The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Some (or maybe all) are labelled as such:

[​IMG]

I was in a Lewin store recently and they have some reasonable casual unstructured jackets which are probably decent, since even if they're not canvassed, you're not getting really heavy fusing.

2. Myshkin

Myshkin Member

Nice. This is perfect. Just the kind of answer I was looking for.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

We need to get Mabro on the list. Kinda hard to find, but they produce for many private labels. Quality is on par with Caruso, Canali, etc...they use seriously nice fabric too.

The brand is overshadowed by Canali, Caruso and Corneliani, but do check Mabro out.

4. tasp

tasp Member

Mabro dosn't exist anymore.

5. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

can anyone comment on the quality of 'Sartoria Castangia Platinum Collection' ? are they used more handwork or just update the fabric compared to the normal S.C. line?

(want to check some details of castangia lines and find this on ebay)
    [​IMG]

6. lildog

lildog Member

Really interesting thread! Changed my perception of multiple brands; instinctively I would always hold Ring Jacket & Brunello Cucinello suits to a higher standard than Polo RL and Paul Smith...

Were would you place: Eidos and Gabo napoli? Really like both brands aesthetically for their price.

7. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I believe they are first rate. They make suits and sport coats for Battistoni (or at least used to). hard to find here in States. Niccolo's in Georgetown carries them but I've never seen them elsewhere.

8. dresstokill

dresstokill Well-Known Member

I love Gabo - I think their quality is spot on considering the price tag. Lots of hand work and great style.

9. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

10. canon5dfan

canon5dfan Well-Known Member

Can anyone speak to Eidos Napoli and how it stacks? I'm in need of a dark grey suit and I really don't want to spend 2k on sartoria formosa. FWIW I'm coming from a suit supply jort and was thinking of going with them again but bloomies has a sale so if there are any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

11. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Full canvas, mostly machine-finished. Build quality is similar to Ma.Co/Caruso; I don't think you'll see a huge difference from an SS Jort.

That being said, I think the cloth choices for Eidos has always been their strongpoint.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. canon5dfan

canon5dfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. When you say cloth choices do you mean the colors or quality of the wool / materials? I can get a Suit Supply suit for ~$700, a Eidos for ~$1100, or a Sartoria Formosa for $2,000. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if quality of cloth becomes very quickly a diminishing returns game. I don't mind paying a $300-400 premium for eidos if the fabric will last longer. I guess the question I have is how much quality is in that $900 gap between Eidos and Sartoria? Assuming fit is great for both?

13. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I would say try it on, clothe quality blah blah is all mute point if you don't like the cut/fit. I know it's your first big time item, and try to determine the best bang of buck, but it's not that kind of exercise, you want to find something that makes you feel good to wear and comfortable while looks good, even if's not the best value proposition, so what? You determine the value proposition not us.

14. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Cloth choices as in aesthetics, not quality or how long it lasts. Compared to SS, Eidos's cloths are likely more expensive and the suit is factory-made in Italy instead of China -- that's the $300-400 premium. Sartoria Formosa's is not factory-made to my knowledge, and the premium comes from both cloths and handwork.

Agree with clee that fit/silhouette is more important anyway. Never personally been a fan of Sartoria Formosa's silhouette for example, so all the handwork in it is mute.