1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I think Rad Hourani is trying something new, if that counts. The problem is really mainstream acceptance - I don't see how we get "new" stuff without a cultural change. There's only so much you can do with trousers and a jacket

1 person likes this.
  2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I guess what I meant by "ideas of the relationship between clothing and the human body" is more ideas that I already agree with or hold some interest to me specifically as opposed to just exploring that space. Someone like Yohji has a particular view to how his clothing interacts with the wearer and I connect with that on a gut and higher level and he constantly explores that particular relationship season in and season out. Rei is more like a scientist with unlimited funding performing experiments for the sake of performing them. That's great, but it also means some seasons she will leave me uninterested or out of my depth when she crosses over to stuff that holds no interest to me. So what I tend to look out for after the core idea is just whether she makes any cool clothes I can incorporate into my wardrobe. So yeah, it IS related, but doesn't hold too much interest for me.

For me, Comme is more about the clothing and in particular Rei's overarching view than the person that is going to wear those clothes. It almost demands intellectual analysis and discussion. On the other hand, when I see things like Yohji's collections I don't feel that desire for analysis beyond catching references in the clothing. It's like going to a modern art gallery versus admiring artwork in a comic book. I enjoy both in slightly different ways. The comic has art and design cues that you can look for and if you spot them they can enhance your appreciation of why the artist did a particular panel in a certain way or how their brush work enhanced a scene and filled it with emotional intensity or what have you but that's different from trying to understand or get an interpretation of an abstract painting where you begin questioning its impact on you, what you know about the artist in question, where it was presented to you etc and at the end of the day almost feeling obliged to do so.

One feels like work, albeit in a good way, the other like enjoying good music or fine wine.

3 people like this.
  3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I am not much for "new" either and will just echo what Hendrix said. As long as the designer has a narrative that interests me and presents their collection in an appropriate way that gets that across I am all good. I feel that if one is truly chasing this idea of a particular concept behind what they do and iterates within that space - and when I say concept I don't mean stuff like show themes, more like what they want to accomplish with their clothing in general; what does their brand stand for? - they will probably end up with quite a few innovative ways of doing old things.

4. the shah

the shah Senior member

Interesting this came up t

[​IMG]

“Performance art for destefashioncollection at @BarneysNY”

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

;-) I wouldn't go that far! I'm just looking at this topic through the branding lens. I think any designer with a worthwhile idea/product can benefit from good marketing. This is a great thread btw. I wish I had more time to read all the entries. I mostly just peek in once in a while to browse the images. Thanks to all who post the cool sh*t. I work with a lot of photographers, so the image-making, branding side of fashion is always interesting to me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I caught a ton of flak in here for saying that I would wear KVA's designs despite thinking that he's not a good designer. What I view as good design and what I would wear don't necessarily overlap all that much; I don't particularly like Geller either but I have like three Geller pieces.

7. the shah

the shah Senior member

you mostly sound like you don't listen to your better senses :p

8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Pretty much. I've thought the same thing about Philip Lim.

I was thinking about how we use "derivative" as a criticism of the mainstream designers, but we don't apply such stringent definitions of "derivative" to the smaller designers. I think it parallels to music; I listened to a Zulu Winter album today and thought, while very enjoyable and listenable, it was really doing nothing more innovative than Kelly Clarkson, except that the itunes genre was "indie" as opposed to "pop".

That's fine because it's still enjoyable; but on the other hand I like to keep it real and also admit to enjoying Kelly Clarkson.
    How come none of the hipsters are calling these bands out when they snear at pop music?

Look at how self-perpetuating some of the Japanese directions of design are, yet none of that stuff is labeled as trend-following.

I say free passes to all!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Yo dawg his tees fit nice, don't be hatin'!

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I've actually been a DJ for a long time now of electronic music, which was hipster music until about a year and a half ago. It's interesting because there isn't a clearly defined line between certain pop and very underground dub/electronica. For instance, imo Timbaland is a really talented producer and doesn't clash at all in a set without any other pop music; he's only distinguished by the 'pop'ness of his lyrics and by his fan base. Likewise, a lot of tracks from really highly regarded artists like Joker are only separated from some pop songs by better production/ more complicated rhythm.

For example, this mix blends the two types of music pretty seamlessly - http://soundcloud.com/diplo/sirius-xm-blow-your-head-12

That said Kelly Clarkson is trash from any perspective [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Those sorta breakdown parts; I can just imagine him being like "Yeah. I'm playing Bieber. That's right."

It was a bit harsh going from listening to Jeeves and Wooster audio book to that. Really love those minimalist house drums at the beginning and throughout. dum...bah-doo-bah. dum...bah-do-bah...

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Just wondering: why is that the case? Is it budget, feeling uncomfortable standing out where you live? Or something else?

13. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I think I get where you're coming from. There are a lot of brands I don't care for, but would wear individual pieces form. Sometimes it's just a matter of recontextualizing.

14. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Well, like AFL said, the context is important when you're critiquing something as fashion, and not as much if you're going to wear it - the people saying that Ervell's latest collections are boring (to which I agree) also probably have no problem buying something from those collections if they want a basic piece to wear. Budget is a big piece of it too - I don't feel like spending $10,000 on clothes when I don't have to buy things to maintain an interest. You can't just go out and buy an Ann D jacket either - you then have to buy the shirt and pants, and then you only have one outfit so you need another shirt and pants, etc on to infinity.

But doesn't practically everyone on this site do this to some degree? Unless you're a Saudi Prince or a CEO you have to draw the line somewhere other than where your interests end.

1 person likes this.
  15. sipang

sipang Senior member

At this point, I feel like I should confess

that I mostly wear jcrew.

4 people like this.
  16. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Definitely budget for me - I have a pretty decent gig doing software development, but school expenses, other hobbies (cycling=>money sink) and retirement savings cut into the clothes budget significantly. Being at uni means no one really gives a damn how you dress, so I wouldn't really feel uncomfortable for that reason.

17. Sevier

Sevier Member

You're probably all sick of hearing about Raf, (and possibly a repost) but I thought this was interesting anyway.

Raf
    By Cathy Horyn
    Published: September 18, 2005

18. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

I find Raf kind of annoying lately
    in interviews he says the same things over and over again
    he does weird photo sessions like in I-D magazine or fantastic man
    his menswear collections for jil and his own label were really bad in the last 3 seasons

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Runway shows are "selling" to editors and buyers. Mags and store then sell to consumers. This explain the apparent discrepancy.

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

In Paris you see a minimum of 5 girls/day wearing those sneakers or one of the highstreet copies. Def overdose.

1 person likes this.