The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. IChen

IChen Senior member

How is the quality and fit of Caruso? The Neimans has Caruso tailors coming in next next weekend and will do MTM for approximately $1600.

And how do Caruso suits match up against Ralph Lauren Black Label? Thanks!

2. dfoverdx

dfoverdx Senior member

I think there's no linear classification... If you look at the handwork, nothing is better than Cesare Attolini. Kiton fabrics are nice and special to them but handwork is much less than Attolini etc. etc.
    Caruso SP line is at par with RLPL (i have both and even the styles are similar, RLPL having much more shoulder paddings but the treatment is similar).

3. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

BB Golden Fleece is characterized as "Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category"? And ranked a category above mainline Canali and Zegna? I cannot follow this based on my experience with those brands.

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Golden Fleece is partially hand made, whereas Canali and Mainline Zegna are machine made; can anybody confirm?

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

GF has actually been made by several different manufacturers. Isn't it Southwick now? I doubt those have much handwork.

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Actually, I still see the Made in Italy (Lardini) ones in store. Southwick probably has an arrangement similar to Caruso where there is a section in the factory for handmade garments. Please correct me if somebody has toured the factory.

7. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I have also looked at many patterned Golden Fleece suits and the pattern matching is disastrous. Even at easy spots like the center rear seam of the suits stripes do not match. Maybe there is some handwork involved, but what does it help if the basics are off.

You also need to take into consideration the quality of the fabrics, which I consider to be by far nicer in case of RTW Canali and especially RTW Zegna compared to the Saxxon fabrics of RTW BB GF.

8. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Last time I had a look (at the King of Prussia Mall) the available GF stuff was all Made in USA. On the current website it is both Made in USA and Made in Italy.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

You would kinda expect that because they apparently switched from St andrea to Caruso for RLPL some time back. You are right that you cannot do a linear classification and thats why this thread is attempting to group them and any differentiation within the various groups is just nitpicking as per your example of attolini having better handwork vs kiton's better fabric, but both of them are top tier when it comes to both fabric and handwork which is why they are both in the top ranking group.

10. Cognacad

Cognacad Senior member

I don't post in here too often, but if I need to update the opening post (e.g., with newer instructions) I am happy to. Just send me a PM.

11. Renton

Renton Senior member

Any opinions on the house line for Sid Mashburn?

12. Hye Style

Hye Style Member

Where does Caraceni fit in on the list?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Just handled two Kiton suits , fabrics are on par with Caruso or Partenopea. A lot of handwork around lapels collar and armholes. However the jackets are way too long for me (I am 5'11") the cut is ugly (hesitant 2 1/2).Pants have banana shape. Pants are actually nothing special in construction just curtain split waist no handwork that i can see. Overall I would not buy these suits at any price , I 'd rather take machine made Zegna Trofeo than Kiton's hand made awkwardness . Terribly disappointed in Kiton's tailoring.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  14. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

What kind of physique do you have?

15. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Richard Anderson is now making RTW. They are a great fit for a normal build, check them out on his website!!