• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
I'm gonna have to reiterate a previous statement - goddamn you guys for turning me on to Paul Smith, and better shoes in general.

From last year, I took my everyday shoes from:

shoes002.jpg

(in before "LOL Ecco", "LOL square toe", and "LOL no shoe trees")

to this:
shoes004.jpg

(DBs in Taupe, Paul Smith York, and AE Park Aves).

Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style?

After that, it's finding something in a leather with a similar look to my Eccos, except somewhat less ******. That'll happen later, though.

You definitely need some more DBs. They come in other colors, ya know.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone's interested, I think I'm putting my Buttero's up for sale later today. They're the anthracite, size 41.5 and they're mint. They'll fit a true 10, or like myself, a slightly wide 9.5 with a little extra room.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Veggie
600_600_1711_4.jpg

I've been looking around and around $200 the Loak Shilton were the best ones I could find for boots that would go well with stacked jeans. Anybody have any recommendations?

The Shilton is not bad. I have it for my rainy day beater boot. I do not think you would be wrong getting a pair.

cicero79

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
I'm gonna have to reiterate a previous statement - goddamn you guys for turning me on to Paul Smith, and better shoes in general.

From last year, I took my everyday shoes from:

shoes002.jpg

(in before "LOL Ecco", "LOL square toe", and "LOL no shoe trees")

to this:
shoes004.jpg

(DBs in Taupe, Paul Smith York, and AE Park Aves).

Definitely better, but I've got some gaps. Biggest one now is a pair of black boots - thinking some sort of a chukka to keep things versatile, but still doing research. Would like to keep it at $150 or less - I copped the PS for like $225 at a retail shop sometime last year and that took a lot of deliberation. Any quick suggestions on seeing my current style?

After that, it's finding something in a leather with a similar look to my Eccos, except somewhat less ******. That'll happen later, though.

Very impressive in its simplicity. I'm going for the minimal but functional foray myself. Glad to see that it is possible. Currently I have 2 pairs of Park Ave's , one Dark Brown and Black, and a pair of Spring Courts.

I'm thinking of selling the brown and saving up for a pair of either the Katahdins or the Mark McNairy Chelsea that Epaulet is selling. Any ideas?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cicero79
Very impressive in its simplicity. I'm going for the minimal but functional foray myself. Glad to see that it is possible. Currently I have 2 pairs of Park Ave's , one Dark Brown and Black, and a pair of Spring Courts.

I'm thinking of selling the brown and saving up for a pair of either the Katahdins or the Mark McNairy Chelsea that Epaulet is selling. Any ideas?

who makes that Chelsea?

of course, that and the Katahdin are much different from one another and there is a big price difference

Veggie

Reaction score
If I wear a 8.5 in sneaker size do I go one size down for boots?

mickeymickey

Reaction score
Here are some of my shoes and boots:

LL Bean Maine Hunting boots for poor weather.
4226015457_c4efe6abac.jpg

Sperry for J. Crew Chukka in brown nubuck - I just got these for Christmas and so far I love them. They're very comfortable and I really like the look of them.
4226013327_e1248a7b8c.jpg

Justin Roper boots - I got these used on eBay for $35. I bought them solely to wear to bars because I have an unfortunate habit of drinking and beating up my more expensive boots. Notice the deep scratch on these.
4129957052_d1d61a4361.jpg

Gordon Rush boots - Got these from Gordon Rush sales on Gilt. These are my favorites and I get a lot of compliments on them
4234993728_b1c081d770.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sancho Panzo Christ
so, i know this question has been debated to death, but what's the general consensus on a good black chelsea at the moment? older threads seem to recommend charles tyrwhitt, anyone have experience with these? i'm not real into rm williams, but am looking for somethign around that price range. i appreciate anyone's help on this one.

Since nobody seems to have answered this question, here are some things to think about - extended sole lip versus tight sole lip; quality of leather, construction. I think an extended sole lip is better with bootcut jeans or trousers, but otherwise the tight sole lip is preferrable.

I've heard that the tyrwhitt's leather quality leaves a bit to be desired. RM williams is probably the standard in the $250-400 range.

I own the Bruno Magli Kent (bad construction, bad leather quality, balanced against extended sole lip, and general good appearance when new/polished). I, however, will not be recrafting them or buying another pair (but keep in mind they did last a long time and were only $20-40 brand new off ebay).

Once the Magli's give out, I plan to replace them with the Tricker's Lambourn in black (which I already have). Great construction, great leather quality, tight sole lips, closed channelled sole construction. More of a dress boot than a denim boot, but it should work well with a straight or taper jean.

I also own and wear the AE Taunton in brown suede, and I have a brand new brown leather Taunton waiting to go. Some people don't like the upper construction as there's a seam on the instep that drives people nuts; but this seam is virtually impossible to see when in action, as the trouser covers it. You can occasionally find the Taunton in the $150-200 range NIB on ebay; it is a discontinued model.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Since nobody seems to have answered this question, here are some things to think about - extended sole lip versus tight sole lip; quality of leather, construction. I think an extended sole lip is better with bootcut jeans or trousers, but otherwise the tight sole lip is preferrable.

I've heard that the tyrwhitt's leather quality leaves a bit to be desired. RM williams is probably the standard in the $250-400 range.

I own the Bruno Magli Kent (bad construction, bad leather quality, balanced against extended sole lip, and general good appearance when new/polished). I, however, will not be recrafting them or buying another pair (but keep in mind they did last a long time and were only $20-40 brand new off ebay).

Once the Magli's give out, I plan to replace them with the Tricker's Lambourn in black (which I already have). Great construction, great leather quality, tight sole lips, closed channelled sole construction. More of a dress boot than a denim boot, but it should work well with a straight or taper jean.

I also own and wear the AE Taunton in brown suede, and I have a brand new brown leather Taunton waiting to go. Some people don't like the upper construction as there's a seam on the instep that drives people nuts; but this seam is virtually impossible to see when in action, as the trouser covers it. You can occasionally find the Taunton in the $150-200 range NIB on ebay; it is a discontinued model.

if you only want a black chelsea, then Baxter boots (a kind of rival of RM Williams) is also an option.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwsbbc
How is the sizing on the katahdins? Are they true to size? I had to size down 1 whole size and have heard more from other people on the maine hunting shoe.

I got them in the same size as my dress shoe size. Some here said to go down half a size so I did that originally but they were too small length-wise. They are half to a full size down from my sneakers/running shoes.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
The LL Bean stock photos provide an accurate representation of the way the boots will look when they arrive. I treated mine with Sno-Seal and then hit them with a quick polish using Kiwi brown, which is why they ended up with a slight sheen (instead of the matte appearance that Bean's photos show).

I think the boots look much, much better after a polish.

Did you use creme or wax polish?

chroMe

Reaction score
I'm looking for some brown boots and found these trickers x belfast bureau:

tricksxbelfasto.jpg
tricksxbelfasty.jpg

tricksxbelfast.jpg

I've bought a few shirts in the same yellow colour vein so may get them in a few weeks.

mickeymickey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
the justin boots are better than all your other boots.
Originally Posted by bwsbbc
Nice selection. I almost like the j. ropers more than the gordon rush boots.

That is really surprising. Maybe the picture just doesn't do the Gordon Rush boots justice because they're about a million times better looking than the Justin boots.

4235920600_fb9a53ff94.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads