The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

bondage and nipple cutouts

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

Fall 88-89 (first show in 1986) Fall 92-93 Fall 93-94 (+ AnnD ) Spring 94 Fall 94-95 Fall 95-96 Fall 96-97 Spring 2001 Spring 2002 Spring 2003 Fall 04-05

3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

it's kind of tough to really get the love for HL, in my opinion, without thinking back to what fashion was like at the time. that article mentions over and over the way the ’80s were, where everything was overdone and about conspicuous luxury. Then HL came in at the end of the ’80s with an aesthetic that stood in direct contrast to that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

HL was definitley "the arch minimalist of the 90s". I started paying attention to fashion mostly because of his campaigns in the 90s/00s which always used cool photographers or artists, great typography and didn't really look like typical fashion ads. They were minimal and striking, like his clothes. I still think FW 2003 was one of the best collections. His perfumes were also fantastic. I still have a half bottle of the edp which I use sparingly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

5. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i dont want to derail the hl convo but i just saw this on aitor throup's facebook page:

On Sunday 17th June, at 3pm, a special event will take place to announce and preview the launch of Aitor Throup's eponymous product line. The event will be hosted by two of the most influential fashion journalists of current times, Sarah Mower and Tim Blanks. Images and videos from the preview will be uploaded here throughout the day.

The launch of Aitor Throup's product being available commercially on a seasonal basis signals an exciting new phase for the studio. The amount of innovation in every structural aspect of Aitor Throup's product has resulted in an intensely rigorous and precise developmental process.
    Exactly two years ago, the studio originally attempted to launch the product line, but this had to be cancelled at the last minute due to external manufacturing limitations. Since then, the Aitor Throup studio has expanded its development, sampling and production capabilities, and are currently carrying out every element of the operation in-house.

A very limited amount of the first commercially available product will be launched at retail later this year. More information on this will be available after the event.

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Only four nights sleeping !

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Still need to watch all the videos, but thanks a lot for posting them sipang. Don't know that much about Helmut Lang aside from the odd campaign here and there and some of his women's stuff. I like the menswear stuff I have seen though. Not what I would want to wear myself, but it looks really cool on others.

The Aitor Throup news is the best thing I have seen today. Very happy that he seems to have sorted out his production process. Now, to hope that one doesn't get disappointed with the collection :lol:.

8. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Thanks for resurrecting the thread again guys. Just got back from a 13 hour day at work and now just going through all the videos. Will comment in depth afterwards in response to AFL if I don't pass out on the couch

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Just wanted to bump the thread and remind you guys that Aitor Throup's event is today at 3pm GMT. Worth keeping track of his Facebook as they say images will be uploaded there throughout the day from the event. I'm excited and pray it is not a big disappointment.

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/AitorThroupStudio

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Great pre fathes day gift for you, ivwri :satisfied:

11. sipang

sipang Senior member

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

...if the collection is good that is :laugh:

13. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Just remember - the secret to happiness is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Seems like all that was showcased was the shiva skull bag (which I like in theory because of how it really captures a sort of street culture and blends that with the type of mythology that people involved in those scenes synergise with very well. Not sure how functional it would be or whether I would want to own one, but you never know...) and loads of wireframe representations of his inspiration/methodology for the current collection which seems to have something to do with Mongolia (horses, riders). Pretty interesting in terms of what it evokes, and the shirt he was wearing and showed on one of the wireframe models looked cool, but have to wait to see more to pass any judgement.

Nothing new to him then (there was even an image of a model playing a saxophone like his New Orleans stuff), but I guess that makes sense as he has effectively spent the last couple of years perfecting his production process and iterating gradually on his core ideas and forms rather than working on creating new headaches for himself. Dealing with problems his art side created for his design side to solve heh.

Some random twitter images from the exhibition (and one from nowfashion) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nowfashion link with images of the wireframe models

EDIT -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

Wearing CCP drips I see.

Hard to see any hints to an actual concrete collection in all this though, as interesting as the whole wireframe technical aspect must be to look at up close.