the perceived differences extensively almost from the time I came on this forum twelve years ago. So my thoughts and experiences and professional opinions are readily available. All you have to do is search for my posts or threads I have started. (On edit...do an advanced search for the keyword "handwelted" or "HW"and 'posted by' DWFII -- a fair number of results some, at least, relevant)

That said, I don't follow this thread simply because it is an affiliated thread. The only reason I stuck my two cents in was that another member mentioned me (effectively inviting my input). And I was actually two minds about responding until someone suggested it was all just too boring or diversionary or whatever. An attitude I despair of, but encounter all too frequently.

But rather than running off others who were already in this conversation and enjoying their place in it, I will just give you a link to a post I made recently under similar circumstances--here. The post itself is a little long and part of a wider discussion that ranges across 20 or more pages (forward and back) but somewhere in all of it is a tidbit or two of wisdom that you may find useful.

Beyond that...again in deference...I am unsubscribing to this thread and will bow out of this discussion. Unless, of course, someone rubs the lamp and 'calls' me forth again. :cool2: ?
I am sorry to drag you back in here but just this one time. Could I use that post as a guest blog post on our website? It is amazing.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We haven’t developed the shoes in a narrower last yet, but maybe we could ask Adriano to make a test in your size. Problem is that if the model doesn’t work on that last, it would be a waste of cordovan and we wouldn’t be able to accept returns
Not sure I understand “if the model doesn’t work on that last” so I don’t know how to gauge the probabilities here

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand “if the model doesn’t work on that last” so I don’t know how to gauge the probabilities here
I think what Orlando means is we could do a wholecut on the slimmer 002 last for example, however it would be a special order for you. So if the wholecut oxford doesn't look as nice on that last aesthetically, we wouldn't be able to take the return. The survey was overwhelmingly skewed towards the 001 but i guess it doesn't mean that everyone is accomodated.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am sorry to drag you back in here but just this one time. Could I use that post as a guest blog post on our website? It is amazing.

Of course you can. Are you sure you want to? It's kind of context dependent...meaning it is a post that originated in a StyleForum thread, with all that entails both in terms of structure and semantics.

If I had known someone might want to quote it as you are suggesting, I would go back and edit it for spelling and punctuation and get rid of too many "simply becauses." Unfortunately the edit time on that post has elapsed.
All that is neither here nor there, however...yes you have my permission. All I ask is that you be kind and give credit. :cheers: ?

Last edited:

Devis4u

Reaction score
Will the wholecut shellsea be on the 003 last or will a different last be used? I think a chelsea boot in the 001 last style would be gorgeous

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads