• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
good place to post!

It kinda depends how stiff/heavy the canvas is inside the lapels -- or if there is any interlining at all. If the the jacket has a heavier canvas, it might look bad if you added a higher button -- and tried to button it. Canvas (or whatever interlining is used) is cut so that the lapel roll stays in place. It has "memory" so it wants to roll to the same spot, usually to the middle button on a 3 button jacket or the top button on a 2. Additionally, the jacket collar is typically cut to match the angle/roll of the lapel.

So, if you buttoned the top button on a "3-roll-2" you basically force the lapel to roll up higher against its will, which can create weird pulls or bowing out of the lapels or make the collar gap. If the canvas and/or cloth is super light or there's none at all, like on a Barena or Boglioli K-jacket, it will be a easier to force close since there is no canvas structure trying to stay in place. Dry cleaners sometimes mistakenly press the lapels up to the top button. You can always try to press the lapels higher and see how it looks. Also, if you want to wear your tweed jacket like outerwear... pop the collar! and add a button to go in the lapel hole, that will keep out the chill.

a "3-roll-2" jacket buttoned the way up, courtesy of Yoox:

a true 3 button. lapels already rolled/pressed to the top button.

caveat: this mostly applies to 'classic' type jackets. also, the above may not be technically or, for that matter, grammatically correct. :)

edited for clarity.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for dropping some knowledge. Now I am less hesitant about ordering jackets off Yoox, or at least know how to better spot a 3-roll-2

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Parker!

I think i´ll try, or at least hear what "my" tailor says about it. The jacket is very classical, so I am sure it applies. As I intend to wear it more as outerwear, im no too worried about the forced lapels (but I agree it looks better in the second image).

lineate

Reaction score

uncertain of where to post, so..

I have a 2 button sports jacket in Harris tweed. Given the weight of the fabric, i´ve mostly worn it as outerwear, which makes the 2 button situation weird - i would like to cover up more when its cold. Would it be possible/adviceable to turn it into a 3 button jacket, sort of a 3-2 roll thing? So i could button the added top button and "pop the collar" when cold? Or is it just stupid?

I tried to do exactly this with a heavy corduroy jacket once. I had, I think, three different tailors tell me it wouldn't work and eventually backed down.

Parker's suggestion of the lapel hole button sounds really great though.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Thanks Parker!

I think i´ll try, or at least hear what "my" tailor says about it. The jacket is very classical, so I am sure it applies. As I intend to wear it more as outerwear, im no too worried about the forced lapels (but I agree it looks better in the second image).

If you're mostly wearing it as outerwear, like popping your collar and want to keep warm, why not open up the top button hole in the lapel and add a button or throat latch to the underside of the other one, so you can close it all the way up?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I though about that as well, but if I keept it as a 2 button, there will be alot of "unbottoned" space in between the top button and the throat latch.

XGHXXN

Reaction score
Spring Summer is coming up in this hemisphere so the hunt for a light and decent blazer is def on.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
^^ I though about that as well, but if I keept it as a 2 button, there will be alot of "unbottoned" space in between the top button and the throat latch.

True, though I've seen it done well. I guess it depends on the fit of the blazer.

lineate

Reaction score

You're right - and it can look weird.

I have a 2 button overcoat that has a top lapel button, but I've only ever used it on an obscenely cold day where I forgot a scarf.

Please ignore that fact that this is an ugly jacket, but the first and second pics show what a jacket that uses the top lapel button looks like done all the way up: http://oliverspencer.co.uk/lounge-jacket-navy-oskmp16

Last edited:

XGHXXN

Reaction score
@XGHXXN

I'm in the same boat. Hopsack or linen seems to be best material for summer.
the nanamica harbor jacket looks good but a bit heavy so I guess it's back to hunting the classic EG Bedford in navy twill

Newberry

Reaction score
Sorry I'm new to blazers and know very little about them. My question is, would the waist feel the same on a 36S and a 36R? Or is the only difference the sleeve length and bottom length? Thanks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
technically, the chance from R to S should only be about the length, but I would think that there's some 'scaling' so even if the waist is the same measurement, it's going to sit higher or lower on the body. That's my hunch

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread seems to be pretty dead but maybe someone knows—I'm looking at some Devoa suits; does anyone know if they're fused or canvased or what? Fascinate refers to an "interlining" but I don't know what the significance of that is.

happyriverz

Reaction score
This thread seems to be pretty dead but maybe someone knows—I'm looking at some Devoa suits; does anyone know if they're fused or canvased or what? Fascinate refers to an "interlining" but I don't know what the significance of that is.

Interlining can refer both to canvas and fusing, so that alone doesn't tell you whether it's fused or canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads