The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

2. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Styling certainly has an impact on how a collection is reviewed; Miyake and Rei present excellent examples of the presentation being as important as the garments themselves. The A-POC showing where the final walk had all of the models in a single garment and that CdG collection with the bruised eye/abused women makeup both garnered more press than the rest of the show combined. A more recent example is Rick Womenswear FW12 with the controversy over the background music and significance of the masks. Theory and AF Vandervorst were also well received this year due to their phenomenal styling

3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Ex sent me a link to a graduate collection from one of the schools near her. Quite the mix of influences, but some of the pieces looked quite nice. Link

4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

pieces in pic 11 look great

5. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

The detail is impressive. The crop eskimo jacket is cool, reminds me of that Rick fur-lined hoodie from FW11. Would like the draped dress in 6 much more if it was only slit down one side, or the pieces came together instead of being so revealing.

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

oh yeah that jacket is nice too.
    what school is it if you dont mind?

7. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Pic 11 says Parsons, not sure about the others though

I want a Parsons girlfriend :inlove:

Last edited: May 28, 2012

8. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I answered snow in thumbs. Parsons pic was from the designers tumblr, dl'ed it by mistake. Pretty awesome though, like those CoS neoprene hoodies crossed with Raf at Jil.

Quote: Dating art students is the worst.

Edit: All the fashunz photos I've collected. Bunch of high res versions of collections from the past three years. Vogue's poorly secured CDN <3

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Yeah sure but what's interesting is how pervasive the use of stylists (some of whom work for several different collections at the same time) seems to have become, it's obvious that designers aren't in charge of every minute detail but I naively assumed they were behind the styling of their shows. I mean, it makes sense but I guess I never thought about it.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

Raf hungover editorial from Fantastic Man is hilarious, why am I only seeing this now ?

kill me now...

[​IMG]

11. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I've always thought of it a bit like product development and engineering (I guess because that's what I know). You have one set of people come up with the ideas, determine how it's going to work, the next set implements it, and then a third makes it pretty, and the final set gets it to market. Most stuff follows that model nowadays

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i'm discussing with my cousin to have some light-weight unstructured jacket tailored when she has some free time ;)

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

well in that case, let me know if she needs a fit model for jackets

...or anything else, really :embar:

14. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

That issue of Fantastic Man was the first fashion mag I had picked up in a looooong time. Was horrified by that pic, especially when I saw people reblogging it on tumblr and gushing over it and the rest of the pics from that photoshoot. Horrible. Feel sad that I missed the period of Raf that really struck my fancy design-wise...I love how Hapsical is ride or die though.

On the stylist issue I actually thought that the styling would usually come from an in-house stylist not someone third party. I guess that is naive, but I guess it's like hiring photographers and art directors. They come in and bring their professionalism and knowledge and use it to interpret the designer's vision for that collection. They also seem to be responsible for making this whole fashion business more obtuse than it needs to be a lot of the time for non-hobbyists. A lot of people I know believe that most of the clothes they see on the runway never make it to production and that you have to have special connections to pick up pieces shown there. Is that successful styling? Surely as much as fashion can be an artistic and intellectually satisfying experience it is also a commercial one? Some of these stylists remind me of advertising agencies and graphic/web designers that began making more and more obtuse ads and other content that only made sense to others "in the know". Made for great awards shows, but ultimately alienated the potential consumers they were selling to.

Was having a conversation with my sister-in-law about fashion as she is interested in expanding her knowledge (and wardrobe) of designers and when she saw Rick shows she liked some pieces but thought it would be too much for her. After she browsed some online stores her opinion of the brand changed completely and she said that Rick's clothing looked a lot more interesting and wearable for her now she is going to check it out in brick & mortar stores. Same thing with Phoebe Philo's Celine collections which she liked in the stores when she saw them and didn't even know who Phoebe Philo was. When she saw the runway shows she felt unmoved and even alienated by them.

Speaking of which, anyone willing to do a Phoebe Philo rundown on here? Really liking some of her stuff and aesthetic.

15. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I just finished a small article on Philo's role at Celine and the return to minimalism post-Great Recesssion, I can clean it up a bit and post it in a week or so.