1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Johnny_5, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Andersen

Andersen Member

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

shoto is bad, i had a pair for 1 month and it started falling apart

3. Andersen

Andersen Member

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

can anyone suggest a good beater combat boot, preferably in regular black leather with a tall shaft, kinda like a buttero but not as tall of a shaft, zip combo w/laces is a plus

5. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

All Saints, when on sale.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

idk about that one, i tried their jacket and it wasnt pleasant but thanks anyway

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

John Varvatos on sale?

Not JV USA but the mainline is actually decent.

8. darkdream

darkdream Senior member

The issue with John Varvatos' combat boots are that they have rather short shafts. I have a couple, but looking for a boot with a longer shaft like sinnedk does.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

buttero was a hit with the forum, i had the jv combat boot, soles wore out quick, leather was ok

10. PureInc

PureInc Member

Scouring for a pair of Derbys to be worn with jeans. I'd prefer a book-like appearance (showing stitch and lace detail with pants), higher quality/structure, a simple classy upper, $200-$400 price range. I already have a pair of boots and am in need of a streetwear oxford-style shoe. I probably should be looking into Chukkas but have only been searching Derbys lately. So far I've perused a lot of Varvatos's collection and like the look of this "dress" shoe:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I don't think they're worth $275 being made in China.

I was able to snag a pair of Varvatos Ago Derbys (below) and the quality is definitely there (Italian made). However I'm not crazy about the aesthetic: the quarter is too 'low-profile' if you catch my drift. With a pair of straight leg jeans on you can hardly see the stitching and lace detail making it look almost like a loafer.

[​IMG]

Below are a pair of Varvatos calf skin Derbys that might be more of what I'm looking for with a boot-like appearance (also Italian made). Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Any advice on good Derby or Chukka brands/models would be greatly appreciated. Varvatos just happens to have a lot of what I'm looking for: quality, clean, classy but not for a suit. I'm not attached to the brand by any means.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

The first pair looks too formal for denim. I think you're right about the second pair. The third pair might be OK with jeans. I think you should look into something more casual though, like a brogue or chukka.

12. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

as if i need any more black shoes...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. PureInc

PureInc Member

Having a big uniform outsole like that on a lace up looks goofy to me. Something lower profile with a proper heel looks best I think.

I've ordered a pair of TBNY similar to the dress Varvatos from Zappos just to try on. However I think they're going to be too dressy for daily wear with jeans, like you said. I guess what I need to find is something with less of a polished/shiny look. I think that would take enough of the dressy edge off for a button down & jeans. I have a pair of Calvin Klein Caesars (below) which have rough leather (not sure what the proper term is) and look terrific with jeans. I also think I should probably lean toward brown as a step further from formal.

[​IMG]

I'd like similar aesthetics in a derby. I found a pair of Frye's (below) that have the leather effect but they have a cap toe and I'd really prefer plain. I also don't know too much about Frye and their shoe quality. Does anyone know of brands/models similar to this I could look into? Remove the cap toe and it would be gold.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input.

14. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Gunmetal Shell sounds badass (too dressy?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i think those are probably like $900 so may belong in the baller boot thread

16. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Yep.

17. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

neat them up a bit and they'll be fine.

I don't really like chukkas though.

Rider makes a nice boot.

18. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

creepers aren't for everyone. they never were.

not sold on the crepe sole, though...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  19. Denim

Denim Senior member

Those look sick... Can you pm me where I can get a pair?

20. djt00

djt00 Senior member

workboots are so out :) I have a pair of fiorentini+baker 745's. good boots but doesn't get too much wear these days