1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I forgot how fucking good this fall's Missoni was. Did this hat make it to production anywhere??

[​IMG]

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

Seeing how last year hats were on yoox, I'm going to guess they did.

3. sipang

sipang Senior member

Because why not

Raf Simons & Veronique Branquinho

Fall/Winter 1998

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    6 people like this.
  4. snake

snake Senior member

That reminds me I really ought to grab a copy of belgian fashion design.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Been thinking about making a book thread

3 people like this.
  6. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Viral marketing prior to the release of The Matrix

2 people like this.
  7. sipang

sipang Senior member

It's weird that those fashion shows feel so old -- not outdated but just so far away from now -- whereas music or films like the Matrix don't. It's just a completely separate time continuum. Maybe that's just me.

8. sipang

sipang Senior member

Here's something

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. the shah

the shah Senior member

don't forget your three Rs of fashion: reduce, reuse, recycle

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

Tout à fait.

Pic is from 1982 btw.

Might've already been posted in the other thread

[​IMG]

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Because you can get the Matrix on Blu Ray in HD. Look at the photography in the pics you posted - they're grainy; the colors are deadened; they're like 24x10 resolution. Makes it feel like it's from another era when it was only 15 years ago.

12. the shah

the shah Senior member

[moved to a more relevant place]

returned to irrelevance

i didn't think it was high fashion or runway but just tangential. anyway, saw this in ivwri's blog, I'm not sure of what value this book is but I found this section interesting:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  13. sipang

sipang Senior member

No this is the relevant place, what are you doing !

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Quote: From A History of Future Cities, by Daniel Brook

15. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

re: Shah's quote of that book excerpt - Interesting. Seems the "elite" creating the "critical fashion discourse" are only the elite because they have a pulpit to shout from, which signals that they have some authority even if in reality they don't know squat, and because people believe them. For example, you post an opinion on a tumblr page that 10 people look at and it's just your opinion; you post the identical words on gq.com and suddenly it carries a great deal of weight, because it's reaching a large audience which assumes gq has some kind of knowledge they don't. Their authority consists in having a large number of people think they have power/expertise/whatever, and all that's required to geld the so-called elite is to recognize that their power/expertise/whatever is not absolute. (And the "elite" is generally not a monolith but a group of different people, often with different views, jockeying to prove they have that more of that power/expertise/whatever than the others in the group.)

Also, fashion can still be seen as essentially local. It's whatever a community deems fashionable, which is how you get niches—they're just small communities. Today, the "community" is huge because of technology. The "Western" community spans from Australia to Europe to North America, which is kinda funny because you can see that the term "the West" no longer refers to a place but a way of thinking derived from the European heritage. Hell, even Japan and South Korea seem more "Western" than, say, Cuzco, Peru. But in a community that doesn't care about what the West's fashion elite says is fashion, you still see fashion, just defined according to that community's standards. The devastating "material, social, and physical consequences" suffered by the supposedly barbarous "Rest" only occur if the "Rest" consent—that is, if they concede that the Western elite actually has some authority. (Of course there are reasons why they consent stemming from imperialism...)

ok, blah blah blah over...

2 people like this.
  16. the shah

the shah Senior member

thanks for humoring me, pppp
    i think what you're getting at is why i may have issues with the book in general. but even beyond the pulpit there's a sense of putting down that which differs. you've to look at the forums to see this, SF making fun of SZ, MC (*ehem* CM) calling SWD childish costumed basement dwellers / SWD calling them wanna-be iGent ballers stuffing into suits day in and day out without recognition of its snapshot 1950s ideal, everyone making fun of people at the mall, ... , maybe this is all self-reassurance that the said group is right. assume an identy (c4est) and convince yourselves it's right.

17. the shah

the shah Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i can't read this shit

4 people like this.
  19. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

If you're a subscriber to the theories put forth by Benedict Anderson in his seminal work, the 'putting down that which differs' is both fundamental and endemic to generating and sustaining a group identity.

1 person likes this.