• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Anthonio

Reaction score
I saw very nice quality in Paul Stuart suits, although I am not an expert on judging the many parameters that go into the hierarchical list, I feel they make great suits. Also, for very reasonable prices, Daniel Cremieux and Lubiam offer nice quality. Ravazzolo makes extremely fine suits, in my opinion, but I don't see them around much. I appreciate all the work and effort that went into the list, very inspiring. Hope it continues.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart "starts" at Samuelsohn made suits, and ends up with handmade suits by various manufacturers. I've seen Oxxford, Saint Andrews, Isaia, Caruso, and some more. They have some $6k made in Italy suits, and $5k made in USA suits on their website now.

edit: In any case, I think theit Samuelsohn made suits have nicer cuts than Samuelsohns own suits.

Anthonio

Reaction score
Paul Stuart "starts" at Samuelsohn made suits, and ends up with handmade suits by various manufacturers. I've seen Oxxford, Saint Andrews, Isaia, Caruso, and some more. They have some $6k made in Italy suits, and $5k made in USA suits on their website now.

edit: In any case, I think theit Samuelsohn made suits have nicer cuts than Samuelsohns own suits.
Very interesting! Thank you.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LP varies, some made by st andrews(and isaia ?) ,and dont know who make those main light construction coats (luxsury fabric)

dont like BC suits,not only their half canvassed,but also the style

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thought both LP and BC are half canvassed though with awesome fabrics, I would get BC at deep sale, I do like their style as sports coat not suits though.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thought both LP and BC are half canvassed though with awesome fabrics, I would get BC at deep sale, I do like their style as sports coat not suits though.

well BC is flying off the yoox sale. seems to be really popular. and yeah the fabrics look awesome, kind of unique

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score
If this has been discussed on SF, someone please direct me to it: Any comments on how Own Only suits compare to Suit Supply and Indochino in overall quality and value for the price?

mk05

Reaction score
I think this list could use some updating.

Could someone share some opinions on why BB Black Fleece became "average?" Also, any perspectives on whether this list is outdated/obsolete? I'm just curious why only old-time styled, boxy, full-cut manufacturers are allowed to be 5*s. I think it is past time to generalize that poor-quality, fashion-forward brands make slim-cut suits (as mentioned previously).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BBBF ended no? The list definitely needs updating but don’t think it has bias towards boxy old man cut...

Isaia/Brioni/Kiton/Attolini are not boxy. Tom Ford might be the only “designer” that can go top tier...

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any comments about loro piana or brunello cucinelli suits?

Loro Piana is great, but expensive. And as far as I can tell, they have two different lines. One is their MTM business style suits, which have been made by:

- Caruso
- St. Andrews
- Isaia

And probably some others...I've owned a dozen of those, made by various makers. They're on the same level as RLPL, Stuart's Choice, Stefano Ricci, and similar brands that are in the same price bracket, and use same makers.

Their Sport Coats (and such) are usually unlined, and maybe half-canvassed? They're very soft, and usually in cashmere and similar fabrics.

Stilig

Reaction score
Loro Piana is great, but expensive. And as far as I can tell, they have two different lines. One is their MTM business style suits, which have been made by:

- Caruso
- St. Andrews
- Isaia

And probably some others...I've owned a dozen of those, made by various makers. They're on the same level as RLPL, Stuart's Choice, Stefano Ricci, and similar brands that are in the same price bracket, and use same makers.

Their Sport Coats (and such) are usually unlined, and maybe half-canvassed? They're very soft, and usually in cashmere and similar fabrics.

I know that at least part of Loro Piana's RTW offering is made by Gabo in Casalnuovo, just outside Naples. They make a half canvassed jacket with some handmade detailing. Gabo is very nice for the price they charge of their own label, but I wouldn't pay the premium for Loro Piana.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads