• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Strokes (Official Thread!)

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Angles coming out in a few days.

Is This It is the soundtrack of my adolescence. Room on Fire was basically the same album, so I guess that too. Any other fans here? Favorite tracks?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big Casablancas fan. Strokes music is good. I liked his side project.

MrFarnon

Reaction score
I liked Room on Fire, a good number of their tracks are good, but I don't like all of them

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love me some Strokes and Angels is going to be an insta-download.

Modern Age is probably my favorite off of their first album, but it's all good..

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just listened the whole way through the album.

I haven't been this disappointed since I saw my prom date naked.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I love me some Strokes and Angels is going to be an insta-download.

Modern Age is probably my favorite off of their first album, but it's all good..

Someday and Hard to Explain are my favorite tracks. I'll be waiting at my local record store for when Angles drop.

Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Just listened the whole way through the album.

I haven't been this disappointed since I saw my prom date naked.

Huh? When they played SNL, I really loved both tracks. Here's hoping that my opinion differs from yours.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's actually a "Angles" thread right here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...15#post4246315

You might get a kick out of this. 8 bit versions of Strokes songs:

Is This It:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Room On Fire:

As for the new album, I think this is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. They need to work out what kind of band they want to be. Some good songs, but a bit too many bells and whistles for my liking.

As for my favourite of theirs, that would be "Under Control".

I've noticed though that Casablancas seems to forget the lyrics to a few of their songs, or in some cases isn't able to hit the high notes. This can be uncomfortable to watch as their new song "Taken For A Fool" is all high notes.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a disinterested work. It's lazy and full of weak cuts. There are several decent tracks (Under the Cover of Darkness, Taken for a Fool, etc...), but most of it is chalk full of tracks that try too hard to be something when their claim to fame is the complete opposite.

Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I've noticed though that Casablancas seems to forget the lyrics to a few of their songs, or in some cases isn't able to hit the high notes. This can be uncomfortable to watch as their new song "Taken For A Fool" is all high notes.

He's always drunk/high/on something; I have literally never seen him make it through a song without slurring through words or making them up.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
The Modern Age EP is the best thing they ever released and I'm sure I'm in the minority, but:
Room On Fire > Is This It

And First Impressions of Earth could've been a pretty good album if The Strokes were a little judicious in their song selection. Lop off four or five songs and you have something. Otherwise, it's a bloated mess.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was stoked for the Strokes
They seem like friendly blokes
But the new stuff's quite a joke

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
He's always drunk/high/on something; I have literally never seen him make it through a song without slurring through words or making them up.

Really? I think he's had some great performances over the years:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget some of his greatest work.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
After seeing the performance on SNL I doubt I'll hold this album in as high of regards as I do their first two albums.

First Impressions of Earth was not a Strokes album to me, the only three tracks that have more than a few plays on my itunes are

-You only live once
- fear of sleep
and
-red light

The lead single from this new album sounds more like a strokes song, but I am not holding my breath that the album will have any of the 'lightning in a bottle' qualities the first two albums had.

Based

Reaction score
Here's the official stream of the new album for those interested: http://new.thestrokes.com/featured/l...to-angles-here I'd consider myself a casual fan, preferred Room on Fire more than I did Is this it, though both are wonderful listens for what they are (albeit conceptually the same). I didn't realize until only recently that they had even put out a third album until a friend lent me a copy of hers. As to Angles, I'd say it's definitely more in line with what the band was trying to do with their third album than the 'signature' sound that made them famous in their first two studio outings. It doesn't quite have the exact same qualities that initially drew me to the band, but it's been ten years since Is this it was released. That said, having given it a once-over, I'd say that this album is definitely worthy of a listen, though those expecting more of the same sound from their first two albums may be slightly disappointed. Oh, and I think I read somewhere that julian has been sober for a few years now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads