The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

ahaha team NB!!! Edit: laughing with sipang. i do not own nb's

i had a pair of stan smiths that i painted black #aheadofmytime?
    now i work out in airmax's

thomas tait did something (maybe a show?) with nike on the models feet

Last edited: May 29, 2012

2. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Team NB for me as well. Love my MT110s, and British heritage is a plus too.

For girls I still like the Marant sneaks that have gotten super played out. Original black and taupe-ish colours were so good

3. snake

snake Senior member

Wearing that same pair of Stan Smiths right now actually :slayer:

edit: no way are those marant sneakers played out. Tons of pics of them being worn, but I swear it's like the same two girls in 20 diff angles.

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

That Marant girl wearing that Céline coat

Aren't Stan Smiths discontinued btw ?

5. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

[​IMG]
    Anabela Belikova
    Quote:
    In a few months I think.

6. snake

snake Senior member

Yeah they're going to let the remaining stock dwindle down I think. I'll probably grab a pair of all whites before too long.

7. sipang

sipang Senior member

one more if you feel like it

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks a lot for all the articles and photos guys.

Her work all seems quite "adult" in terms of the way it comes out even though she is definitely influenced by street culture. Maybe it is the minimalism inherent in the cuts? In contrast, Raf's old work comes off as being for a much younger group of people. I am not sure whether it is because he was influenced primarily by youth culture and not street culture, but I would have thought that both tend to overlap.

Nowadays it seems like he has "grown up" for lack of a better term and his work seems less relevant or exciting as a result (even though he still seems to have vestiges of his former influences showing up). I wonder whether it has to do with the differences between men's and women's fashion causing minimalist x urban clothing to look more mature on women than on men as the links and references for each are different? Men being linked to sci-fi and escapism while with women it comes across as sophisticated and independent? Wish I could express what I mean better...

9. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think you answered your question.

Philo's streetwear infuences are not meant to be taken as literally as Raf's, Céline is about functional and utilitarian clothes for the working woman, staples not trends, not "pretty" or girly etc, that's the streetwear-sportswear angle and it works because it's a direct reflection of the designer's personality and ethos ("It’s the work of a woman working for women, who simply gets it.”, "feminist fashion" etc... also philophiles not célinophiles). Philo's inspiration and Céline customer base are one and the same, as you said sophisticated and independent women... that can afford it.

Raf's references were (sub)cultural and generational, it's about youths and growing up in a small city and about music ("the only escape") and about outcasts ("Raf turns his focus to the fans, paying tribute to a group within society that generally gets dismissed). At some point, there was bound to appear a tension between what the work is referencing, who the customer base actually is and the evolving pov of the designer.

11. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

HOW DO YOU KNOW SO MUCH

please take me on as an apprentice :D

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

a) Creating a facade of expertise is my only skill, after that I just wing it.

b) fashion computer

Last edited: May 31, 2012

13. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

You forgot one of these "[​IMG]" sipang

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks for replying sipang. I guess I did answer my own question in a way...heh.

It is very interesting the way you put Phoebe Philo's approach to design. I am trying to think about an equivalent to her in men's fashion and no one comes to mind at the moment (it is past 1am here and I am tired so if there is someone blindingly obvious or I start rambling please forgive me :lol:). It seems all of the utilitarian designers ran away to the tech part of the spectrum. People like Errolson Hugh or Aitor Throup or the other guys who actually founded companies like CP, Arcteryx, etc. Is the functional and utilitarian male wardrobe really just about braving the elements and 2/3 piece suits? That seems kind of depressing. Of course, would be nice to get some suggestions or pointers to other designers with a similar design er...motivation?

I guess now that I think about it, Aitor Throup seemed to have been approaching this sort of thing a little bit with stuff like his Legs series and the Funeral of New Orleans. His approach was more archetypically masculine I guess, but it would have been pretty interesting to see what he would have gotten up to if he stayed in the game a bit longer instead of running off on his extended diversion cum pilgrimage to CP Company and Umbro. I feel men's fashion could do with someone like a Phoebe Philo and/or Aitor Throup along with more conceptually abstract designers as it seems to me to be slowly entering a rut, albeit a mildly interesting rut, of fabrics and construction techniques. Would be nice to see things that were not yet again influenced by the military/outdoor wear/workwear gene pool yet again or endless attempts at making art by people like CCP. Even if not too many people actually bought the clothing, heh.

Speaking of CCP, I saw these awesome images featuring clothing from one (some?) of his women's collections but couldn't find anything else. They are from SOME/THINGS magazine. Anyone have scans from the rest of this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Still waiting on your own thoughts regarding Raf, and immaturity Urthwhyte.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

CCP
    Vogue, March 2000

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012