• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Styleforum x Archibald Hand-Welted Dress Shoes GMTO

ArchibaldLondon

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And… the results are in!

Thank you all for participating in the survey, we can’t wait to hear your thoughts and feedback as we enter phase 2. We see this as an iterative process, so contributions to the survey are still welcome and will supplement general discussion.

Without further ado, attached you can find the outcome of the survey, basically what will be made into samples by our craftsmen Adriano in Italy. We encourage discussion at this point- once again this is a complete collaboration, so if you think it would be interesting to go a different way or deviate from the original plan we are very open to new ideas!

So far, the results show interest in a slightly wider last, with squared toe and ball girth. The most favorite style is the plain wholecut and the favorite material is calfskin. Full leather sole got the majority of the votes, as well as the presence of internal eyelets and waxed laces. Thrilled to see what our craftsman will come up with!

Attachments

CWV

Reaction score
Are you planing on doing only one style or multiple as in sf01?

If multiples styles, let say again how I like the offset of the plainness of a wholecut via a punctured design in the shoe. It makes the shoe so much more versatile bringing the formality down a notch. I personally like the sketching of a wing tip through puncturing as I show in the pictures of the GG I posted

Al sol will there be only leather soles? I agree that is the correct matching to a whole cut, but a mor softer options for those with sensitive feet could be a good idea

ArchibaldRoh

Reaction score
Are you planing on doing only one style or multiple as in sf01?

If multiples styles, let say again how I like the offset of the plainness of a wholecut via a punctured design in the shoe. It makes the shoe so much more versatile bringing the formality down a notch. I personally like the sketching of a wing tip through puncturing as I show in the pictures of the GG I posted

Al sol will there be only leather soles? I agree that is the correct matching to a whole cut, but a mor softer options for those with sensitive feet could be a good idea
It seems like an eternity ago where we were going super fast on this.
I think with this particular one we can offer a couple of options on the checkout such as with the soles etc.
The wingtip puncturing could be a possibility, @OrlandoMo is this something we can get done. I know first samples are on their way (it is pretty much the chosen form, one with internal eyelets and one without..)

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
It seems like an eternity ago where we were going super fast on this.
I think with this particular one we can offer a couple of options on the checkout such as with the soles etc.
The wingtip puncturing could be a possibility, @OrlandoMo is this something we can get done. I know first samples are on their way (it is pretty much the chosen form, one with internal eyelets and one without..)
Great stuff Rohan, thanks. Do you think some leather options could also be chosen at checkout? Just asking. A nice calfskin pair of wholecuts is formal and great, but a nice cordovan pair develops a patina and some ripples like crazy.

Cheers

ArchibaldRoh

Reaction score
Great stuff Rohan, thanks. Do you think some leather options could also be chosen at checkout? Just asking. A nice calfskin pair of wholecuts is formal and great, but a nice cordovan pair develops a patina and some ripples like crazy.

Cheers
Hi @EgoCamisas yes we would like to have this within offering, @OrlandoMo is actually getting in touch with Horween as we speak to see options.

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
@EgoCamisas exactly, we're trying to get as many leather options as we can! What else do you think it could work on a wholecut?
Well if punctured with a faux wingtip I think some waxy kudu would look totally wild. Take this example by Stefano Bemer (). But it's just my humble opinion, I don't know what you guys think.

Cheers!

PS: ofc the example are real wingtips but I wager it would look exactly as wild for a slightly informal pair of dandy'esque wholecuts.

CWV

Reaction score
I think calf and cordovan are great.

What about the crocodile option? Or would it look too pinplike?

ArchibaldRoh

Reaction score
I think calf and cordovan are great.

What about the crocodile option? Or would it look too pinplike?
I think the real challenge will be to have it done and shot.
We could do it with a picture of the leather, but doubt we would be able to get the image ready for it to be judged without making the actual sample and that will cause quite the delay.

Kamil1987

Reaction score
Could you please advise with the sizing of your hand-welted loafer?
From my foot size I should be 43.5, but you confused me with the Nike trainer size. I wear 11US, but 43.5 corresponds to 10US according to your size chart.

In addition I wear 9/9.5 UK in most of the dress shoes (9.5 in Alfred Sargent, 9 in TLB etc.).

Do you think 43.5 is the way to go?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.