The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    I have a D'Avenza cotton suit, partially lined. I don't have many suits, but it's one of my favorites. I got lucky and it fit straight away. All that needed to be done was to hem the trousers and put the buttons on the sleeves. The quality, to my untrained eye, is quite good, the fabric is an excellent weight for a cotton suit. Good luck.

2. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Thanks! It arrives tomorrow and I'll get it to my tailor Friday. Wool/silk blend in beige with ticket pocket. Should make a nice summer suit. the vendor topshelfapparel has a bunch of D'Avenza on eBay. I don't think many Americans have experience with it. (I have no connection to the vendor I mentioned, just a satisfied customer).

3. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

I think I got the suit from them as well! Was looking to get more, but never got around to it! Let us know how it turns out!

4. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Will do! I get lots of Oxxford and Zegna from him as well. Great store. ever try Sartoriale? Great Italian stuff.

5. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

I look at sartoriale a lot. But I think top shelf has better value. Granted, at sartoriale, we're talking kiton and attolini here, but it's still a lot of cash at one go,

6. Luellwitz

Luellwitz Member

Need to add Jack Victor to the list.

7. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

All I've seen have been fused but with decent fabric. Probably belongs in the mediocre category if at all.

8. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I agree. Nothing wrong with JV overall but it's fused and could maybe fit in bottom category.

9. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

i think i made a mistake. read this article by chance which says

"The Chiaia-Napoli suit is produced in its entirety on location, that is, neither the blazer production nor the trouser production is outsourced. "

10. Romeomikehotel

Romeomikehotel Well-Known Member

11. TimmyL

TimmyL Active Member

So RLBL> RLPL current is just because of the price? Or the quality have gone lower...
    I'm comparing a charcoal RLBL with a navy RLPL current... The RLBL is about half the price though...

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

So from what I gather Ralph Lauren Suits now go RLPL (old) > RLBL (discontinued but might be able to get lucky on ebay) > RLPL (current) > Polo RL

I disagree with this

the current RLPL is composed of the old RLPL (now still 4~5k, i.e. stuff still on Drake and Savile Row fit) and old RLBL (now lablelled RLPL but still has Nigel/Anthony fit, looks like Daniel fit is gone though) so it's >= old RLBL

13. TimmyL

TimmyL Active Member

So is there any fabric upgrade for the 2K RLPL compare to the old black label? I found a old black label at the Saks outlet store and notice the pants have some minor difference... Seems like the 2K purple label is better in detail than old black label.
    Also as long as it's black label Anthony fit, they are all made by Caruso? I'm thinking of getting a old black label(the one I found at Saks) but kind of worried about the quality & fabric.