The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Johnny_5, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Fiddy, those look great! I've been googling these boots and it seems like in every picture it's a different shade of brown and in some it even looks suede. Are the pics on the LL Bean site the most accurate for how they look like out of the box, or do you have better ones? Thanks!

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

Fiddy, those look great! I've been googling these boots and it seems like in every picture it's a different shade of brown and in some it even looks suede. Are the pics on the LL Bean site the most accurate for how they look like out of the box, or do you have better ones? Thanks!

The LL Bean stock photos provide an accurate representation of the way the boots will look when they arrive. I treated mine with Sno-Seal and then hit them with a quick polish using Kiwi brown, which is why they ended up with a slight sheen (instead of the matte appearance that Bean's photos show).

I think the boots look much, much better after a polish.

4. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

JV Chukka
    [​IMG]

what model is this? and do you have other angles?

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

6. JRMul22

JRMul22 Member

Anyone with some experience with CP safari boots care to comment on what they think? Considering picking up a pair.

7. toade

toade Senior member

As already mentioned, RW Iron Rangers can be had for under $170 and they trump the three you posted. Also, definitely consider investing in F&B and/or Buttero. You will see and feel the difference. Barney's Coop has sales from time to time and you can score a pair of either for under $300. So you're basically laying out what you already did to own two very good pair of boots as opposed to three not so good pair.

Ok, took everyone's advice, and made it to Barney's to see some Buttero's and F&Bs in person. Really like what I saw, especially F&B. I was able to find a great deal on some F&B 709s, like this:
    http://www.gimmeshoes.com/product_in...roducts_id=169

I love them, they look great on, unfortunately they are a little small (9 was the only size available on sale). I really have to struggle to get them on, and once on, it's not too long before my feet are pretty uncomfortable. Well a boot like this stretch and feel more comfortable with time, or do they need to go back?

Anyone have a 9.5 or 10 F&B that is a bit too big on them?

Thanks all.

8. genericman

genericman Senior member

Which to get? Don't have access to physical store... F+B [​IMG] or W+H [​IMG]

9. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

The LL Bean stock photos provide an accurate representation of the way the boots will look when they arrive. I treated mine with Sno-Seal and then hit them with a quick polish using Kiwi brown, which is why they ended up with a slight sheen (instead of the matte appearance that Bean's photos show).

I think the boots look much, much better after a polish.

I really like the shade of brown you've achieved. Did it darken because of the snoseal, or was it more from the brown polish? Also did you apply it unevenly to get that distressed look? I searched this forum and there was a thread about these boots saying to use Obenauf's LP, but I'm wondering if brown polish on top of that is necessary.

10. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Which to get? Don't have access to physical store...

F+B
    [​IMG]

]

Only one choice for me

11. snake

snake Senior member

Have that exact F+B, love it to death.

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Ok, took everyone's advice, and made it to Barney's to see some Buttero's and F&Bs in person. Really like what I saw, especially F&B. I was able to find a great deal on some F&B 709s, like this: http://www.gimmeshoes.com/product_in...roducts_id=169 I love them, they look great on, unfortunately they are a little small (9 was the only size available on sale). I really have to struggle to get them on, and once on, it's not too long before my feet are pretty uncomfortable. Well a boot like this stretch and feel more comfortable with time, or do they need to go back? Anyone have a 9.5 or 10 F&B that is a bit too big on them? Thanks all.
    They aren't going to stretch a half size. Just go back and ask the SA to check other stores and have it shipped to you.
    Which to get? Don't have access to physical store... F+B [​IMG] or W+H [​IMG]
    Extremely different pricing, W+H are quite a bit more expensive. The F+B in question have a really interesting texture to the leather (rather like nubuck, quite soft). Both are well made boots but I'd give the point to Dayton in a comparison

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

what model is this? and do you have other angles?
    It's just a JV chukka, the box had no model name on it. Here's a pic I had saved.
    [​IMG]

14. mikey34

mikey34 Senior member

what model are those f&b's?

15. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

I really like the shade of brown you've achieved. Did it darken because of the snoseal, or was it more from the brown polish? Also did you apply it unevenly to get that distressed look? I searched this forum and there was a thread about these boots saying to use Obenauf's LP, but I'm wondering if brown polish on top of that is necessary.

The Sno-Seal darkens it substantially. I applied a single coat liberally yet evenly to a warm boot, then used a hair dryer to help the leather absorb it. After that, I followed up with a quick polish.

Obenauf's would do just fine, I have Sno-Seal on hand so that's what was used in this case.

As far as distressing goes, you don't have to be concerned with that in the least. These boots won't look very new for long in my experience. Mine when pictured only had 4 days of wear on them.