1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Got some Mauro Grifoni stuff that I ended up returning. Nice enough, simiilar price and construction to OC but potentially more interesting. The trousers especially had a cool, slouchy fit (SF hotword) - I sized up. Materials weren't stellar, but were reasonable for sales prices. Blazer had woven leather buttons, and was nice, but too cropped for me. Sort of standard italian #menswear stuff, I guess.

2. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I need a suit for weddings this summer, any recs?

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

^^ RLBL

5. Synthese

6. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

synth I got an error on that link

DL- I'd have to buy the pinstripe one :/

7. Synthese

sorry mate, just check the yoox sample sale if you want super cheap. Not a ton of fun colors left, but CKC occasionally has interesting things

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

When I get to Italy, I realize that all my stuff is too loose. When I get back to the States, I am like "Man, this jacket is pretty tight."

Italy has not been a style leader for a long time now. However, guys there are much more interested in fashion than American men, so you see a huge amplification of trends. In any crappy mid-sized city, there will be at least a handful of boutiques selling stuff that you only find in regional centers in North America. And you'd never hear about them on the internet. For example. in Florence, apart from Luisa via Roma, which everyone knows, and PNP-Firenze, there is Space, which carries golden Goose, Sleep, and a bunch of stuff like that, and a smaller store off via Roma, just a block from Luisa, that sells Margiela, Dries. Rick Owens, and other stuff like that - and that's not to mention that dozens of stores carrying Trickers. Church's, Buttero, Santoni, etc..., and then stores dedicated to workwear, and other stores dedicated to very #menswear like Happy Jack. These are all literally within a football field of one another. Florence is a major tourist destination, so it has a higher per capita number of stores, but remember that Milan is only an hour away via train.

imo, this amplification of trends really leads to greater extremes. You can see it in the states. In smaller cities and in large swaths of the country, you can wear an SNS sweater, and you'll be the stylish guy for miles. However, in NYC, you had better be able to differentiate yourself, and you end up The Sartorialist. The tribes are more narrowly defined, and the irony is that self-expression is more stifled. I remember coming here to Moscow, ID, and there was this very good looking girl who was really pretty stylish, but she also unironically wore an Ed hardy tee, and looked really good. You can't do that in NYC. It simply couldn't happen. This is part of the reason that I have come to hate the phrase "brand synergy". It's what is making so many boutiques look exactly the same, with the same brands, and slightly different buys.

3 people like this.
  9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

daytime? night? hot weather? mild? make sure you can bust a move in it is my general advice.

hahah. good comparison. speaking of styling, I always liked the Boglioli spring 09 lookbook. Dreads with sprezz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would probably look really dumb in these combos, btu these guys look pretty cool to me.

8 people like this.
  10. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love the frayed edges on this velvet jacket.

[​IMG]

this one might be abit much though
    [​IMG]

thinking of buying this though

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

12. Synthese

That sounds like hell.n

13. Synthese

Go for linen

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ouch. Def. not anything with poly/synthetic fiber. You'll roast. I'd go with cotton, linen, or super lightweight (tropical) wool if you need to be a little more formal. I have an off-white cotton (Boglioli) suit, totally unlined, for those types of hot, outdoor daytime things. Can you get away with no tie?

As long as there is a good return policy/reasonable shipping, I'd not worry about buying online.

15. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Ok I thought polyester would be like cotton but I guess not. Ya I dont usually wear ties

Maybe I'll get an unlined suit, I never really liked that idea though

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Maybe really thing polyester though Parker could perhaps verify this i.e. Uniqlo loves poly mix jackets for S/S but it is also really thin and transparent

17. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

i second the recommendation for tropical wool. super lightweight and plainweave rather than twill, so it's sort of like wearing superfine wool mesh. i don't know where you'd begin looking for a tropical wool suit though.

18. AlexInExile

AlexInExile Senior member

19. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

xpost from MC. I figured I'll get better answers here, like my early posts ITT :D

"What would be the best color combination utilizing knitted wool tie? The tie's desaturated brown, almost khaki in color. It was a present; by A.P.C., very nice tie in itself. I live in the tropics. I would say very light blue or pale yellow for the shirt color? Or probably checked/ gingham with a bit of earth tones? As for the jacket, all I've got are navy double breasted worsted wool*, tan cord, and black linen."

*this is a secondary question. Got this very 80s orphaned DB jacket off thrifted. Navy worsted with verrryy subtle glen plaid It can pass for solid. Any way to make this one this-thread-level-cool?