• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will answer my own question now that the page is launched. D/E (us) width only. Hope that may include a narrow option down the road. Best of luck on this launch. The whole cut is starting to look very nice.
Second the hope for a narrow option. if narrow were available I’d take 2 of the shell

Last edited:

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Second the hope for a narrow option. if narrow were available I’d take 2 of the shell
We haven’t developed the shoes in a narrower last yet, but maybe we could ask Adriano to make a test in your size. Problem is that if the model doesn’t work on that last, it would be a waste of cordovan and we wouldn’t be able to accept returns

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some more pictures!

4FDB0E11-9FB2-47F0-9734-78AF21EC33A5.jpeg

2A852175-51EC-4145-9064-5E21CE615613.jpeg
1CD47ABC-A41A-473F-883F-72FAEE555A7A.jpeg

CWV

Reaction score
That's a real tragedy.

But for really premium (read: to those who care about handmade shoes) features like handwelting, I do think more effort should be spent to educate those who do not know, and avoid inadvertently propagating the misconception that those luxury mass-market shoes are "the same" but just sold more expensively. Handwelted shoes are qualitatively better in terms of construction.

To be quite honest, the "luxury handwelted RTW" I can immediately think of would either be Santoni Limited Edition or Paolo Scafora ready-to-wear. They may not be the most famous luxury brands, but still "luxury" in a way as they have more marketing and retail outlets.

Exceptional products deserve exceptional comparison, even with a bit of education (which can be an uphill task). Or else the casual buyer looking for "cordovan wholecut" can only find these...

(AND CARMINA SHOES ARE NOT HANDWELTED!!!)

View attachment 1422077

View attachment 1422078
Whats the real benefit of hand welted over GYW? Apart from braging rights

Devis4u

Reaction score
To clarify, can we specify that we want the wider width (E) when placing the order, or did the sizing description just mean that it fits both D and E widths well without a change in last width?

ruvort

Reaction score
To clarify, can we specify that we want the wider width (E) when placing the order, or did the sizing description just mean that it fits both D and E widths well without a change in last width?
That's a good question. I'd like to know this as well.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. I'd like to know this as well.
Hi there it means that it fits both D and E widths well without problems.

Oddly enough the 001 has a very accomodating and versatile shape and a recent reviewer on youtube actually said its good for up to 2.5 E.

I am (was) personally a Churches Custom Grade G and the 001 cap toe is the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. No bias.

Devis4u

Reaction score
Hi there it means that it fits both D and E widths well without problems.

Oddly enough the 001 has a very accomodating and versatile shape and a recent reviewer on youtube actually said its good for up to 2.5 E.

I am (was) personally a Churches Custom Grade G and the 001 cap toe is the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. No bias.
Thanks for the response! I was just a bit confused based on the wording in the description on the website. I'm a Branock 11.5E and was going to order the 44.5 to accommodate the width but I'll go with the 44 instead, barring any suggestions you may have

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I was just a bit confused based on the wording in the description on the website. I'm a Branock 11.5E and was going to order the 44.5 to accommodate the width but I'll go with the 44 instead, barring any suggestions you may have
Hmmm tough to tell. Do you have some comparables you can share and have you used the sizing tool on the site?

Devis4u

Reaction score
Hmmm tough to tell. Do you have some comparables you can share and have you used the sizing tool on the site?
I have a few 12Ds on the AE 65 last which fit well width-wise but with a little bit of heel slippage, which is my main concern. I used the sizing tool, which recommended a size 12 US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads